Home U.S. Coin Forum

1913 5 cent nickel

I have a US 5 cent nickel dated 1913 I bought from a local stamp shop twenty years ago, I bought it in a mix bag of foreign coins and the dealer have little knowledge about coins since he mainly deals in stamps. I never showed it to anyone or had it valued.....image

Comments

• p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    Aren't all 1913 nickels 5 cents? image
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the Philadelphia mint produced 60,852,239 nickels in 1913. Of these, 60,852,220 were of the Indian Head design. Odds are good you have one of these (they were also minted in Denver and San Francisco)

Depending on the condition, they are worth about 7 cents on up.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • unspendableunspendable Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    does the buffalo have a full horn?
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Look for a mint mark (a "D" or an "S") below and between FIVE CENTS on the back of the coin.

Also, is the Buffalo standing on a what appears to be a table top or a rocky bluff?

If your coin is an "S" mint AND the Buffalo appears to be stading on a table top (known as a TYPE 2), then you have a pretty valuable coin regardless of it's condition.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Got pics?
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three types of nickels from 1913.

1913 Liberty nickel.
    Five known. Worth millions. Forget it- they're all accounted for. If yours looks like this, it's phony.

imageimage

1913 Type 1 Buffalo nickel.
    Note the reverse. The buffalo is on a raised mound.

imageimage

1913 Type 2 Buffalo nickel.
    Note the reverse. The buffalo is on a small mound over a line, with "FIVE CENTS" in exergue (that recessed area below the line).

imageimage

Images from coinfacts.com.

Additionally, if it is a Buffalo nickel, check for a "D" or "S" mintmark beneath "FIVE CENTS". (There may be no mintmark there at all, in which case it's from Philadelphia. "D" is Denver and "S" is San Francisco.)

The 1913-S Type 2 is the best one to have, but they are all nice coins. The more common date and mintmark combinations are not necessarily worth very much money in lower grades, but they're great coins- a true American classic.

Chances are, if you bought yours in a cheap bag of world coins twenty years ago, you got it at a good price. I see you're in England.

Here are the Numismedia prices for the circulated Buffalo nickels. (In US dollars. An approximation only.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I'll post the pic soon,

btw what buffalo?
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll post the pic soon,

btw what buffalo? >>

havin fun yet?

<< <i>btw what buffalo? >>

He's got the sixth known 1913 Liberty nickel, apparently. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If yours looks like this, it's phony. -- Wasn't that a quote from someone at Stacks back in the early 60s?? >>

maybe I can find one with my M D
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>btw what buffalo? >>

He's got the sixth known 1913 Liberty nickel, apparently. image >>

I have 3 of them, you mean they are not real? image
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

<< <i>maybe I can find one with my M D >>

I have found one with my metal detector. A 1913 Type 1 Buffalo, that is. But not the prettiest one around.

cool, mine was very pitted, still waiting for the pic
    Yeah, my dug 1913 Ty 1 was pretty fugly, too.

• April Fools......image
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1913 Liberty nickel.
    Five known. Worth millions. Forget it- they're all accounted for. If yours looks like this, it's phony. >>

And everyday, I get to look at two of them! Life is good . . . image

Lane

P.S. Oh yeah, not to mention a couple of 1804 dollars as well. And no, I am not thinking "April Fools."
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>April Fools......image >>

You really had a couple of folks going!!!
    Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file