Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Edward I Silver Penny 13th Century - Scans

yes, its actually a King Edward I Penny (noy Ed III as previously stated), Great Britain, from some time during his reign of 1272 - 1307. I looked at the paperwork that the archiologist provided and that is what she identified it as. she went on to say that even though coin shows damage, it is not particularly worn for its age. and based on where it was found, it probably was still at kings residence / mint.
for those of you not up on last naights thread, this coin was found by my uncle while on jobsite for british national trust. he knew i am interested in coins and kindly gave to me.
the silver penny was the largest currency for its time.
these scans were done from a bad scanner, actual detail is much better, will repost when i gets me new scanner....

here is the front:

on front, one can see shoulders of monarch touching inner circle, by following shoulders up, one can make out kings face and crown, can be seen better in person.

here is the back:

keen to hear comments, glad this has caused some interest.

should i clean this coin? if so, how?

wayne
first became interested in cardboard at the age of three. since then i have collected varying examples of textures, corregation grades, glue types, etc. from all over the world. Finding this site and fellow collectors who are as equally devoted to the phenomenon has brought a whole new point, purpose and meaning to my exsitence.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice find!

<< <i>should i clean this coin? >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    thanks for advice on (not) cleaning
    first became interested in cardboard at the age of three. since then i have collected varying examples of textures, corregation grades, glue types, etc. from all over the world. Finding this site and fellow collectors who are as equally devoted to the phenomenon has brought a whole new point, purpose and meaning to my exsitence.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it be.

Here's a Hollywood tie-in for your coin. image

Note for those who didn't already know it: Edward I (1272-1307), known as "Longshanks", was a strong king who pacified England's borders with Wales and Scotland, and ruled with an iron fist. He is portrayed by Patrick McGoohan, as the baddie in the movie "Braveheart". I thought it was a terrific performance. I always liked a good movie villain.

(From the Scottish point of view, Edward I of England would've been the bad guy. In fact, my distant ancestor Robert the Bruce, for whom my Robertson forbears took their name, was one who fought against Longshanks.)

A truly fascinating find.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Wayne, that's a nice Edward I penny.image With a great history.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin, Wayne image

And please don't clean it image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    i remember going on a tour of the London Tower, and on the tower grounds was an Edward I throne room. Somewhere on the grounds, I'm pretty sure, was also a mint.
  • Options
    Wayne, it's hard to tell from the scans but I'd say $20-25.