Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need help from Dansco Type Set folks

I went to the Santa Clara show today and picked up a 1838 Coronet Large Cent. I just put it into my Dansco Type album and it fits really loose. I mean it will move around in my album. Anybody else find this to be the case?

Tom

Edit to correct date

Comments

• Options
    same as mine ,I understand they came in slightly different diameters,so they made the hole large enough to accept the larger ones also.
  • Options
    I too have a 1838 Coronet Large Cent that slides around in its' hole.

The reason is that Large Cents from 1816-1836 were 28-29 mm in diameter, but Large Cents from 1835-1857 were 27.5 mm in diameter.

Since the slot is for 1816-1839, it needs to accomodate coins as large as 29mm, but since your is an 1838 and thence a 27.5 mm coin, it slides around.
    to live outside the law, you must be honest ---- bd
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a pain in the a$$
  • Options
    Thanks very much!
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I didnt realize the diameter issue. Sounds like I'll be looking for an early date to fill that slot.

David
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks very much! >>

imageimage
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Mine does the same too.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may encounter the same problem with Capped Bust (Lettered Edge) halves and other open-collar-struck coins- their diameters varied a little.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file