Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Orchids and coins...

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
sure do go well together...

Most of you dont know that I am a flower freak as well. Unfortunately the Navy is not conducive to active gardening since you move, go on a ship etc...

Hawaii is a bit different though and orchids are abundent here. I have to admit that I went to my first orchid show the other day. Man...I thought coins were expensive!!
Snapped these shots and it hit me why I love the coins that I do!!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Both are beautiful specimens image
  • Options
    Actually I like the flowers better.image
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    Nice! My wife used to collect and propagate Orchids when she lived in the Philippines. I like to garden but prefer flowers that have nice fragrance. Some Orchids do, I guess most don't.
  • Options
    Those are great, unfortunately I have to grow mine in the conservatory
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. We always have some nice orchids in all the public areas here where I work. (Five-Star resorts don't do no fake flowers!)

How 'bout orchids and coins in the same picture!

imageimage

(Courtesy link to the site I borrowed the pics from)

<< <i>Actually I like the flowers better. image >>

SACRILEGE! BURN HIM! image
    (Tell ya what, Scott... send me some coins like those, and I'll cheerfully steal some nice orchids from work and carefully ship 'em to you.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally have an affinity for orchids. The problem is, I know I would go right off the deep end if I bought just one plant.

Orchids are like potato chips. You can't have just one.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Beautiful combination.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post. It has me longing to visit Hawaii again.
  • Options
    Both are beautiful - I especially like the Indian cent. BTW, what kind of toning will the orchids have in a hundred years or so? image I've heard they can live for a long time...image
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    A friend of my dads here in florida raises orchids, he's got over 50,000 plants and replenished the supplies at the orchid gardens in Miami when the hurricanes came threw.

He brought a few ferns and orchids from across the ocean when it wasn't as heavily moderated, some of which there's still less than a dozen in the states.

Not all orchids have bad scents either, he's got one that smells EXACTLY like cream soda and one that smells exactly like grape soda to name a few. (And I mean exactly) Coincidentally, he collects coins as well image.

PS: If you were caught smuggling orchids back over to the states now you'd be in more trouble than if it was drugs.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    Someone please enlighten me about this orchid stuff. It's illegal to import them? They're expensive? Why?
  • Options
    RodiusRodius Posts: 857
    Nice orchids, I wish I could raise them. I live in upstate ny and they do not do well here except for the wild variety, The Lady Slipper. Nice coins too!!

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Saul Goode lieutenant!!!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I never thought I would reply to a post with flowers in it, but those colors are amazing (the flowers, I mean).
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Hello all,

They are all very nice! image

Orchids are going to be "my next madness".

-g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orchids, especially the white one in my picture, can live to be over 100 years old...

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Very nice.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Gimme GANJA!! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file