Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How far have you gone to buy a coin?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm considering a trip halfway around the world to bid on one coin. If I go, it would cost me three grueling days and $1500 in expenses. Not to mention the cost of the coin!

Can you top that?

I'm not just talking about distances.

For example, have you ever sold your car to buy a coin? Have you ever taken a second job to pay for a coin? Have you ever mortgaged your house to pay for a coin?

You get the idea, I think.

So, how far have you gone to buy a coin?
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've whined that it was my birthday and the coin really should be for sale, and I got the coin image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    A couple blocks, and once I skipped lunch.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you top that? >>

No.

I've gone to some pretty dang remote places to dig up old coins, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I drove 6 hours to Long Beach once... Well, maybe twice...

I've purchased coins from much farther, but the USPS made it seem much closer.

It sounds like you have an exciting life MrEureka. Go for it. Write a blog while you travel. I'll read it, maybe others will too.
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    I sold about 50 different morgans vams to buy a 1967 Mustang fastback.....still got the car too.....oh wait thats the reverse of what you wanted. I did have to drive 3 hours to get the car.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have an exciting life MrEureka.

Carl - You've never taken a 10-hour red-eye flight and gone straight from the airport to lot viewing, have you? It's not so much exciting as it is sick.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I went out on a limb once, buying a coin.

Ray
  • Options
    Nothing sick about it Andy!!! Who is telling you that, or do you feel guilty about it? You have an expertise and passion for something, and I would do the same thing for a coin. Can you PM me on what it is, just for my own curiousity??image

I sold most my Travelers stock back in mid 90's for a 1933 $10 Eagle. Stock plummeted, and the coin, well......One of the best investments I ever made. Have sold much to buy coins. Should of sold more...

The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• Options
    >Carl - You've never taken a 10-hour red-eye flight and gone straight from the airport to lot viewing, have >you? It's not so much exciting as it is sick.

No, I haven't done that.

I have taken a 14 hour red-eye flight for vacation travel. Then we went straight to the Duty Free shop. Then we went to my parents in law's house. We left at 9 PM and arrived at 1 AM after crossing the International Date Line. While I was a wreck it sure was easier to get 1/3 the way across the planet than it would have been when Seated Liberty coins were being minted.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I went to the FUN show from Maryland to pick up a 1914 Saint for my birthday.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm considering a trip halfway around the world to bid on one coin. If I go, it would cost me three grueling days and $1500 in expenses. Not to mention the cost of the coin! >>

Found some more of King Farouk's relatives have you image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    guess going to China to pick up some trade dollars doesnt count! image
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m an astronaut. I placed a bid on ebay from the space station about two years ago. I won the coin. It costs about $.022 per mircrogram to put someone in space. My mass is about 8165000 centigrams. Do I win?

David
  • Options
    Ok, I realize I'm a day early on April fools day, but darn it. I couldnt resist.

David
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Occasionally, I have to walk to the next room to get the phone to make the call to buy the coin. image
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "I've gone to some pretty dang remote places to dig up old coins, though. "

Yup, I've slogged through swamps, suffered through numerous nasty cases of poison ivy, climbed down into some dangerous, collapsing old underground dirt storage cellars, faced down swarms of mosquitos, dug under 5 inch roots, and have had my vehicle ransacked a number of times while hunting for that elusive barber (or better) bling-bling.

"I’m an astronaut. I placed a bid on ebay from the space station about two years ago. I won the coin. It costs about $10,000 per pound to put someone in space. I way 180 lbs. Do I win?"

Wow, an astronaut and you cant even spell "weigh"! Oh well, it ain't rocket science, I guess.image

Jim
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90 miles is about as far as I've gone image
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife and I interupted our honeymoon and went to a show and auction the afternoon after we got married. I bought two bust half dollars (got shut out on the auction). I figured I might as well let her know what our life would be like.image

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    I've been to Hell and back for coins I want, frequently. A lot of dealers make it feel that way at least.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Carl - You've never taken a 10-hour red-eye flight and gone straight from the airport to lot viewing, have you? It's not so much exciting as it is sick. >>

Nope, never considered it. Maybe if you ask nicely, Legend will represent you on the coin image

Aren't you going to tell us where it is? My guess is a UBS auction in Switzerland. Am I close?
  • Options
    I've gone off the deep end before to buy a coin...

Wait, that doesn't count - it's just what my wife thinks. image

Ken
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, when I had my " I'm buying Coin Collections" ad running in the Vietnam News as well as the local buy/sell "in Vietnamese" papers, I received a call to come look at a collection in the Chinatown ( Cholon) section of town ( I was living full time in Saigon, 2001). I went with my secretaries and a body guard on motorcycle to go and look and what a really cool experience.

Lots of neat stuff especially in antiques which I know little, tons of common coins and paper money but none of the better coins in my opinion were real.

Quite an experience though.

It's uncomfortable sitting and typing, so I'll leave it at that. Hope to be able to add some input soon. Where ya headed Andy?

Tomimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've purchased coins from much farther, but the USPS made it seem much closer. >>

Funny image

I went to a pawn shop in a REALLY bad neighborhood to buy a coin. Does that count for anything?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Wow, an astronaut and you cant even spell "weigh"! Oh well, it ain't rocket science, I guess.

Sorry, I edited the statement to put it in terms you could better understand. image Weight is a vague term anyway. There are so many variables that factor into it.

David
  • Options
    1,300-something miles from Boston area to the FUN show in Orlando last year...
  • Options
    I've traveled thousands of miles for shows, but I don't think that's the same as doing something for one specific piece. My most memorable experience in this realm was several years ago (I believe I was 12 or 13 at the time)...I spent an entire summer (and then a few weeks into the school year) doing yardwork and any other little jobs that neighbors would give me to accumulate enough cash to buy a PR63 Seated Half at a local shop. I still have the coin, and I still remember how much I hated digging holes!

Kyle
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I had to go to the movies to get my latest addition to my state quarter collection.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    You come to the Netherlands???

Dennisimage
  • Options

<< <i>guess going to China to pick up some trade dollars doesnt count! image >>

...yeah there's nothing like getting a brand new one fresh off the presses!

-g image
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options

For my 15-D in 66RD, I got up at 3:00 A.M. and drove from Minneapolis to Chicago (about 6 hr. drive). I met QDB there and had him wish me well with the bidding by writing a note and signing right over the lot description in the catalog. Then I got in a bidding war with Bender and Andy (well, actually Andy's wife), but there was no way I was going through all that and then drive home empty handed! So, I drove 12 hours, paid way too much, but I got my one penny.

I got home late that night and my wife just shook her head. She knows I have a disease and that from time to time it just gets out of control.image

Jack
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I have neve gone far to view or buy a specific coin. So I guess my answer would be the 1/2 mile to the post office.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I almost went over a dead body to get a coin, as in my wife saying, "you'll buy that over my dead body". Does that count?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224

<< <i>So, how far have you gone to buy a coin? >>

I'm not one to go out of my way looking for that one special coin ... figured I would just let them come to me. Both eBay and USPS make this a lot easier ...

As far as travel goes ... cross state is about the furthest I will go. St Louis for Central States in May will probably be the next road trip. After that ... Wichita KS in June probably.

Steve
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I remember waking up very early one Saturday morning in college, when emerging from slumber before noon was a feat worthy of recognition. Coffee, shower, finding keys in the dark, then driving over the Blue Ridge Mountains after dawn to get to a tiny country auction early enough to do lot viewing. There was a barn auction with several early gold coins in it, a "secret auction" that I heard about because I worked in the local antique trade in Virginia at the time. Despite the inordinate effort of getting out of bed with a hangover and before noon, I knew the hard work would pay off ...

... until I pulled into the lot, and saw none other than MrEureka standing at the door of the barn with a cup of coffee and a smile. He'd come all the way from New York.

Doh!

At least I got a nice Cracker Barrell breakfast for my effort.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

... until I pulled into the lot, and saw none other than MrEureka standing at the door of the barn with a cup of coffee and a smile. He'd come all the way from New York.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file