Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More BLATANT Coin Photo Picture Theft - by a cop, no less: He ended auction once - NOW relisted agai

I was alerted this morning by LittleJohn that someone may be using my photos on eBay - so I went and looked here - sure enough my photos cropped and lightened. So I emailed the guy from his auction site and told him to take them off NOW, and he admitted that he was using my photos, and said this:

I USED ONE OF YOUR PHOTOS THE LARGE FULL ONE, AND THERE ARE NO COPYRIGHT EMBLEMS ON IT. ..... I AM SORRY YOU ARE UPSET DID NOT HAVE ANY IDEA YOU SUPPOSEDLY COPYRIGHTED THE PHOTOS. I CANNOT TAKE THE ONE OFF, WITHOUT ENDING THE AUCTION. CONTACT EBAY IF YOU MUST. I DID NOTHING WRONG, AND LIVE CLOSE TO YOU. YOU CAN CALL ME AT xxx-xxx-xxxx. I APOLOGIZE FOR USING THE LARGE FULL COIN ONE, BUT MY SCANNER WOULD NOT LET ME COLOR MY COIN THAT CLEAR. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO, DO YOU WANT PAYMENT FOR THE PHOTO. LET ME KNOW. AGAIN I AM SORRY FOR USING ONE OF YOUR PHOTOS.

and this:

Pam
I did not use but one of your photos, and there are no copyright emblems on it. The one I used was the full coin one... my scanner would not work on full one.
I will pay you for photo if you want. I cannot change photo now or loose my bid , and cost of ad. Also
You may call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I did not mean to make you upset, and will gladly do anything I can to correct the problem. You need to mention your photos are copyrighted, or put c on them , I am a retired police officer and did not mean to do anything to upset you.
THANKS
Richard

and then I emailed him back and said this:

Both of those photos are mine. I went to a lot of hard work, time and cost to do that. If you had read the..... you would have read the copyright infringement rules. The only thing you can do to please me is to take them OFF of your auction immediately. I do not CARE if you lose bids - you are getting them with STOLEN photos of SOMEONE ELSE'S COIN..... DO YOU UNDERSTAND, that is NOT EVEN the coin that you are actually selling. I will call you now.

and then this

(link to) Item Description and Picture Theft <--------Try reading eBay Policy

I know for a fact that both of those photos are copied from mine. The photos on the other two websites listed in my auction are ALSO copyrighted by me. I will give you 15 minutes and you will be reported. I see you are in no hurry to end your auction.

End of story:
So after due stress and time - I finally called him - what I said is below........he finally ended his auction. I will be watching to see if he relists with the one photo that he 'says' is not mine. If he uses it again, there will be no emailing or phone calls.

He states he scanned the close up - that's bullcrockery. I have tried scanning the spear and it doesn't pick up on scanner for some reason. He is a cop that is outright lying, committing fraud and admitted it to me. You'd think he'd know better in his profession??

He then proceeded to tell me on the phone that he had been on eBay since 1998 with no problems - and I said "well did you read the big RED letters before you clicked SUBMIT on the auction about fraudulent listings?" And he tried to squirrel his way out of it and offered to pay me for photos. I declined. When I asked him where he got the photos he said "from your auction"..................

Only on eBay. image

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He is a cop that is outright lying, committing fraud and admitted it to me >>

Former cop image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the auction was closed and relisted.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    That ain't right image
    Wayne
  • Options
    Are you saying he isn't selling one of these speared bison things? (whatever they are)
  • Options
    yep - he fancied it up a bit and relisted - I emailed him this:

Please note that I have alerted the authorities to your dishonest practice. You must be sure that the photos you use do not belong to me . . . as a graphic artist and photographer for over ten years, you can be assured that I CAN TELL - as can the authorities.

Pam

now - who do I tell about this. I have no clue. He is one lying SOB!

• Options
    I do the same thing..not copywrited? Hey, I tell them they stole MY pictures that I used on a flyer...Prove different...No dont think so.
    He's an ex-cop and he "Cracked" .....no good cop- bad cop?..he just spilled his guts and copped out..must be an ex LA cop that worked on the OJ case.
    See you cant even trust a cop let alone an Ebayer
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Are the pictures copywrited?
  • Options
    Former cop

Once a cop - always a cop!

I do respect the profession - my son is one.
  • Options
    TWQG - try reading eBay policy about picture theft - it's not allowed.
  • Options

<< <i>He is a cop that is outright lying, committing fraud and admitted it to me. You'd think he'd know better in his profession?? >>

I watched cop after cop perjure themselves while testifying under oath. A little Ebay picture stealing is nothing to them.

I say report him and let it go. Next time put a watermark/copyright on your photo. You may want to let his bidders know he is using a pirated photo.

TPN
  • Options
    The following examples are not allowed on eBay.

1: A seller doesn't know the best way to describe an item. The seller copies a substantial amount of another's description and pastes it into a listing.

2: A seller takes someone else's picture and includes it in a listing since it looks very similar to the item the seller is offering.

3: A seller likes the way a competitor's About Me page looks. The seller copies the look and feel and a substantial amount of the text and creates an About Me page
  • Options
    First offense is a slap on the hand

Do it again and suspect ya get a 30 day
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    You write this # down and keep it in a safe place 888-749-3229. That is eBay customer service. They will ask you to enter x amount of letters for the person you want to speak with. Press the letters of Cobb, as in THE man that owns eBay. Leave a short message, don't go into detail, just say it is very urgent and within a couple hours max, especially during working hours...like NOW, Sandy, his secretary will call you back. Give her your information What you know to be fact.. Give her your item # from which the photo was stolen and the current stolen item that is running.

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>TWQG - try reading eBay policy about picture theft - it's not allowed. >>

I'm well aware of ebay policy and my question to you was a simple one.
  • Options
    Thanks Boom. He's been reported 'on both ends'. I hope some justice will come of it.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What justice do you want from this?
    While I agree that someone shouldn't just take another person's pics and use them, it isn't like it was a monster toned coin, or even anything unique that he was trying to defraud people about.

Are you just upset because you think your pics (which I did look at last week on your ebay auction and which was fine but not really a big deal to me) should never be used without you doing it? Are you upset because you think his use of the pics will diminish the value of your coins?

Those are MODERN coins....UNSLABBED. If it were slabbed, I would agree. But, geez Pam, you are acting like he committed a felony or something.

I think there are much worse things that can happen and I think this is minor. If someone took one of my pics from an unslabbed coin that i had for sale, I would say "cool, that's mine image". Now, if they took the AUCTION TEXT....well, then I would be upset.

If it means so much to you, do like someone suggestion, put a watermark on it with your ebay id or something so that it looks really stupid for anyone else to sell it and you can identify it immediately (and so can others).

Too many self-professed "police" on here and ebay sometimes.....

Ron

btw......for anyone else that cares or who has their name in the hat on the giveaway...this is post 2999

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Got to agree with Bochiman on this one.

You appear to be WAY too worked up over this.
  • Options
    What justice do you want from this?
    While I agree that someone shouldn't just take another person's pics and use them, it isn't like it was a monster toned coin, or even anything unique that he was trying to defraud people about.

Are you just upset because you think your pics (which I did look at last week on your ebay auction and which was fine but not really a big deal to me) should never be used without you doing it? Are you upset because you think his use of the pics will diminish the value of your coins?

Those are MODERN coins....UNSLABBED. If it were slabbed, I would agree. But, geez Pam, you are acting like he committed a felony or something.

I think there are much worse things that can happen and I think this is minor. If someone took one of my pics from an unslabbed coin that i had for sale, I would say "cool, that's mine ". Now, if they took the AUCTION TEXT....well, then I would be upset.

If it means so much to you, do like someone suggestion, put a watermark on it with your ebay id or something so that it looks really stupid for anyone else to sell it and you can identify it immediately (and so can others).

Too many self-professed "police" on here and ebay sometimes.....

btw......for anyone else that cares or who has their name in the hat on the giveaway...this is post 2999

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bochiman - You act like you are God himself solely interested in your trivial post count. Whoop-ti-do!

Instead of my initial response of "BITE ME" - I will say just a couple of things to you.

Are you saying that because the coin is 'modern' that photo theft of coins is approved by you? I think you have a screw lose.

In addition, exactly . . . I think that MY photos of the coins that I personally own, and took the time and effort to photograph - and are currently selling, and listed on eBay . . . should not be RIPPED OFF of my auction site and listed on THEIR auction site as if THEY owned said coin vs. the fact that it is actually sitting on my desk. Not to mention the fact that this person chose to use no effort in photographing a coin that he/she "SUPPOSEDLY" has - when in fact it is a stolen photo instead.

Oh, and what 'justice' do I want from this? I want the thief to take MY photos off of HIS auction. PERIOD.

Supporting photo theft of coin photos is not something that I take lightly. TAKE YOUR OWN DAM PICTURES.

Edited last to change insult to more popular verbage.

• Options
    Pam gave Varietynickels.com permission to publish those photo's.
    The seller stole those pictures from that site.
    Also it appears he stole the second photo from Coinresource.com and it clearly states "Photos are copyrighted by Pamela Ryman-Moir."
    She has every right to be pissed about the theft of her intellectual property.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is saying the usage of your images is okay. Maybe more that you may be over reacting a little bit.
  • Options
    overreacting? I think not - Putting an end to it and warning others? AbsoLUTely! image

(and if you happen to be referring to the all CAPS in the first post, that is how I received it - it was only copy and pasted.)

Now if it were someone who had asked permission and I had agreed, that's a whole 'nuther story, Reindeer.

• Options
    Thank you tlhoy - I guess maybe someone just felt the need or desire to bash modern coins - as if anyone who owned one did not deserve the respect of being allowed the same as if it were a monster toned coin "of some sort". image

Bochiman: "Oh it's just Neptune's modern - it's ok to steal THOSE photos."

Pah-leeeeeeeze! Go get your post count up someplace else.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Item Description and Picture Theft

Safe Trading Protection Programs Protecting Intellectual Property Image or Text Theft" name=bcrumb
    eBay members are not allowed to use another eBay user's pictures or descriptions in their listings or About Me page without the owner's permission. Listings that violate eBay's Picture and Description Theft policy may be removed early. Multiple violations of this policy can result in suspension.
    The following examples are not allowed on eBay.
    A seller doesn't know the best way to describe an item. The seller copies a substantial amount of another's description and pastes it into a listing.
    A seller takes someone else's picture and includes it in a listing since it looks very similar to the item the seller is offering.
    A seller likes the way a competitor's About Me page looks. The seller copies the look and feel and a substantial amount of the text and creates an About Me page.
    another member who is using your text or images without your permission
  • Options
    In addition, exactly . . . I think that MY photos of the coins that I personally own, and took the time and effort to photograph - and are currently selling, and listed on eBay . . .

If you have the "same" coin up for sale then the theft of your artistic efforts could lead to a reduced number of bids on your coin. You could suffer a financial loss as a result.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    Pam,

This is the only, and last, public post I hope to make on your thread about this.

Girl, you are screwed in the head today! First, upping my post count is not the intention...it was put in there due to the contest and to let people know. Duhhhhhh.
    Guess you are too self-centered right now, huh?

For your pics....duhhhhhh again. I collect moderns. I have the 2005 buff nickels. I've never said anything bad about the spear/die gouge.
    Girl, you are off your rockers and just wanting to attack. Remember, there have been threads I have defended you on, when you deserved it. So, it is nothing personal nor is it modern bashing.

For someone acting like god...ahem...NEPTUNE!!!......I think you should take a look in the mirror. "MY PICTURES", "MY PHOTOS", "MY" this and "MY" that.
    It isn't about extending the hobby or the excitement about the coins for you anymore, is it? It is about promoting them for your personal sales and gains, right?

I think you are more than overreacting A BIT....I think you are blowing it all out of proportion! You certainly did that by running here to post about it this thread with the title you have More BLATANT Coin Photo Picture Theft - by a cop, no less: He ended auction once - NOW relisted again with same photos!

You are certainly quite the DRAMA QUEEN on this, aren't you?

Now, what exactly are you "warning others" about? This particular user? The odds of him/her doing the same thing to another board member is what? about NIL?!?!?!
    You are acting like a little queen and things must be about you or else you cry/whine/have a temper tantrum.

btw....when you quote someone, you should do it correctly.....by the way you misquote, I take it that you are wanting people to feel so bad for you and that I am attacking you (which, I actually am not, other than to say "boohooo, what happened really hurt you" and call you a drama queen image ).
    You typed in this: Bochiman: "Oh it's just Neptune's modern - it's ok to steal THOSE photos."

So, Pam, show me where I typed that out...exactly.....go ahead, show me. Surely it is somewhere with your INTELLECTUAL RIGHTS, right?

I just gotta say it Pam, after reading your whines on this thread to anyone not agreeing with you, you would be great on the "Next episode of Jerry Springer!" Fit right in with the trailers I see on tv.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Neptune....

I am assuming that you are also selling these coins.......and are going to sell or have sold more than one?

do you take a photo of Each one of these that you are listing or have you? Or is your photo a "Stock" photo for any/all past/future listings?
  • Options
    btw... POST # 3002!!!!!

Woohoooo....look out Russ, first it was Xpipe and now me after your post count! I am getting there....all in Neptune's thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Time to be a "GOD himself" upping my post count in THIS THREAD!!!!

• Options
    We need monsterman to respond to this. He would explain that you should sue the guy, and then see how much money you end paying for a lawyer even after you demonstrate your financial loss in this. Not sure what you expect to gain from this.

(this is not to say someone should be allowed to use your images, just that your actual loss in this is going to be hard to put much of a number on)
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Instead of my initial response of "EAT ME" >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    <<Pam gave Varietynickels.com permission to publish those photo's.
    Also it appears he stole the second photo from Coinresource.com and it clearly states "Photos are copyrighted by Pamela Ryman-Moir."
    She has every right to be pissed about the theft of her intellectual property. >>

I agree, permission is one thing. This is outright theft.

Manuel

Monday April 10, 2006 9:04 AM

SM1 calls me a troublemaker....image

--------------------------------------------
    Sunday August 19, 2007 9:17AM

A mentor awarded " YOU SUCK!!"
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The person is or was a cop therefore no harm done. There would only be something wrong if a person was not affiliated with the law did this.

Just keep in mind how many time officers let people get away with breaking traffic laws and the like.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

Neptune....

After reading the thread about dealers scoring I don't think some people will care about your pictures.

They are yours and you should be able to say what you think about someone else taking them. I think thats the point you were making.
  • Options
    Pam gave Varietynickels.com permission to publish those photo's.
    She has every right to be pissed about the theft of her intellectual property.

Yes, I did give them permission and they were honest enough to ask - no problem. I also have absolutely NO problem with the other guy on eBay selling one of these coins. His photos are even better than mine - and they are his photos of HIS coin, and they look nice - and guess what, he didn't have to infringe upon anyones artistic rights. Hmmmm since his are better, I guess it would be OK then for me to go rip them off and slap them up on 'my' auction, and play like THAT is the coin I am selling. Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Goose - Yes, I do take each and every 'individual' photo of each and every individual coin. I do not use stock photos. It is not just snap and click either - it's lighting, and capturing things right. And yes, my photos may not be all that, and maybe I don't have as expensive of equipment as some others - but they are still (YES, ME/MY) photos that I took of the exact/very coin that I am selling 'right here and now' - and the guy told me specifically that he took it STRAIGHT from my currently running. A few things bother me about some of the posts in this thread.

What I am gathering is that some folks think that it's ok to rip people off "a little bit". If it's not a real valuable coin or an 1800's rarity, top knotch key, or a dealer even - whatever, you get the picture. But is OK for me to get ripped off because it is a.) modern b.)unslabbed c.) not monster toned d.) I'm a collector and not a dealer - more I'm sure, but you get the picture.

Actually d.) would equate into being that it's OK for collector's to get ripped off (photos or whatever), but not dealers.

That ranting person above stated that had the coin been slabbed, then it would not be ok to steal the photo. Where do you draw the line? Allow theft up to a certain point, and let the thieves continue to steal from me/the little guy and get better practice at it, for when they go for the bigger and better stuff?

Then when they post "photo theft" on the forum - it's a whole different story, isn't it. Well, ya know - you should have thought about maybe that thief should have been stopped in his tracks when he was first getting started - before he got good enough to rip YOU off.

So you see it's NOT all about me - never has been, and sure as hell never will be.

As far as slabbed/unslabbed - I have plenty of these slabbed coins - I have just chosen not to sell them right now. So when I do - I guess ONLY then it will be ok for me to voice my opinion that "THEFT OF PHOTO" for ANY coin is illegal and just plain wrong.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of my initial response of "EAT ME"

Russ: image

Pam, I do not want to get into an argument, but I think that correct expletive is "BITE ME™".

Now, carry on...
  • Options
    win it and dont pay him. he says nothing, in the description, its not the coin shown. you have proof, keep doing it untill he takes his own pics
  • Options
    Neptune,

I don't believe in photo theft, but unforetunately I'm sure you are bound to find more if the general population thinks it might be a *HOT* thing to make money off of. Too many ebayers don't have digital cameras and they are going to go the easy way out. You are probably going to drive yourself nuts if so because there are too many photoshop programs out there to ever make any jpg invincible against hacking. I, myself, am selling a few coins right now on eBay that I bought off of Teletrade and I am using their full slab obverse pic with the reverse(& trademark) chopped out. All of the close up pics(obverse & reverse) are my own. I just figured why waste the time since I own the coin and they are probably as good or better than I could do. Could very well be trademark infringement, but I own those coins and if they don't like it I guess they can let me know. Cheers!
  • Options
    Eat me, bite me...what's the difference?
  • Options
    I just figured why waste the time since I own the coin

Yes, I agree - that's a little different - you own it. He doesn't. Good luck! image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eat me, bite me...what's the difference?

It makes all the difference in the word.

BiteMe™ is the official expletive of the US Coin Forum. image
  • Options
    Good luck getting this thief cop to end his auction and not use your pics. It's pretty funny how many people seem to think this is no big deal because it's such a small crime.

I wish I knew a little more trademark law, but I really thought that pictures were among other things that get automatically copyright protection? Anyone care to inform us what the copyright laws are for pictures - does one specifically need to claim a copyright?
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options

<< <i> Eat me, bite me...what's the difference?

It makes all the difference in the word.

BiteMe™ is the official expletive of the US Coin Forum. image >>

I hope it was "BiteMe™" then, because there is never gonna be a cold enough day in hell for me to follow through with her on the other wording image

• Options
    While I agree that this individual was "DEAD" wrong in using your pics. My question to you is this? Was it worth it???? I mean you went through all that to make a point? Ask him to remove listing. If he doesn't report him. That simple. Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses. This is just a hobby. I do believe that this is suppose to be fun!!!! The guy was obviously sorry, but you just attacked him more and more. I think that this is why so many young collectors leave the hobby. Just my honest opinion.

"I won't always agree with you and there will be times that I do, but at the end of the day I hope we both can sleep like babies"image
    "There are two types of people in the world. Those that do the work and those that take the credit. Try to be in the first group, there is less competition there" - Ghandi
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the image thief isn't up to speed on copyright. Since 1989, any creative work is automatically copyrighted from the moment it is created, regardless of whether or not it has the copyright symbol. If ebay hasn't already yanked the auction, keep reporting him - and take him to court for a $150,000 copyright infringement settlement. image
  • Options
    I think I'd be pizzed too.

I set the lighting different at least three times,change the camera setting another couple,end up taking 15-20 pics,download them to the computer,then pick which one looks the best and delete the rest.
    And that's just the obverse.image

I guess it would save me time and aggravation if I just found a similar coin and swiped smoeone elses pics.image
  • Options
    Interesting thread. I hate image theft. image
    ---
    image HEY!! HOW DID THESE GET HERE??!!image

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    ----
    imageimage

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    I asked him this question:

"Are the pictures in your listing the actual photos of the coin I will receive? Thank you."

His response:

I relisted my item after scanning my coin, orginally I had used one photo from another site. This is my coin on current listing. Thanks.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question.....His Answer.Dear pcrdnadave,

You asked:
    "Are these pictures/scans of the actual coin that is for auction? I understand there are a lot of ebay sellers that are unethically stealing others' photographs."

Yes the new listing is my scan, orginally I had used one photo gotten from another site, the person complained, i cancelled bids, and re scanned my coin, and relisted.

• Options

<< <i>Interesting thread. I hate image theft. image
    ---
    image HEY!! HOW DID THESE GET HERE??!!image

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimage
    ----
    imageimage >>

WeKar stole my picture. image

These pics were put here to use.An auction pic is a little different IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file