Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I had a fun trip to the bank(s) today... and got some nice stuff, too!

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
After school, I headed to the bank. My bank is a small one--they've got three branches, with the HQ in my town... everyone is accessible, and the CEO and VPs know and greet me (and most other people) whenever I walk in. It's a nice atmosphere.

First, I picked up some rolls of buffalo nickels--10 in all. In the course of some conversation with the two tellers (they know I'm a collector), I asked if they had any halves to look through... one teller had three rolls, and I was allowed to look through them without paying... she just opened the rolls on the counter and I went a-sorting. The first roll was the money roll... 9 40% halves--a 1966, six 1968-Ds, and two 1969-Ds. Not a bad haul.

From there, I went to the PO, and then the other banks around town, looking for buffalos. What surprised me was Wachovia... since I didn't have an account, I wasn't allowed to do any business with them at all. I muttered that it was a great way to get customers as I walked out. So, Wachovia has bad service, IMO, and a great way to piss off potential customers. But, as I was walking back to my car, I ran into one of my bank's tellers as she was leaving. I told her what happened, and she said she was an account holder, and went to Wachovia to get me two more rolls... now THAT is damn good customer service image

So I left for home with 12 rolls of nickels, nine 40% halves, and an awesome toned Boone (NGC MS65) that was donated to the charity auction image.

Jeremy

PS- I got into Cornell and Johns Hopkins today, and wait listed at Harvard.
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Forget the bank scores....looks like we got us a college-boy here! Congrats!
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS- I got into Cornell and Johns Hopkins today, and wait listed (I'm taking myself right off) at Harvard. >>

Very nice, but aren't you going to go to MIT? Those are all monster schools. Congrats! image

You're going as a mechanical enginering major right? Rock on! I have the same major too.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options

<< <i>Forget the bank scores....looks like we got us a college-boy here! Congrats! >>

Thanks, but these are just for ego image The only two contenders are MIT (accepted) and Stanford (will hear any day)... and with that, more than likely MIT image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    My sister is likely going to graduate school at Cornell in physics as of next year.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy,

What are your plans for your photography and e-bay consignment business when you're away at school?
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Had a chance to go to MIT in younger days...I chose a different school because of a girl....made the right choice. Now, I am just a lowly veterinarian, but I still have the girl.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    I had an appointment to West Point and a girl got in the way. I was dumber than $hit. LOL
    Gary
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy's going to do like Bill Gates - start college, drop out after a couple of years and revolutionize the world...
  • Options

<< <i>What are your plans for your photography and e-bay consignment business when you're away at school? >>

Still have to see what options are open... if I get in the dorm I want, I'll have a 99% chance of a single (there's about one double and 1 triple in the building--my dad had the triple). If there's a bank nearby for a safe deposit box, and a PO that handles Registered Mail and has PO Boxes, I'll be in business image

Jeremy
  • Options
    Bump for getting to Yale image
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    The main branch of the post office is right down the street in Central Sq. about 1/2 mile. There are plenty of banks in the square to choose from also.
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Well, there are a lot of kids around the country who are now getting off waiting lists and getting admitted because you're turning down Yale, Washington, Harvard, the list goes on. Congrats again.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with MIT Jeremy...

There is a chance that we could be going to school out there together!! I am thinking about putting in my application for the Ph.D. program at Woods Hole.

We could go coin whoring together!! image

J
  • Options
    John, can you take Massachussetts after Hawaii? image

But I'll welcome you with open vaults image (for show and tell only image)
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I could go to Mass after Hawaii...

I have at least two years left here so you would be a junior when I got there...
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, I could go to Mass after Hawaii...

I have at least two years left here so you would be a junior when I got there... >>

• Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I've never lived in a place where when you go to a bank anyone knows you. Every time I try to withdraw even a couple of dollars I'm asked for an ID. The nearest bank around me had a teller that worked there for a few months so just about the time she would recognize anyone, poof, she was gone. It's even worse in the towndown area of Chicago than being in the suburbs. There your lucky if you ever see the same person twice. I like to buy a bag of cents once in a while and get the third degree every time like just what do you want with them. I've been trying at several banks for some of the new nickels and you'ld think I was tryingto rob the place the way they looked and said no without even looking.
    Glad to see your going to get educated. You never said what you were going to major in. Do they have a numismatic course there?
    Carl
  • Options

<< <i>You never said what you were going to major in. Do they have a numismatic course there? >>

Aeronautical engineering. I doubt they've got a numismatics course, but they've got a damn good business school image
  • Options
    Way to go Jeremy! - If you're going for aeronautical engineering at MIT you should probably just 'let go' of your coins via a givaway here on the forum...image Gosh, just think of all the stress we would relieve you of...

Seriously, congrats and good luck at the 'T' image
  • Options

The first roll was the money roll... 9 40% halves--a 1966, six 1968-Ds, and a 1969-D

BTW, what was the ninth coin!? image
  • Options
    NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126

Jim
  • Options

<< <i>The first roll was the money roll... 9 40% halves--a 1966, six 1968-Ds, and a 1969-D

BTW, what was the ninth coin!? image >>

Uhhh... 2 69-Ds imageimage
  • Options
    don't feel to bad my wife works for wachovia as a teller & I can't get any unmixed new coin rolls .her other part time gig, as a cashier at our local food market, is where I have to go to get unmixed new coin rolls. then she also has to be on duty when they come in or forget it I can';t get' em. best haul from her bank branch was 6 half dollar rolls pre 1964 post 1921. she turned away a customer for trying to cash 3 liberty nickel rolls, she thought they were caniadian. the customer then relized the nickels had more value then face & left the bank. sat wife down with redbook to show her different coin varieties, so she never dose that agian .
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    The small bank here in the town I live knows me very well. Two years ago I went in to deposit $47000.00,
    (my parents life insurance money). I was treated like a stranger, drug me into the presidents office
    and interigated as to were the checks were from? Told I would not be able to draw on the money for two months, etc. etc. etc. It was a real bum deal.image

Congrats on mit! You have the world by the short hairs, the world just don`t know it yet.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭

<< <i>But, as I was walking back to my car, I ran into one of my bank's tellers as she was leaving. I told her what happened, and she said she was an account holder, and went to Wachovia to get me two more rolls... now THAT is damn good customer service imageq]

Why was your bank teller doing her banking at another bank?
    Or is that some kind of rule so these banks don't have overnight millionaires
  • Options
    my wife & I bank were she she works (wachovia) we have to deal with an internal dept. if there are problems with our account. we can't use the branch . we can use the branch for deposits & withdawls though & basic account info. there are also some perks for employees too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file