Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best $1k coin Value/Pride

I have gotten into coin collecting over the last few months and am now ready to make the plunge to buy a nice coin that can be the center of my collection. One I can take pride in knowing it's a good coin by knowledgable people's standards, and most importantly knowing its a good value/investment.

What should I get for $1k? If I stretched and spent a bit more, are there any sleepers that stand out?

I am most interested in gold, maybe early copper, but am open to all US coin suggestions.

Many thanks for your most valued advice.

Paul

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to welcome you! I would say a St. G $20, but I will leave it up to the other experts to suggest the exact dates and condition.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I like Gold, cause I have gotten queezy over the years, and it has better intrinsic value.
    But CLASSIC coins with great eye appeal are, to me, the way to go.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no single definitive answer, there. Be prepared for a lot of suggestions.

By all means, read people's suggestions, but before buying something, make sure it is something YOU like, not just something you "sort of" like and bought because somebody (or several somebodies) suggested it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    You might want to check out the new Red Book of Type Coins by Q. David Bowers. Read about the coins, look at the designs, learn their histories and research their price ranges in various conditions. You may find a particular design you absolutely love, a particularly fascinating history you enjoy, and one which you want to be the focus of your search.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I just bought the Red Books Type coin book today! I will pour throug it.

I know there is not one "right" answer, but really appreciate any of your suggestions.

Keep em coming!!!

Thanks again,
    Paul
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some rare 3 cent silvers with low mintage....for about $1,000....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take your time, examine a lot of different coin types, and pick something that YOU like. In gold, if you like 20th century, you could buy a decent MS-64 Saint or MS-63 Indian $10 for $1000 (maybe even a little less). Be patient and find one that looks like the next grade up.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like Morgan dollars you could buy a common "S" mint for about that in MS67.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forum. I think that you would be extremely pleased with an 1798 or 1799 Early Dollar. You should be able to get a decent looking one in a VG 8 or 10, if you spend some time looking. Stick to one graded and slabbed by PCGS, NGC or Anacs.
  • Options
    Welcome!

So many choices! If part of the enjoyment you will get from the coin is sharing it with family/friends
    on occasion, they would more likely appreciate something large ($20 gold, nice CC Morgan dollar) or
    something odd (half-cent, large cent, 2-cent).

Regardless, if it's to be the centerpiece of your collection, just make sure that it really sings for you!

Ken
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image You'll know what coin to buy when you can't take yor eyes off of her and she keeps whispering "Take me home" image Which brings up the point, I don't know why (probably because I'm an old Morgan collectorimage), but all coins are feminine to me.
    Becky
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    you can't take yor eyes off of her and she keeps whispering "Take me home"

He was talking about spending $1000 on a coin, not a girl.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a few of the suggestions so far. I won't name a particular series, but I'd say opt for a BIGGER coin over a smaller one -- there's nothing wrong with a really nice, rare, high-grade 3c silver, but it's such a tiny coin... I like for the best thing or two I've got to have some gravity, some presence. Your call, though. Good luck!
    mirabela
  • Options

<< <i>I like a few of the suggestions so far. I won't name a particular series, but I'd say opt for a BIGGER coin over a smaller one -- there's nothing wrong with a really nice, rare, high-grade 3c silver, but it's such a tiny coin... >>

Maybe. But my trime is one of the very favorite coins in my collection:

• Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    To me the coin to buy is the one you like best. There are a lot of reasons why you may like it, a specific series, quality, reasonable price, key date, etc. I just don't think anyone can make that decision for you - others can give you guidance on price vs date and grade, but only you know if you really like the coin - and that's the important part.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I've been giving this some thought -

If you want to spend $1K to establish "the center" of your collection, I tend to agree with RYK - St. Gaudens $10 & $20 coins both would make a definitive edition to any new collection. And a $1,000.00 (or less) could either get you a very nice common date MS63 $10 or MS64 $20 - and either would be fine coins to own. However, if it were me, I would try to build a 2-coin St. Gaudens "No Motto" set. Despite the price guides, an MS60-61 certified 1907 $10 can be had for about $500, and despite what people around here tend to say about those grades, attractive, problem-free, sufficiently struck, non-destracting examples do exist. Similarly, a 1907 $20 in MS61-62 will cost just a little more. (I would avoid the 1908s because of the 40,000 that showed up in the Wells Fargo hoard.)

So, for about a $1,000.00, you could own:

- What are almost universally regarded as America's two most beauiful coins in uncirculated condition.
    - A first year of issue set that will celebrate its centenial in two years.
    - 2-year only "No Motto" varieties, conversation starters even among non-numismatics.
    - Two coins that contain almost an ounce and a half of gold combined.

These coins in these grades may never be registry trend-setters, but conversely, for better or worse, they are then apt to remain a little more immune to the ebbs and flows of the market than the superstars. Collectors will always have an interest in these varities for their collections, and so there should always be some demand for them. Besides who knows? If even 10% of the 100,000 who buy a new 1 ounce gold coin from the Mint every year figured out that for the same money they could own a nice, original version of the coin that inspired it, there simply would not be enough to go around.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take "the little bit extra" and buy some books. Start with authors like Q David Bowers. Just Google it and get some books that seem interesting to you. Read them Then make a choice on a type of coin you would like to own. Then come back and ask again here!

Welcome

Tbig
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are two of my past favorites, both under $1K (in fact, I can still count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've spent more than $1K on a coin.)

1868 2 cent piece, PCGS PR64 RD, not designated as a cameo but pretty darn close. I spent about $900, which was strong money at the time, but it was worth it to me. When I decided to become more dealer than collector, I later resold it, since it was tying up a lot of my startup capital (I was and still am a relatively small-potatoes player in the market). I didn't really make much profit on it at all, but it eventually ended up in the hands of someone who's got most of my past favorites.

I even used this coin as my forum icon for a while. Look for this icon out there, and you'll know who the new owner is. image

1805 Irish gilt proof penny, NGC PR64 CAM. Ex- Boiler78. This is probably one of my favorites of all the coins I have ever owned. This coin had it all. A two century old cameo proof, large size, cool design with the Irish harp (I'm of Irish descent on my father's side), and because it was gilt, it looked like a big ol' gold coin (in a way, it was). This thing would knock the eyes outta your head from twenty paces away. The small picture I saved of it does it no justice at all. I think I paid $800-and-something for it and sold it for not a whole lot more than that.

This coin is also an icon in the database, somewhere. I rather regret selling it now, but I had to sell my higher-end stuff to set myself up as a part-time dealer. (I have a booth in an antique mall and consider myself "a cut above the flea market").

In terms of pure "investment", I have not really done as well with coins of this caliber as I have with less-expensive coins. I have usually had to fork out strong money to get stuff of this class. Maybe it's just that I have only been able to play in this league a few times.

Stuff like this is nice to hold, though. Maybe if I had held them more for the long haul instead of just a few years, I'd have done better.

Oh- I did buy a coin that became a $1K piece, once. Had a local restauranteur come to me once, wanting to sell me some gold. I couldn't afford to buy all his coins, but I did pick up two gold dollars and a $20 Liberty. The $20, a 1904, was in an old PCI green-label MS62 holder. I got it for $400-and-something. I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS and it came back MS64. Sold it for a little over $1K.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>(in fact, I can still count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've spent more than $1K on a coin.) >>

You could amputate two fingers and a thumb on both of my hands, and I could *still* say that. image
  • Options
    You really have to look at what is part of your collection. As much as I love the St. Gauden $20 coins, if you don't have any gold and don't plan to buy any other gold, then it doesn't make sense to buy that one coin as part of your collection. It's not a centerpiece of your collection at that point, but more of an add-on. I'd look at the types of coins you're collecting or thinking of collecting, and go for a nice key or semi-key date coin in that series. If you have a collection of circulated buffalo nickels. A nice XF or AU 1937-D 3-legged buffalo would serve as a better centerpiece than a gold coin.
  • Options
    BTW, the first big coin purchase I made that served as the center of my collection for many years was a 1955 double die penny in MS-60. It was easily worth 10 times any other single coin in my collection, but since my collection was a late 19th - 20th century type set in circulated and lower uncirculated grades, it fit in very well with the rest of my collection and really served as a centerpiece.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    slabbed pcgs/ngc

a nice xf-au three dollar gold piece

a cameoed proof 64 pre 1880 seated quarter or dime barber dime quarter

a proof65 cameoed three cent nickel lib nick shield nick

classic head choice unc rb half cent

neat toned gem proof indian head cent

choice proof two cent piece

choice unc gold dollar

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Being a Lincoln collector.A nice 1909-S VDB MS60 would fit the criteria ypu suggested.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Let me be the first to welcome you! I would say a St. G $20, but I will leave it up to the other experts to suggest the exact dates and condition. >>

I agree, your first large purchase should be as high a grade MS St $20 that $1K can buy. I have an MS65 that I simply love to just state at. It is so cool. I also love AU58 Liberty $20 gold, good value I think, especially when you can get a civil war era coin.
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You really have to look at what is part of your collection. As much as I love the St. Gauden $20 coins, if you don't have any gold and don't plan to buy any other gold, then it doesn't make sense to buy that one coin as part of your collection. It's not a centerpiece of your collection at that point, but more of an add-on. I'd look at the types of coins you're collecting or thinking of collecting, and go for a nice key or semi-key date coin in that series. If you have a collection of circulated buffalo nickels. A nice XF or AU 1937-D 3-legged buffalo would serve as a better centerpiece than a gold coin. >>

One Word: BINGO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file