Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint show on Discovery Science 4pm today - over now but see thread for two upcoming shows

It's 4:00pm now here and I was just scanning for something to watch. Dscivery Science has some show on about the U.S. Mint. If you are near a TV, check it out.

edit: I mean Discovery Science. misspelled in my haste to get back to the show.

edit 2: changed title about 2 new shows (scroll down and read my other post)
-Bob
collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. I'm watching it now.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    image Hopefully they will have a repeat of it later tonight.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    I'm in california. I have regular discovery but it's not on. image Hopefully it will be on later
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    I watched it last night around 11:00 or so. It was pretty good. It starts off with US coins, moves to the Euro, and then shows how Canadian coins are minted and their gold is purified. (.9999 fine). They also show them producing the Canadian hologram coins.

Looks like it was made around 2000.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip. Watching it right now, very cool!

I guess it was on all day today, with this being the last one showing. I do not see it scheduled again in the next seven days. image
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I've seen this before. Actually the first time when I started collecting coins a few years ago. Then I went into a shop and bought this...

• Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    The show was really good. I agree that it seems like it was made around 2000. I checked the Discovery Science website and it doesn't seem to be on anymore (at least for for now - on cable nothing ends forever). But there are two other shows coming up of interest. Discovery has email reminders also so you won't forget about the show.

Here's two more I found on their site:
    Super Structures: Making Money
    "The dollar is the standard on which the rest of the world bases its currency. Venture inside the complex machine of agencies that make the money: the Federal Reserve, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, the US Mint, and the Secret Service."
    Airs first on April 15. On this page click on a showtime to get the option to have an email reminder: Link

John Ratzenberger's Made In America - U.S. Mint
    At the Mother Mint in Philadelphia, sheet metal becomes more than worth its weight. In Akron, Ohio, the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company puts the bounce in its tires, and discover the Duncan Industries Parking Meters unquenchable thirst for change.
    Next airing - April 2nd. Link
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I will definitely watch on Saturday.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Will also air: EST

Apr 05 08:00 pm

Apr 05 08:30 pm

Apr 05 11:00 pm

Channel 277(Travel Channel) for DirectTV subsribers
  • Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I watched the Made in America show on the Travel Channel today and enjoyed it very much. Very cool seeing how the die gets cut. And I was surprised to see how rough the minted coins were handled by the machines, no wonder the nickels are beat up by the time they get to the banks.

I'll keep an eye out for the Discovery Science show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file