Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Funny Mantle Scam - It passes the light test!

Of course he just happened to buy a few reprints off of erniefigures, coincidence - i think not.

MantleLight

Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Here's another good light test for anyone considering a bid on that card :

Point a flash light into one of your ears.
    If the light shines through and comes out your other ear, go ahead and bid.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"

• I wonder if he is going to take that piece of cardboard he has behind that card out of the sleeve before he mails the card!

• Dear honda2quick,

How do I know this is not the card you bought from erniefigures?1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 Reprint Reprint Item number: 5171499978

We will find out? $100 he does not answer.

• image BUSTED! Good one! LOL
  • Heck... I should took that bet!!!

Here is his reply back to you!

Questions from other buyers for this listing

Q: How do I know this is not the card you bought from erniefigures?1952 Topps Mickey Mantle #311 Reprint Reprint Item number: 5171499978 Answered on Mar-31-05

A: image The card I bought from erniefigures was in a riveted case and you could see through it easily, I bought it to compare it to my other cards to tell the differences and similarties. this card is thicker and seems more vintage image

He does offer FREE Shipping!!!
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's another good light test for anyone considering a bid on that card :

Point a flash light into one of your ears.
    If the light shines through and comes out your other ear, go ahead and bid. >>

That's funny...

I asked the seller a question. I told him I wasn't familiar with the "light test" but that the auction wasn't passing my "BS" test. We'll see if he responds to that one. Might have to bring up the "how to spot counterfeits" argument next. image
  • He has 2 Mantles for sale. No mention of the light test on the other.
  • and plus sold 2 others earlier this week, I'm starting to think he owns the Topps company
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Haha... the light test... my guide has become a pathetic scammers cheat sheet. It is amazing how many people have bought it and then turned to crime after reading it. I'd say at least 15 of the people who have purchased the guide since I began it nearly a year ago have gone on to list fakes afterwards.
  • so what this idiot is saying is"i got a fake mantle for sale for $300.00 that you can not see light thru." what a pathetic moron this guy is.
  • Here is his newest response.

You asked:
    "I don't understand. It would cost all of 50.00 for one day turnaround with PSA and about the same for SGC or GAI. Than the card would net you about 11k give or take a few hundred. Please make me understand as i would really like this for my son."

Answer:

I really hate to sell these cards I dont want to let them go I've had them for about 4 years and they were passed on to me as a family heirloom. Bills came back to haunt me though and these are the really only valuable things I can sell to try and pay my bills. I need the money soon thats the only reason im selling these
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net

• << <i>HAS TO BE LISTED AS A REPRINT DUE TO IT NOT BEING GRADED AND EBAYS POLICIES BUT AS YOU SEE IT HAS THE DEFINITE POTENTIAL OF PULLING A 6 WITH PSA. >>

gee golly moses!! I could pull a PSA 6 on a Mickey Mantle 1952 Reprint!
  • I guess the other one that he is selling failed the light test - this reprint only starts at $199

MantleNoLight

We need to NARU this guy.

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I actually got a response as well, I will admit, I was surprised.

"I am not familiar with the light test, but this doesn't quite seem to pass my "BS" test... If you have a card like this, wouldn't you get it graded seeing as a "PSA 6" like you refer to, would probably net you in the neighborhood of $11k?"

Im not a member with psa and I need money to pay some bills that caught up with me. I dont even want to sell these cards but bills come first

--So based on that response, he knows about PSA and knows you need to be a member. And is it just me or did this guy buy a LOT of reprints? He bought a 3 card "lot" of 51 Bowmans for $203 and the seller now has the same pic up for sale again with 2 days left. Ugh.

Edited to say: I just asked him another question about his other Mantle "'52T RC" Which apparently he is selling cuz "it's been sitting around so long" The other one he needs to sell to pay bills, this one is just for extra money I guess.

So I sent him this question...lets see if he responds to this one. He can't be that thick headed....can he?

"how much would shipping be if I won both of your fake Mantle rookies you have up for sale right now?"
  • Here is his next resonse tom my ?'s

You asked:
    "Again........... It would only take a day to net probably 10k more than not waiting the day. WHY NOT SEND IT FOR GRADING. It makes no sense !!!!"

ive called psa before and it would take over a week to do this deal. I would just prefer to sell it now and hey if someone else gets it graded thats great
    Scott

T206's are always being bought.

aloof1003@comcast.net

• I asked "You don't need to be a member with GAI to send it in there. Really, grading the card would be best for you because otherwise people would likely confuse this for a reprint." - we shall see what he says to that...

• bhl2359bhl2359 Posts: 420
    It is also odd that he is allowing the questions to be put on the auction page. hose can't be good for business.
  • Here is a link to where you can see what he is selling and where he bought it from as well as other fake Mantle sellers and where they purchased their garbage. You all may enjoy it.

Fake Mantle's
  • C'mon, give the kid a break, he has to pay for all that ($1,000+) car audio stuff he is buying. And also that horrendous addiction to Billabong clothing he seems to have developed....