Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Received results from my first submission ever...

anablepanablep Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
I tried an experiment by submitting coins for the first time from different sources (where I purchased them). Some were cracked out of other TPG slabs, others were raw either from ebay or a local coin store.

I submitted 7 Morgan dollars to ANACS for the first time on 3/14 and got my coins back 3/30 using the 5 day service. I have to say I am very impressed with ANACS for their speedy service. Here are my results. Feel free to comment if you would like. image

1) 1921-S Morgan: MS63. Formerly in a PCGS MS63. Right on!
2) 1921 Morgan: MS64. Purchased raw on ebay and currenly my icon coin. Very happy imageimage
3) 1888 Morgan: MS63. Puchased raw from a coin store locally. Just what I though it'd be.
4) 1884-CC Morgan: MS 63. Purchased raw from a coin store locally. Again, what I thought it'd grade.
5) 1898 Morgan: MS 64. Purchased raw from ebay. image Lucky coin #2.
6) 1904-O Morgan: MS 61 PL. Formerly in an NGC MS63 PL holder!!! image Very tight grading at ANACS on this one. Big surprise to me.
7) 1890 Morgan: UNC details, cleaned-retoned, Net AU55. image Purchased raw on ebay. Thought this one would be trouble. But I needed to know if the toning was NT or AT. Didn't really think it was cleaned however.

Moral of the story. As most of you agree, raw coins from ebay can be a problem. I got lucky on 2/3. Sight seen coins purchased at a coin shop have a much better shot at being what you expect or hope when submitted for grading...

I've got 13 more raw Morgans ready to go next week to ANACS. This submission thing really is pretty cool.

Comments? Opinions?
Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    Glad you received some happy grades. NCG was off a bit, ACG and ICG would have been different also.
    I dont think I'd trust raw on Ebay..at least I havent yet..maybe someday.
    Good luck and have fun
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I suspect many people are wondering the same thing: Why did you crack out the '21-S? Did you think it would go 4? (Or was it cracked out before you got it?)

Other than that question, I'd say that any time you can go 2-for-3 with raw stuff on eBay, you've done okay.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Only one body bag.image

Edit: oh, but it's ANACS, no BB'simage
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ziggy29: I cracked out the PCGS 21-S b/c I wanted all my Morgans to be in ANACS holders. I just have a thing for continuity. Or I'm just insane... image
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    RayJay: I don't trust raw ebay either; but I was willing to take a chance. The 1890 was not that pricey...

~Wayne
  • Options
    Congratulations!

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ziggy29: I cracked out the PCGS 21-S b/c I wanted all my Morgans to be in ANACS holders. I just have a thing for continuity. Or I'm just insane... image >>

Ah. Okay, that makes sense. I just figured a lot of people who have partaken of the PCGS Kool-Aid would wonder about such things. image
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice grades. I like your 1921 Morgan icon coin, it looks like it has real nice toning.
  • Options
    Dabigkahuna & CoinJP: Thank you for the compliments.

Yeah, the icon coin was a matter of some debate when I purchased it as there was doubt about its toning and what it would grade as it was purchased raw from ebay.

Original post when coin was purchased...

BTW I even predicted the 21 would go 64 w/ a shot at 65. image

~Wayne
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    WOw...I didnt know your icon was a 21..thats impressive color for a 21
  • Options
    Thanks ddbird...
    It's even more impressive in hand.

~Wayne
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Your icon coin is a beaut! Congrats on a good submission.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file