Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

i have an edward III late 13th Century silver penny

my uncle found an King Edward III late 13th century, silver penny while on job site in london england. for its age, the wear is near new, per inspection by archeologist in england.

dont know if there is any value to this coin or if it just interesting (at least to me).

i looked up the coin before, there are a few versions, i have the version that is the version that i have. i dont have a scan of it yet so at this point im just seeking general feedback.

if someone thinks it ios worthwhile, i will post a scan.

thanks
wayne
first became interested in cardboard at the age of three. since then i have collected varying examples of textures, corregation grades, glue types, etc. from all over the world. Finding this site and fellow collectors who are as equally devoted to the phenomenon has brought a whole new point, purpose and meaning to my exsitence.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Please do show us a scan! I'm interested and I'm sure there are others too.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Yep, I'm with Jester - please post an image when you get it.

Cheers

Andy
  • Options
    andy & jester

thanks for your intererst. will do.

i really like the piece. holding it in my hand, thinking of the era, trying to, leaves me full of awe. im glad i know how it was found. i have some supporting dicumentation sent to my uncle by an archeologist + i read and copied a bunch of in fo on edIII
    when i show it to american friends, they are fascinated.
    a lot of the detail is still there.
    apparently it was found in location of where king ed would have resided and coinage at that time was struck on royal grounds. archeologist says condition suggests it never made it to circulation
    my uncle works for national trust in england, restoring bulidings on national register. while on job site he found coin. knew i collected and kindly, very kindly, gave to me.
    a treasured family heirloom at this point.

once again, thanks for your interest

best
    wayne
    first became interested in cardboard at the age of three. since then i have collected varying examples of textures, corregation grades, glue types, etc. from all over the world. Finding this site and fellow collectors who are as equally devoted to the phenomenon has brought a whole new point, purpose and meaning to my exsitence.
  • Options
    I love those medieval silver pennies of England-- that coin was around in London during that whole period of kings, queens, knights, castles, the Black Plague, etc. And even more interesting, you can trace your coin to an exact spot where it was "sleeping" for 8 centuries.
    It'll be neat to see the picture
  • Options
    i look forward to posting it. i actually have a scanner, its on the fritz. i have another fax, scanner, printer copier. just need to hook it up, install driver and figure how to use it.

appreciate your patience.

evrything you said about coin is what intrigues me too.
  • Options
    hooked up scanner, its junk. went out to look at new scanners, the one i liked is out of stock, eveywhere. its some kind of photo pro epson
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang. I was looking forward to seeing it. Do please find a way to image it.

If and when you do get it imaged, be sure and post it on the Metal Detecting Forum awards. Even though it wasn't found with a detector, we have a "Wild Card" award category for nice non-detector finds.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lord

will do