Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you package magazines for shipping?

I'm thinking about selling some mags (Sports Illustrated - newer issues) online, but don't have any experience selling them. For newer issues, do you just send it off in a manilla envelope and write fragile on it? Thanks for any input. Also how much do you charge for shipping/handling for mags?
I collect Topps Chrome Basketball Rookie Refractors, particularly from 96-97, and limited edition rookies of Taiwanese baseball players.

Comments

• Options
    I've sold quite a few mags on ebay over the years. Heres how I usually do it.

Please keep in mind though that this may be a bit expensive for newer magazines.

I put the magazine in a magazine sized bag (mag bag) that I get from my local comic dealer. I also use a backing board in the bag. Then I sandwich it between 2 magazine sized pieces of cardboard, making sure to secure the bag to the cardboard. Then I pack it in a special "document" mailer (a fold-up cardboard box that ends up being about 1 " thick, but very sturdy). I usually ship using "bound printed matter" rates, which for a 2 lb pkg for instance would be anywhere from $1.86 - $2.52 depending on the zones.

If you don't want to mess with the mag bags or document mailers, you might be able to get away with something like a large zip lock bag in the appropriate size and, like you said, a large manilla envelope. If you do this however, make sure they are the oversized ones that measure 10" x 13" (#97, I think), this will give you enough room to still sandwich the magazine, in some kind of plastic bag, between 2 pieces of cardboard.

On expensive magazines that I sell, I actually buy mgazine-sized top loaders for max protection.

Oh yeah, if you decide to use bound printed matter rates, make sure to tell the P.O. clerk that it is going "bound printed matter". They will probably ask what it is and you just tell them it's a magazine, which is one of the things that bound printed is for.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    1st class and 2nd class is too expensive. Definitely use media mail rate. It's slower, but unless the magazines are very valuable, they are generally not worth sending by other means.
  • Options

<< <i> put the magazine in a magazine sized bag (mag bag) that I get from my local comic dealer >>

I usually do this and then put it in one of those USPS hard envelopes. I then place this in a regular manilla envelope and ship it. I've sold a few magazines through this method and i havent gotten any complaints.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your input!! You da best!
    I collect Topps Chrome Basketball Rookie Refractors, particularly from 96-97, and limited edition rookies of Taiwanese baseball players.
  • Options

<< <i>1st class and 2nd class is too expensive. Definitely use media mail rate. It's slower, but unless the magazines are very valuable, they are generally not worth sending by other means. >>

Magazines cannot be sent Media Mail, only Bound Printed Matter
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> put the magazine in a magazine sized bag (mag bag) that I get from my local comic dealer >>

I usually do this and then put it in one of those USPS hard envelopes. I then place this in a regular manilla envelope and ship it. I've sold a few magazines through this method and i havent gotten any complaints. >>

Are you talking about the Priority Mail envelopes? If so, they can only be used for Priority Mail. If you sent one of those inside another envelope and used Media Mail, the recipient could be charged the Priority Mail shipping rate if the post office inspects the package (which they are doing much more often these days due to Media Mail abuse)
  • Options
    pretend you were mailing it to yourself, from eastport ME to Spotted Horse Wyoming.
    Think how carefully you'd package it to make sure no one can bend it no matter what.
    Putting "do not bend" on the envelope doesn't mean every postal employee will be
    heeding that request (si ellos leen ingles). Make sure it can't be bent if that's important
    to the recipient.

(I had sellers who never heeded this advice take baseball cards and put them in a top load,
    then use so much tape putting the top load on a piece of thin cardboard that it was about
    impossible to remove the card safely...and the cardboard (like a priority mail ENVELOPE) was
    so thin the card could be bent by ANYONE who handled the envelope - bubble wrap envelope
    with no cardboard (real cardboard) inside...rant..rave,...rant...you get the idea?
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I have shipped a few, and as already stated, I put them in a poly comic sleeve with a cardboard backer. I just then put them in a standard 9x12 manilla envelope and ship first class mail. No issues.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Are you talking about the Priority Mail envelopes? If so, they can only be used for Priority Mail. If you sent one of those inside another envelope and used Media Mail, the recipient could be charged the Priority Mail shipping rate if the post office inspects the package (which they are doing much more often these days due to Media Mail abuse) >>

I've only had two magazine transactions and i did them through priority mail. I didnt know about the priority mail charge, so ill keep that in mind if i have another magazine sale.

thanks