Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I am new to the World and Ancient Coin Forum

Hello everyone. I just started collecting coins about a year ago and have mostly concentrated on U.S. coins but now I want to expand into world coin collecting. I am very excited about the Eliasberg auction this April and I am bidding in that aucton. This is a rare opportunity I can't pass up. I am familar how to find realized prices on U.S coins but can you tell me where I can find prices for world coins? Are there any online sites that show realized prices on previous auctioned coins? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!

Your best bet for all world coins is the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins.

If you are more interested in a specific country, more realistic market values are available in some of the catalogues specialized to a specific country. Great Britain, Canada, South Africa and probably Germany all have catalogues specific to their country's coins.

Most auction houses will publish realized prices on the Net or make available their results upon request.

I am sure others will be along soon with more advice.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭
    Great thanks for the advice. Their are some really nice coins from the 18th and 19th century Latin American countries that I find very appealing and compared to U.S. coins in that same time peroid seem to be undervalued in my opinion. I guess I will find out when I start bidding on these coins.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside, fellow addict!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside!

I also have the Eliasberg catalog and believe that the prices listed are extremely low and were put there to generate more competition.
    I believe that most of the items will go for more than their upper listed price (and some will go for FAR more)

I have been advised that some of the coins do not look as nice in person as the auction catalog photos...(but that seems to be the norm today with image editing)

I would go to your local Coin Dealer today and ask for the Standard Catalog of World Coins by Krause. aka "The Telephone Books". They are listed by centuries. Here's one at Amazon - Link

• Options
    Thanks for the reference. Just to have the pedigree of any coin in the Eliasberg auction is a bonus. I am sure the competition will be fierce.
  • Options
    Welcome pf70 and good luck with your auction bids.

Look forward to hearing of your successful lots.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, If you can get a catalog, Do it. In the future it will become a valuable tool to grade coins and have example photos of superb coins. The catalog can also be sold at a future date if you wish , because people collect those also. image
  • Options
    Welcome to the DARKSIDE!

YC
    Paypal
    Ebay.com

My Coins For Sale
    WANTED Any Canadian coins with rotated die from 1982 to 2005
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay here on the Darkside!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Welcome and enjoy.image

Walt
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Welcome - We always like to have new darksidersimage
    Shep
  • Options
    Welcome!!!

You do realize that you have started down the path of no return, don't you?????? Don't worry, you'll love it!!! imageimageimage
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image to the Darkside !!! Enjoy !!!

Do invest in the Krause catalogs when you can. They have ones for the 20th, 19th, 18th and 17th centuries.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I will let you know how I did on the auction and if I won anything. The coins from Argentina alone are enough to satisfy me, but I also like the Russian and early British coins also. They will be sending me a printed catalog also. I just hope I don't get walloped.