Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Seller over charges on shipping

Okay, most of the time I don't get upset over shipping charges but in this case I have to ask the members what they would do. I hit a BIN on a coin on 21 Mar and the seller mailed the coin on 24 Mar. I was charged $6 USD for postage for priority mail without insurance. Seeing it was just a $19 coin I didn't take the insurance. Checking the details on this transaction and the tracking number the seller funished to the post office that the coin was sent first class and not Priority Mail. The first class postage for this item from Ohio to me would be 89 cents. I have sold and sent these Irish 10 shillings to buyers myself and know the weight of the coin and padded mailer. Even with priority mail and insurance it does not come out to $6 bucks.

To the point I paid for Priority mail and got first class I have emailed the seller and got this response " Item mailed as dated". What should I do next?? Here is the link to the sale:

BIN

and the details from paypal:

Carrier:
US Postal Service
Method:
First-Class Mail®
Package Type:
Package/Thick Envelope
Mailing Date:
Mar. 24, 2005
Ship From:

EBAY LISTING SERVICES BY honey_dave
102 East 5th Street
East Liverpool, OH 43920
United States

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you paid with PayPal, file a complaint that you didn't get what you paid for. The shipping charge was high, but you knew that; for it to not be sent Priority is lying and deceitful, even if it's only a few dollars.

Jeremy

PS- How do you get 89 cents? You can have 37, 49, 60, 83, 96, etc, plus 13c for e Delivery Confirmation... just curious about the number image Regardless, has it even arrived yet?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Sorry it was 83 centsimage and no I have not gotten the goods yet.image
  • Options
    I had over charged someone for shipping a week or two ago. I usually use padded mailers, but ran out. So I used a safety mailer and a legal size envelope instead. The postage was about 1/2 of what I stated in the auction. So, I Paypal'ed the winner back $1.50 and told him why. Shocked the crap out of him! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I knew what the shipping was and I know that materials get added in there too. I read Priority Mail and expected it doggonit...LOL!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    $6.00 shipping for a coin had better include fast delivery, insurance and delivery confirmation in a quality mailer. Anything less is a rip.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>I had over charged someone for shipping a week or two ago. I usually use padded mailers, but ran out. So I used a safety mailer and a legal size envelope instead. The postage was about 1/2 of what I stated in the auction. So, I Paypal'ed the winner back $1.50 and told him why. Shocked the crap out of him! image >>

I have on occasion over charged for shipping and paypaled back the overage to the buyer, and like Terry said they were shocked......
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    If you consider your TIME worth nothing you can mail things cheap. As for myself, my TIME is worth at least minimum wage. and my shipping and handling take that into account along with .$39 a mile to get to the post office plus actual postage and materials. You can complain about high rates people charge, but your only valid complaint is that he did not send it the way he stated and that is worth a compliant to ebay. Go get him. I have even left Negs for actions simular to that.
  • Options
    That reminds me, that today I've got that package from England with Seyshelles silver coins, which i supposed to be lost or stollen: it took 53 days image to arrive from England to Israel: and the reason: was paid for Airmail, but was sent by SURFACE mail. Never mind, even the seller image is just usual man, who could make a mistake, sometimes - I've wrote to him positive feedback, but e-mailed him, that he probably image "forget to stick sticker "airmail"

.... 6 bukcs ... it really much, but you are lucky guys, you... I've paid sometimes $ 14 -$ 15 for the shipping of just a few coins !!!image

Seriously, he really must charge for the actual type of shipping and not for the virtual one! image
    N. N.