Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NEWBIE HERE....TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THIS REGISTRY WEIGHTING THING...

I have been wondering this forever, so I thought I would FINALLY ask.

The registry set that I am currently building has a set rating of 45.49. For the sake of this example, I am going to use my 1959-Current Lincoln Cent Registry Set where each coin has An equal weight of 1.0. I am trying to come to this number myself and I am having a one heck of a time getting there!

This is how I have been working it up: I took each of my coins and multiplied the grade by the weight (example: my MS68 2000-P Lincoln would be 1.0 X 68 = 68). Then I added all coins together and divided that sum by 96 (the “divisor” that PCGS gives on the website for this set).

Am I doing this correct?????????

When I add it up this way, all of my current coins add up to a total of 4302. If you divide 4302 by 96, you get 44.81 not 45.49. I must not be doing something right?

Secondly, how does one calculate your weighted GPA? And what does weighted GPA mean? If the answer to this is too long-winded, please refer me to previous links that might help me to better understand.

Thanks in advance for your help/input.

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellewood:

Did you give each of your "RD" coins the 1 point bonus? In other words, your MS68RD 2000-P cent contributes 68 + 1 = 69 points to your total (not 68 points), where the "+1" is the 1 point RD bonus.

Mark
    Mark

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Print out the bonuses page. Print out the composition page.

Add together all the weights on the composition page. This is going to be your denominator.

Add the bonus related to each individual coin to the PCGS grade on the insert. This we can call the enhanced grade. Multiply the enhanced grade by the weight for that coin on each coin of the set. This we can call the weighted grade per coin. Now add all the weighted grade per coin numbers together for the entire set. This is going to be your numerator.

Now divide the numerator by the denominator and you will have the weighted grade for the set.
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    A huge thanks to Mark & Sumdunce.....

I never added in the bonus points for the 65 coins that I do have. 4302 + 65 (1 bonus pt. for each coin) = 4367

4367 divided by 96 = My Set Rating of 45.49

Boy do I feel better now that I have THAT figured out.

• Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    ellwood...Do you have Excel?
    If you do, then send me your email address and I will send you a copy of the spreadsheet I made to calculate and track your sets.
    It really comes in handy if you use the Registry.
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    I've seen the spread sheet by NumisMe, he has done a great job with it and is very easy to use.
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Thanks mas3387... image

I have put a lot of work into it.