Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1969 Brock PSA 8

Here we go again. The new bidders in the market drive this card up everytime. I bid 450.00 this time and have been left in the dust. The snipes are still to come and its at 515 already.

Dave
Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com

Comments

• Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Forget it Dave, soon it will be $1000.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Bob

I have yet to purchase a brock 8. I have lost now 7 times. I f I don't bid on this one again it will be 8. Its not like I am not an aggressive bidder. This card continues to amaze me. I just might go after it. There is 23 minutes left.

Dave
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Why is this card so expensive?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Dave,

Congratulations!

Michael
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Dave:

Congrats on the win!

shagrotn:

I think it is notoriously OC.

spacktrack
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Thanks guys. I finnaly got pushed over the edge

Dave
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    3 bidders over $500

a PSA 9 would go through the roof!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Dave,
    Just had to chime in and say "atta boy"! The Brock is THE toughest card to win dollar for dollar in 8. The pricing strength is incredible.
    Glad you got yours.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    Congrats Dave ... Great Job I know this one has been on your list for a while ...Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    Dave,
    What was the damage?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Dave, that looks like a real nice 8!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Dave that is a real nice pick up, congratulations. Someday I am going to start the 69 set.
    69 Brock
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Congrats Dave; I would have loved to have it but I'm glad another Dave got it.
    Dave C.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Dave, At the prices all of the 8's from 71Toppsman went off at , I believe my last 50 cards in this set will be mostly 7's . I just can not justify paying $30-100 and even higher for tough commons. The 50 I need would cost a minimum of $1500 and I could buy a batch of nice T3's or T206's for that price. The Ed Charles went for $102.50 and several others in the $40-60 range. I'm totally rethinking the graded card portion of the hobby.

Dave S.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    It all depends on how many people are building the set. I have beautiful 1964's in 8 and cant get 50% of SMR. 1969's will always command a premium because its a popular set.
  • Options

<< <i>It all depends on how many people are building the set. I have beautiful 1964's in 8 and cant get 50% of SMR. 1969's will always command a premium because its a popular set. >>

Bob, let me know what you have and what you're asking. I'm casually building a '64 set and still need several of the high pop cards.
  • Options
    actually there all listed on ebay now at $9.99
  • Options

<< <i>Nice job Dave, At the prices all of the 8's from 71Toppsman went off at , I believe my last 50 cards in this set will be mostly 7's . I just can not justify paying $30-100 and even higher for tough commons. The 50 I need would cost a minimum of $1500 and I could buy a batch of nice T3's or T206's for that price. The Ed Charles went for $102.50 and several others in the $40-60 range. I'm totally rethinking the graded card portion of the hobby. >>

The last 50 cards are what separate the men from the boys. image
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    It could also be said that it separates fools from their money. Seriously, I'd just as soon not pay all that dough for graded commons that just don't mean that much to me. The choice to put that money into something that I like much more is my own.

Bob, I had some very nice 8's go for $5-7 last weekend, only the Lou Johnson & CL 57 went for double digits.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    What is the population report on that card?

Stingray
  • Options
    Oddly the pop on 1969 #85 Lou Brock PSA 8 is 36. You'd think it was a single digit for the way
    it auctions
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options

<< <i>Oddly the pop on 1969 #85 Lou Brock PSA 8 is 36. You'd think it was a single digit for the way
    it auctions >>

But it has quite a bit of notoriety as a low pop star card and yet still struggles to move up in population. If you compare it to other HOF cards, it has an extremely low population. Having searched for the card in raw form from the mid 1980s to the late 1990s at many major shows, I can personally attest to the difficulty of finding high grade, well centered examples. Keep in mind that there has yet to be one graded in PSA 9 (NQ).
  • Options
    Is it possible that many of the 36 were the same card from people that was resubmitted in attempts to get 9's and that the actual number of 8's is less?
  • Options
    There might be a couple. The card is just always OC. My 8 is the nicest I ever saw and I've been chasing these for better than 25 years.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    I bid $750 and was STILL outbid.

• Options
    The card is still hot and most likely will hold or go up. It is still a very tough 8. The toughest star to get in 69. I am glad I have stopped chasing this card. I did not know another was up on ebay. I will have to look and see what the final hammer was. You called that one Bob when you said it will go up from when I bought in the spring.

Looks like the final price was 760.00.

DJJ
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    wasn't there a psa 9 that sold this past year?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    This thread raises an interesting question: what are the top 10 lowest pop star cards out there (from say, 1951-1980?)

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oddly the pop on 1969 #85 Lou Brock PSA 8 is 36. You'd think it was a single digit for the way
    it auctions >>

well if 35 people are trying to do the set in PSA 8, and they already have it locked up in their set, isn't this 1 of 1 for sale?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread raises an interesting question: what are the top 10 lowest pop star cards out there (from say, 1951-1980?)

Ron >>

Ron -- I guess it depends on what your threshold is for lowest population, but I'll take it to mean star cards from mainstream sets in PSA 8 or better, not including variations, and only looking at PSA population reports, with a notion that higher-valued cards tend to get submitted more (e.g. 1952 Topps Mickey mantle is rarer than 1955 Bowman Hoyt Wilhelm, despite Mantle having a higher population...).

My list would look like this:

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle (38 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1952 Topps Ed Mathews (14 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1952 Topps Yogi Berra (24 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1952 Topps Billy Martin (21 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1955 Bowman Hoyt Wilhelm (22 total graded PSA 8; none higher)
    1955 Bowman Chestor Nylak (HOF umpire) (18 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1955 Bowman Ernie Banks (41 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1953 Topps Willie Mays (45 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle (57 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    1954 Bowman Gil Hodges (25 total graded PSA 8 or higher)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    wasn't there a psa 9 that sold this past year?

Yes, it was auctioned off on ebay. Sold for close to $5,000.00. Went to a board member.

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    of 60's hall of famers , the 62 frank robinson immediately comes to mind, just 23 8's and 1-9. compared to all of the other hall of famers in the set , nothing is even close.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I bought an 8 four years ago and still have it. I am now tempted to let it fly after seeing these prices. My dad is a big Cardinals collector.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Mike - great post. Pack collector - you're right, the '62 Robinson is very difficult.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Any thoughts as to what a 9 oc might sell for?

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i would say anywhere from $250-500

does that sound remotely accurate?

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    That card is the same as a PSA 7, I would say 100 - 150 max
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I think you could get "8" money or better if you are willing to list it at a high price and re-list it several times or place it in a store.