Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's Your Largest Gap In A Crossover Grade

What is your largest gap in a grade after resubmitting to the same company or crossing over to another company (actual resubmit or bust out)? I think it would be insteresting to hear from some of you.

Back before I realized that PSA was the best and most consisitent, I submitted some cards to Beckett. I sent in a 1956 Topps Warren Spahn and it came back a BVG 2 (I was expecting a 4 or 5). A few months later, I cracked it out and sent it to PSA, and it came back a 4.

I don't have any higher grade examples. What are some of yours?

Shane

Comments

• Options
    Sent a raw 33 goudey sport king to PSA and it came back a 2. Resent it 2 months later (raw again) and it came back a 5.

GG
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    goudeygold,

That's a pretty significant increase, especially from the same company. That just goes to show that even with the best company, it is all subjective, and their is going to be differences because we are all human.

Shane

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Bought a 55 topps GEM 10 Banks, came back Evidtrim!

From a 10 to a negative nice! Top that!
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought a 55 topps GEM 10 Banks, came back Evidtrim!

From a 10 to a negative nice! Top that! >>

At least yours was real.

GEM Elite 10, '84 Pawtucket Clemens - came back from BGS as counterfeit.
    GEM Elite 10, '85 Topps Tiffany Clemens - came back from BGS as 8.5
    RAW 1968 Topps Bobby Orr, "evid of trimmed" according to BVG - came back from PSA as an 8
    RAW 1968 Topps Bernie Parent, "evid of trimmed" according to BVG - came back from PSA as a 7
  • Options

<< <i>At least yours was real.

GEM Elite 10, '84 Pawtucket Clemens - came back from BGS as counterfeit.
    GEM Elite 10, '85 Topps Tiffany Clemens - came back from BGS as 8.5
    RAW 1968 Topps Bobby Orr, "evid of trimmed" according to BVG - came back from PSA as an 8
    RAW 1968 Topps Bernie Parent, "evid of trimmed" according to BVG - came back from PSA as a 7 >>

to add 55 topps Kaline GEM 9= evidtrim
    59 fleer Ted Williams BVG 8.5 = evid of trim

raw 55 topps ed mathews = evidtrim
    raw 55 topps skowron = evidtrim
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>Sent a raw 33 goudey sport king to PSA and it came back a 2. Resent it 2 months later (raw again) and it came back a 5.

GG >>

I really find this hard to believe. Are you sure this wasn't a GAI or SGC card?

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Absolutely positive dabighurt.

Bought it raw, and sent it in twice myself.

sincerely yours,

GG
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sent a raw 33 goudey sport king to PSA and it came back a 2. Resent it 2 months later (raw again) and it came back a 5.

GG >>

I really find this hard to believe. Are you sure this wasn't a GAI or SGC card? >>

Why the hell do you find this so hard to believe? Graders make mistakes. They're only human. It wouldn't be the first time a grader from PSA missed a micro crease and gave the card a higher grade than deserved. I have a '84 Clemens that been graded a PSA 9, but there's actually a crease in the back that can only be seen when viewed at a certain angle under a light. If I sent this in again and they caught it, the card would be an automatic PSA 5.
  • Options

<< <i>Back before I realized that PSA was the best and most consisitent... >>

<< <i>That's a pretty significant increase, especially from the same company. That just goes to show that even with the best company, it is all subjective, and their is going to be differences because we are all human.
    >>

...huh?

Frank, God bless you. What in the H-E double hockey sticks is you smokin', boy?

Brian,
    Dabigskirt is just having fun. He's just pushing everyone's buttons. He's a PSA basher who likes to poke fun at the rest of us.

dgf
  • Options

<< <i>Dabigskirt
    dgf >>

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Largest gap?

PSA 8 to PSA 10 ( accomplished six times while building a '77 set)
    SGC 86 to PSA 9 ( accomplished with a '67 Brock)--I think SGC screwed up and PSA got it right, by the way. I'm not sure to this day what SGC was thinking with the 86, but I digress...

Nearly half of the PSA 10's from the late 70's I've purchased off of eBay would garner no better than SGC 88 if they were attempted, however.

dgf
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    1964 Koufax BVG 6.5 --> PSA 8 (honestly, I'd grade it 7.5)
    1989 Griffey BGS 9 --> PSA trimmed image
    1994 A-Rod BGS 9 --> PSA trimmed image
    1948 Musial GAI 8 --> PSA 6 image

These were cracked out and submitted raw. The only one I'd dare send to PSA in its current holder is SGC.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    downgoesfrazier,

PSA is the most consistent, IN MY OPINION. You may have a different one.

As far as being the best, one of the criteria for that is reputation, and POTENTIAL RETURN. There is no doubt that PSA will consistently bring the higher pricese (with the exception of maybe modern BGS 9.5 stuff).

Oh yeah, I'm not smokin' anything. That stuff is bad for your health. image

Shane

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if we are talking about legitimate grading companies.....I cracked open a 77 SGC 96, submitted it to PSA, and it came back a disappointing PSA 7.image
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    1972 BVG 9 - trimmed
    1968 BVG 9 - trimmed

Did not remove either from holder though.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA