Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Madagascar help - Photo's added!

I have a 1883 10 centimes coin from Madagascar, but can't find it in the Krause...anyone know what it's listed under? The coin is the size of a pre-decimal GB penny.

Thanks,
Bill

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm at work, but a quick google of Madagascar and 1883 gives me...

<< <i>In 1883 the French bombarded and occupied Toamsina (then Tamatave), and in 1885 they established a protectorate over Madagascar, which was recognized by Great Britain in 1890. Rainilaiarivony organized resistance to the French, and there was heavy fighting from 1894 to 1896. In 1896, French troops under J. S. Gallieni defeated the Merina and abolished the monarchy >>

I started cutting and pasting alot, but nevermind... read the whole thing....
    Here I don't know if it'll help, but maybe try looking under the French somehow.

Cathy

• Options
    Got a picture of the coin?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Funny though, Madagascar shows up in the 20th Century Krause but no clue to it in the 19th century. I did a rather cursory search through related French and British colonies but found no geographical or political references to Madagascar.

I was looking for 19th century references to Sumatra in Krause recently-none found. Normal listing in the previous edition of Krause though. You'd think that the KM companies computers could do a quick search for the countries to be listed (prior to pushing the print button...), might take a millisecond.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill, I have searched the 'net, and through editions of Krause from 1972, 1984, 1994, and the current 19th century edition, and can't find anything about that coin ... or even one that looks like it.

It obviously exists !!! I can't figure out where else to look image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I really don't know either. The fields are pretty shiney, so maybe it's a specimen or trial or?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Nice piece!
    It seems impossible to find a free translator for Malagasy but I'd guess the coin was minted for the native Merina monarchy that survived the French protectorate of 1883 until they abolished it in the military conquest of 1895-96. Perhaps they were minted by the French for the monarchy hoping that it would help modernize and tie them more to their occupiers. Krause SHOULD have this listed but... Maybe it is in the Unusual World Coins edition?

No help but the best I could find:
    World Language dictionaries
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Found some text that MAY point to a pattern or "sample" ...

The first attempts at creation of a currency authentically Malagasy occurred with the advent of the "Kingdom of Madagascar", as well as the British recognized the Merina kingdom after its extension towards the coasts. In 1826, upon its daring reforms, Radama Ier followed an attempt at manufacture of currency with its effigy. Weighing 13 gr., the single specimen of this silver coin was with the Palate of the Queen. At least before the fire of 1995. Under the reign of Radama II (1861-1863), the "Charter lambert" includes the manufacture of currency with the portrait of the king. The projects will remain out of night light until the advent of Ranavalona III with the throne into 1883 which planned to exchange the treasure accumulated in the cellars of the Palate by the Rasoherina queen, which would be 800 000 francs in Mexican piastres. European monetary workshops are then reflected to manufacture samples of currencies, in particular of 5 francs, 10 centimes and "kirobo" (1f 25).

From This Link

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    All I've got:

Madagascar
    Kingdom
    10 Centimes
    Bronze
    Ranavalona III
    No Mintage figures
    Old prices state XF= $60 UNC=$100

Source: Third Edition Unusual World Coins, Colin R. Bruce, ISBN 0873411927

I'd Google 'Ranavalona' for more info...good luck. S
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    That is a way cool piece.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    There is one in a listing on the internet at this site under the heading of French colonies...link.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is definitely a cool piece. Looks like a possible pattern to me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.