Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Some things are just too bizarre

Here I am getting rid of some odds and ends on Ebay, preparing to move to Idaho in just 9 weeks. So I list up two auctions of 5 coins, 1oz of .999 silver rounds from various mints and assay offices on the west coast. Now mind you these are just generic .999 silver rounds, big whoppee, worth bullion and spot, maybe all of $24.00 per lot.
I have gotten 22 emails about them, 22! What the devil? It seems a couple of them are toned, yeah well I kept them in an empty cleanex box for about ten years or so. Poor storage, its generic silver so I could care less. They are BULLION for crying out loud! I've got 110 ozs more to list yet.
On one lot a bidding war has started - over $32.00 plus 9 watchers and still has two days to go, the other is at $24 and has a dozen watchers and that will go higher yet as well.
What does "toning" have to do with anything other than eye appeal on BULLION? What are these folks thinking? Okay a couple are prooflike, so what? A couple are toned and a bit colorful, so what? I don't think they can even be certified. I am at a loss and am even considering canceling the auctions because these people are "clueless" and I'm worried about getting "neg'd" when what shows up isn't what they expect and I don't want to go through the return hassle (if they get returned).
Have I missed something here? Are .999 silver assay rounds worth more than mere bullion value? Or have I just wandered into the twighlight zone and silver is worth more than 4.70 an ounce?

The Puzzled PuddlePirate
"Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave

Comments

• Options
    When I listed a large portion of my collection a long while ago, it had many toned coins in there, most of which were all commen stuff, I started getting questions regarding the toned coins, and once I answered , I would list the comments on the item description screen.... I got around 150.00 over what book value was for the entire collection. Odd, personally I won't pay any premium for something toned.....
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I have no idea what goes through these people's heads. No idea at all. I have seen people on ebay give their first born to dis-honest sellers with crap items over an honest seller with quality items. Of course you my friend are one of the good guysimage
  • Options

<< <i>Or have I just wandered into the twighlight zone and silver is worth more than 4.70 an ounce?

The Puzzled PuddlePirate >>

Ummm, today's close on silver was $6.97. 5 ounces would be melt at just under $35.00.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Don't sweat it - as long as you have a reasonable return policy and polite communication no one will neg you. As for the pricing, that's the beauty of an auction - the buyers can offer exactly what they think the lot is worth.

-JamminJ
  • Options
    $6.97 AN OUNCE! Okay so I'm not going starkers but that puts a smile on my face. Shows you how long ago I actually looked at bullion silver prices. image
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    See sig and watch for the hammer price. image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> $6.97 AN OUNCE! Okay so I'm not going starkers but that puts a smile on my face. Shows you how long ago I actually looked at bullion silver prices. >>

Actually, silver is down right now. It has been in the $7.50 range for the past month or so and was even over $8.00 an ounce briefly. image I run silver round auctions on eBay every once in a while and they usually sell for a slight premium over spot. It helps if you have "name brand" silver such as Engelhard or J & M, but a variety of diffrent generic themes will do as well image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Many collectors will pay a premium for a toned piece, regardless of what the heck it is. I am one of them on occasion. Certain types of toning are, IMHO, attractive enough to pay that premium. Just sit back and enjoy the final price image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I had been looking for a particular 19th century Japanese 10 sen-saw one in BU white-unimpressed. Bought one last week toned in shades of metallic orange, mauve, and blue in AU.

Not only was it gorgeous, but the color let the raised details (primarliy the dragon) stand out on bold relief. Now, the 10 sen is a very small coin;seeing the detail was difficult with the white coin, easy to see in color. Faced with the choice what would you have purchased?

Edited to add: aren't you glad that your toned coins have a higher market appeal than you thought?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
    I think there are some generous coin lovers out there who are simply trying to save the rounds from a lifetime in IDAHO!! image

Seriously, I had the pleasure over 30 years ago of visiting that fine state on vacation (saw the volcanic caverns & the Snake River), and it's lovely out there!

- - Dave image