Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What kitchen table grading companies grade fakes?

I noticed by looking at wht the WA guy was bidding on, that halloffamegrading.com appears to grade a questionable 51 bowman Mantle and the have a graded 52 Mays on the site. He also had the 53 topps Pro Choice Mantle that is likely fake. We all know PRO grades trimed cards but do all the other junk companies grade counterfeits?

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I can't recall which one, but one kitchen table grader says on its web site that authenticating cards is too difficult so they don't make that part of the grading process. In other words: "Scammers, send your reprints here!"
  • Options

<< <i>I can't recall which one, but one kitchen table grader says on its web site that authenticating cards is too difficult so they don't make that part of the grading process. In other words: "Scammers, send your reprints here!" >>

That would be the ever so well respected Gem Grading Company.

"GEM Grading Services Inc. grades the quality of actual sportscard paper stock. Providing authentication is challenging and not guaranteed due to improved computerized printing techniques."

http://www.gemgrading.net/sportscards.html
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    halloffamegrading only grades counterfeits. You'll never find a legitimate card in a holder with that label on it. There is another company that the same guy runs out of him home near Las Vegas. Only fake cards in those holders also.

Gem only receives trimmed cards for grading, but I think they will slab a counterfeit with little hesitation

Pro will not grade fake cards, but they will grade trimmed cards. Most vintage PRO cards are trimmed

PCG holders contain only counterfeit cards

AAA grades completely worthless paper items, like newspaper clippings and hacked up 1954 Sports Illustrated paper cards.

Graded rookies only has badly trimmed cards

The only companies I would feel comfortable buying cards in are PSA, SGC & SCD (now out of business). I am not comfortable buying GAI. I would not buy vintage in Beckett. And I wouldn't touch anything in any other holder with a 10 foot pole.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I am sure you saw that GRADEMYCARDS.COM 1952 Topps Mantle on ebay a while back. I think it went high. It was the basice grade and not the detailed so it only had a grade number. I wish I still had a link to it.
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Off the top of my head, my most recent memory is RareGrading. Flip looks like GEM grading and it was a 1979 OPC Gretzky 10 (large scan, no dot). Sold for over $600 by jlew. In fact, I think jlew is a main seller of this brand.

Also, anybody that's creating their own flips and sending them
    to GMAgrading.com (grade your own icon) with their own brand name
    and having GMA slab the cards and affixing whatever the grade the
    owner wants.