Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

IT'S CHEAPER TO BUY THAN TO MAKE MODERN REGISTRY COINS

Personal experience. Last year I sent my Lincoln cent from the 2004 proof set to PCGS. They graded it PR68DCAM, one of only 16 so graded. I wanted a PR69DCAM for my collection so I bought it on EBAY. The two coins look exactly alike so as far as I was concerned that was the last time I'd try to make one of these myself.

This year I ordered and received my proof set as usual. Last Thursday I went into EBAY and ordered a 2005 S Lincoln proof cent in PCGS PR69DCAM as a Buy it Now for $15.24 including postage. Today, 5 days later I have my registry coin in hand.

My experience is that in the case of these modern coins, it is a crap shoot to send them in to PCGS for grading assuming you will get the normal PR69 grade. I believe the bulk dealers who submit and have the sorting privilege so that if the coin doesn't make PR69 or PR70 it is not slabbed make it useless to do it yourself if you are just a collector. I pride myself on the number of nice grades I have gotten from PCGS on coins I have submitted from my raw collection over the years, but as far as these last few years of proofs are concerned, let the dealer do the submitting. It is just not worth the money or the time to try to make them yourself. JMHO. Steveimage

Comments

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug
  • RodiusRodius Posts: 857
    I second that motion. I have tried to make several PCGSPR69 or 70 DCAMs for Jefferson Registry set and always come up short. So I decided to buy from EBAY or from the board. Mitch at Wondercoin has provided so many gems for my registry set, he has great prices and is a pleasure to work with.

• haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    So that's what you think for proofs...what do you think about for business strikes?
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So that's what you think for proofs...what do you think about for business strikes? >>

It's cheaper to buy already slabbed coins than sending them in.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So that's what you think for proofs...what do you think about for business strikes? >>

All my current Lincoln cent business strikes are sitting in my Capital Holders. I just can't see the value in getting them slabbed. I KNOW they aren't top pop so I let my Memorial business strike registry sit with the 1970 small date, the 1972 doubled die, and the 1995 doubled die, the only three businees strikes I have had slabbed. Steveimage
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    My opinion is that if you go for a below pop top set it may be cheaper to buy them slabbed than to send them in for grading. Of course the cheapest is just to enjoy them raw image. If you're going for a pop top set, it is cheaper to try to make them, but a whole lot more frustrating!!
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - buy your 69dcams from the guys that are trying to make the 70dcams. They will sell them at or below cost to move them out.

Been doing that for years. But sometimes I still submit a proof set for fun, but only if it doesn't have any dogs in it - those 8dcams are tough on your grading ego.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    I second Cameonut's suggestion. For now, the best deals on moderns at PR69Dcam's are from the heavy submitters trying to get PR70Dcams. I have submitted a few sets, but never made a 70Dcam. Also, I keep ruining at least one coin during the crackout. Scratched one of Lincolns that I thought had the best chance at a 70DCam but ended up 68Dcam (not worth the slabbing cost).

Ironically, I think the best deal on the 70Dcams is also via the volume dealers. Even with sight-seen coins I have trouble telling a 70.

I also have concluded that unopened sets rarely provide a payback.

Badger
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Some coins you can't buy so you have to make them yourself. 1968-P Lincoln in MS67RD, 68-D MS67 Ken half. I have never seen one of these for sale so I had to make them and now I know why you never see them for sale.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    Go with the volume dealers and buy them already slabbed. Mitch is a great person to deal with and always has a lot of nice/needed coins! I've tried making my Kennedys and some Ike's. but PCGS ALWAYS wins!! I have several 68's and loads of 67's to compare the coins to. YET, I'm lucky to make a 66 on the older(pre 90) Kennedys! Since my first submission, I've not made a single upgrade after going thru many rolls, singles and mint sets. For me, I'll leave the dirty work to the experts that are either better at it than me, OR, have "an IN' at PCGS! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    I agree with you 100% Steve. I am building Lincoln proof and business strike sets and I am almost SCARED to use my annual free gradings these days.

What absolutely BAFFLES me is I just received a Bison nickel in PR69DCAM the other day and it looks like someone sneezed on the obverse. I was able to switch the coin out with the dealer...but GOOD LORD....who at PCGS would give this coin a PR69DCAM designation??? It really makes me wonder......