Home Stamps Forum

A.S.A. Digest Vol. I

I'm trying to find out if a book I ran across in a used book store has any collector value, as I am a coin collector and know nothing of stamps. Among the coin books was an old maroon colored stamp book, dated 1940. What stood out was the name John Coffee. I emailed John Coffee Jr; of the Atwood-Coffee catalog fame. Apparently this book is unique, being bound especially for his father. Part of his reply is as follows:

"Yes, that was my father. Actually he did not write it. He was secretary of the A.S.A., a position I persuaded him to accept. I was 11 years old at the time and he was a member of the United States Congress, and he regretted that he had acceded to my request, and he resigned when the position (unpaid of course) became too onerous. I think what you have is a bound edition of the year's copies of the A.S.A. digest and as I recall Frank Kellogg, a school teacher in Tacoma who was also president of A.S.A presented the book to my father, and I believe it has my father's name inscribed on the cover. Where in heaven's name did you see that book? My dad died in 1983 at age 86. = JOHN COFFEE jr."

After receiving the reply, I returned to the bookshop, where inside the cover was the following:

"From a charter member to a new member and officer. May this quaint and curious volume never become forgotten lore.
Frank Kellogg March 21, 1941."

And yes, his name, John Coffee is embossed in gold on the cover. Also on the cover is "American Stamp Association Vol. I"

So wadda you all think, is there a demand for something like this? Thanks, Joe

Comments

• dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Thats a very neat find. I don't know anything about book values, but I would love to have it just in my library, assuming Coffee, Jr did not want it. If the book was not terribly expensive, I would ask if John Coffee, Jr would like it and give it to him free.

Doug
  • Apparently, Mr. Coffee has an extensive library. At this point it would be just one more book. He told me to enjoy it. There's only so much enjoyment you can get from a hobby-themed book, when your not in the hobby. He was much more concerned about many other books bought from his dad's estate which contain between the pages, among other things, personal letters to his dad from Winston Churchill, discussing the war. Coffee Jr. is up on his autographs also, saying that these letters are worth a minimum of $2000. per.
    I've talked to the bookstore owner, the one who drove her old station wagon to the fathers estate, and returned with it full of books she bought. I showed interest, and next time I'm in she will look for the original list of books she bought. Without alarming her, I'm planning an entire day to look for printed treasure. And for now it sits, I'd kinda like to donate it somewhere, but no one has shown much interest. Initially, I was looking for a coin-stamp person who wanted it for a trade. But I'm sort of leaning towards the donation thing.
  • dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Ozniz, how much would you like for the book? I know a person who collects early philatelic items. If you turn on your PM, I can discuss more.

Thanks.
    Doug