Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

who bids like this??

newbie on the board. i'm trying to put together a 1958 master set. i won a psa 10 (#99 bobby adams) last night on e bay. auction # 5177965637. check out the snipe at the end , $700 more than actual high bid at the time and exactly $1.00 less than my high bid. i'm a betting man and i think the odds are way too long for this exact bid. any thoughts or comments on this ? anybody ever have this happen to them ? thanks in advance, mike

Comments

• Options
    A search through the underbidder's history shows that this is not uncommon for him. I submit this as an exaple: 1957 TOPPS # 136 JIM HEGAN PSA 9 NO RESERVE

It appears that he places bids to try to gauge the high bid and then decides whether or not to place a subsequent bid.
  • Options
    i thought of this also. but how would he have time to execute another bid with only scant seconds left. mike
  • Options
    He might have multiple windows open on his computer set with higher bids.

Here he bid with 12 seconds left and then again with 4:
    1956 Topps #133 Ray Narleski * Indians * PSA 9
  • Options
    "i see" said the blind man. he's got to have one heck of a collection. oh well i'm still thrilled with the card. thanks for your time and effort. mike
  • Options
    Fast fingers!!!

Hey, you did the same thing except earlier. You picked a price, stayed with it and won. So are you upset that he bid your item up by $700 or you just want to know how he gauged your highest bid and droppped in a buck below it?
  • Options
    i think i'm more annoyed @ his coming in $1.00 below my bid. why not bid $1299 or $1399 or even $1599. i bid $1500 and i am glad i won but, if i'm a big time buyer/collecter i would use my "fast fingers" and bid the extra few hundred to pick up one of the few 1958 psa 10's or in this case $2.00 more. you say i did the same thing but i didn't snipe in at the end with that bid. i just can't understand how/why exactly $1499 and not bid more if you really wanted it.oh well live and learn. thanks, mike
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    I know the bidder...he's a reliable guy and a serious collector with some very nice sets. I agree that his bidding pattern is a little odd.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    think i'm more annoyed @ his coming in $1.00 below my bid. why not bid $1299 or $1399 or even $1599. i bid $1500 and i am glad i won but, if i'm a big time buyer/collecter i would use my "fast fingers" and bid the extra few hundred to pick up one of the few 1958 psa 10's or in this case $2.00 more. you say i did the same thing but i didn't snipe in at the end with that bid. i just can't understand how/why exactly $1499 and not bid more if you really wanted it.oh well live and learn. thanks, mike

he had no idea that you were bidding 1500.00, seems you two "all outed" and you won. had he not appeared you would have won that card for almost half of what you ended up paying. How would you have felt if the underbidder won at 1501.00?

Steve

efited to add card is sweeeeeet btw
    Good for you.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    hell, at least he left you a dollar. look at this one where he nailed frank's bid exactly.

1957 kell matching bids
  • Options
    $1500 richer today. ha ha. mike
  • Options
    I know the bidder...he's a reliable guy and a serious collector with some very nice sets. I agree that his bidding pattern is a little odd.

i'm sure, judging by what he's buying it must be awesome. mike
  • Options
    The answer is guys intent on completing a set now, or in a few rare cases
    people who have more money than they know what to do with
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff