Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

An experimental listing...

I'm going to try something different. I put up a small group of raw 87 Topps cards that have been cherry-picked from the dozens of rack cases I've busted. I have thousands of these centered and sharp commons and minor stars. Have any of you done anything like this and do you have any suggestions about the best way to present the listing. Please spare me the "...first of all, don't include 1987 Topps in it." These are quality cards that would require aprox. two 3-boxes cases to locate in various collations. Here's a link to them...

1987 Topps Lot

Thanks guys.

dgf

Comments

• Options
    Hi DGF,

What is your experiment trying to accomplish?

I think the use of an Ebay Id with just 20 something feedbacks will hurt a raw card lot sale.

Scott J.
  • Options
    sjeanblanc,

Mission: To provide REAL quality raw cards at an affordable price and spare these gems from the 5000-count coffins. Grading 87's and the like is a no-win for the collector, but a break-even is good enough for most. I've already done quite a bit of the work. There are a handful of 8's in that lot (legitimately), but there are more legitimate 10's than 8's. I can recover some expense for my time and product and the collector gets nice-lookin' cards. Pretty good deal, I think.
    Feedback: My other ID "mint70s" is primarily for buying these days. "Pack-Fresh" has to start somewhere. I have actually done extremely well even when my feedback was under 10 on sales. The words like "item as described" and "stunning" to describe my cards in the feedback speak volumes. The re-peat bidders also help.

Is there anything in the description you might add?

dgf
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    You might consider spamming this on the buy/sell/trade forum to get more exposure for your auction.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i think it will be interesting to watch.. you should take paypal though.. i'm more apt to buy a low-dollar item if i can just pay quickly through paypal rather than getting a money order..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    koby,
    Do you really think I'm spamming a $7 item? This is a graded card forum and these are mint cards in raw form. My inbox explodes with people looking for one or two cards...here's a whole bunch. The '77 Rose 10 was spam, this isn't...now get real and go away. Damn, you're annoying.

pandrews,
    I've tried paypal twice and found it annoying and difficult. Perhaps the third time is a charm. Your advice may be followed in the weeks to come.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>koby,
    Do you really think I'm spamming a $7 item? This is a graded card forum and these are mint cards in raw form. My inbox explodes with people looking for one or two cards...here's a whole bunch. The '77 Rose 10 was spam, this isn't...now get real and go away. Damn, you're annoying.
    >>

What's wrong with you? I don't care if there's an extra post here. But if you are trying to maximize your money, I was just suggesting the buy/sell forum. POS
  • Options
    I can't see a 500 count unopened vending box costing any more than $5-$10 at a show. You're at $12.99 for 100 commons, which means he could've bought 2 vending boxes full of untouched cards. How hard is it to get 100 nice cards from a 1000 cards. Plus you'll get lots of star cards and pretty close to a complete set. Emphasizing the handpicked quality might land you a sale or two but I don't think the buyers will know too much.
  • Options
    sucks that an 18 year old set is only worth seven cents a card for starters.
    Good luck.
    But makes me wanna gather up everything I have post 1974 and sell it starting
    at about a buck and just be glad for the extra space IF it sells.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options
    Nice pictures... hopefully your prospective 1987 buyer will appreciate it.
    man, that's making me want a gemmy mike greenwell :-)
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    dgf i think its a great idea and i hope you do this for a set that i'm working on. i was thinking about doing a similiar thing with '78 topps. i agree with the paypal comments- its just so easy. good luck
    Bob
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think you'll have a hard time getting bids on the cards. I have no doubt at all that it is a good deal, but it will take a while for your buyers to recognize that your lots are different than the other 1987 cards their search found. Honestly, I think one key for you would be using a PSA spam in the title. I know that's not cool, but your market is people that are interested in PSA quality 1987 Topps, and I doubt they'll ever click through to see your auction. Short of using a PSA spam, something more like "Mint to Gem hand picked from over 50000 cards" or something to catch a buyer's attention.

Just my thoughts...
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Whale> After opening a 3-box rack case of 87T, I can assure you you simply will not find 100 legitimate gem mint cards in two vending (or rack boxes). Sure you'll be close to a complete set if you buy two vending boxes, but for the same money I'd much rather have 100 blazers than a complete set containing 20 blazers and 772 turds.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    if it was 100 GEM MINT cards, cards that would have a solid shot at grading a PSA 10, with a minimum of a PSA 9 (50% of either), then I think you'd have a worthwhile auction. However, you have some that are NM/MT...blegh. A 1987 NM/MT common may be worth negative dollars.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    It is a great looking listing...............

........you should accept paypal.........

......it would be easier to put together a great 87 set by buying complete sets or vending boxes then in 100 card lots.

....It really is a great looking listing....

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I think my major concern would be how you planned to ship them.

Sure they might be mint to gem mint now but what about once they get to me in the mail?

Do you plan on sending each card in a penny sleeve or card saver?

I like the picture though and the explanation. Stating that there are Gem Mint cards in the lot should help tremendously. Good luck!
  • Options
    some really helpful stuff here guys, thanks! A couple of notes:
    penny sleeves and team bags have worked nicely on light items like this.
    Whale,
    You ain't finding cards that look like these in two 3-box rack cases. You also won't be able to put together a complete set like these with less than 20 6-boxes from various sources and have to get lucky. These are exceptional cards.
    Kennylow,
    You MUST put NM/MT in there. If someone wants to play the grading game, they have to expect some 8's no matter the quality. There are more 10's than 8's and mostly 9's in the lot...although with PSA's shifting standards and moodiness and difficulty assigning grades accurately, the whole lot could be 10's or 8's from those guys.

dgf
  • Options
    I have decided that I will build a complete monster set and see how that goes instead. I'll start it off at $175 or so and see what happens.
    The worst that could happen is I get stuck with a blazing extra set.

Thanks for your help guys,
    dgf
  • Options
    Hi DGF,

I think you should reference or at least mention your 1977 Topps set and how it was built. It will give potential buyers confidence that you know what to look for in card condition, and differentiate you from
    all the other sellers that claim "Mint" and "Gem Mint" raw cards. We know you have an awesome eye for cards, but eBayer's probably won't.

Scott J.
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    As we all know on this board, no one has hire standards than DGF. I would bet these cards are absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, the ebay world isn't aware of his standards and will most likely be suspicious. For a guy putting together an awesome 87 set and knw the seller like we do, this auction would be a killer.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    Hey more power to you if you can create a market for it. What you're selling is your eye for picking out cards of the highest quality. The value of the time you've spent putting together a group of perfect cards goes beyond what most people would do. You may also want to offer the cards that didn't make the cut in large greatly reduced priced lots. This may help show people there's a difference and help them understand you're offering a great service in your premium priced lots.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that's making me want a gemmy mike greenwell :-) >>

I have hundreds (maybe thousands) of Mike Greenwell cards. I also just picked up a lot od '69 & '70 basketball if you're still looking for Knicks. Drop me an email if you're interested Otter.

email
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>sucks that an 18 year old set is only worth seven cents a card for starters.
    Good luck.
    But makes me wanna gather up everything I have post 1974 and sell it starting
    at about a buck and just be glad for the extra space IF it sells. >>

this would not be wise. there are collectors willing to pay for great quality raw. I tried it once, only the one bidder, BUT he bid up to my high reserve and was pleased with the cards.

1978 Topps raw

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    what the poster with my name didn't say was that he didn't collect anything seriously
    after 1974, other than brief flings in 1981 and 1987 and 1991. Just cheesy that
    the Donruss set I bought in 1981 is worth about the same as what I paid for it.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff