Home U.S. Coin Forum

1956 proof Franklin Type 1 and Type 2 comparison image.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
A little something for you cherrypickers to keep handy:

Go rip some dealers! image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Which type is less common?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which type is less common? >>

Type 1.

Russ, NCNE
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Thanks, I can never keep this straight, so the more pics, the better!
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Nice photos, Russ. I always think of the eagle on the type 2 as being "pumped up" (or maybe on steroids?) image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    Is that a cross on the eagle's breast?
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I can't really tell the difference. Different sizes?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>I can't really tell the difference. >>

The easiest way for me to tell is the wing feathers to the left and completely clear of the perch. Type 1 has four wimpy ones, Type 2 has three beefy ones.

Russ, NCNE
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    The only difference I can see (besides the fact that Type 2 is really frosty!!!) is, possibly, a slightly different "angle" on the right side feathers. Is that what makes the difference?

Never mind ... you answered it image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Type 2 also has alot more detail on the mid section of the eagle's feathers.
    3 Jonesy Dammit Girls...CLW POTD!!! 10/9/05 image
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this post...it is very educational!
    ANA LM
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Aside from the Type 1 being less common, what's the value difference between the two.

In what grade does it become a GREAT RIP?

Dan

<< <i>Aside from the Type 1 being less common, what's the value difference between the two.

In what grade does it become a GREAT RIP? >>

In average brilliant, not a whole lot. PR68 and PR69, the spread widens quite a bit, but the Type 1 still won't make you rich. Where the bucks are is in cameo and deep cameo. The Type 1 is scarce in cameo, and just plain RARE in DCAM. A PR68CAM Type 2 is around a $100 coin; a PR68CAM Type 1 is about 10 times that. Any DCAM Type 1 is $thousands.

Russ, NCNE
  • drdjadrdja Posts: 82 ✭✭
    That’s pretty cool. It also looks like the space between the beak and right wing is larger in Type 1 (or type 2 eagle has a larger head).
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Gonna' have to check my proof sets. Thanks. Didn't know there were two types.
  • So... looking for 5 wingtips instead of 4, right? image
    -George
    42/92
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I keep dreaming of buying a raw, cameo 56 franklin for cheap, and then getting it to discover that it's really a scarce and valuable type 1...... hasn't happened yet.......image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
    Myqqy,

We all have similar dreams. image

Russ, NCNE
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    We all have similar dreams.image

Sounds like you're starting to like franklins! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
    Here's something to tide you over while you hunt:

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>Sounds like you're starting to like franklins! >>

No, I like profit!

Russ, NCNE
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting decent photos Russ. I've been ripping these for years at bid.

Your comments on the values of the Type 1 cameos/dcams is right on. Very difficult to find in cameo and dcams are nearly unheard of. The best I have been able to find is a PCGS cameo. Dcam reverse with a cameo obverse. I suspect there are very few matched dcams out there. I also seem to remember that there is a doubled die reverse mentioned in Breen. That would mean that there were two Type 1 dies at a minimum - possibly more.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Just sold 4 type ones,no cams though

According to Breen,the Type One makes up about 5 % of the 56 Proofs

Check the PCGS pops,they are actually quite common in non CAMS.

Proof
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, what is the ratio of Type 1's to Type 2's?

<< <i>Russ, what is the ratio of Type 1's to Type 2's? >>

<< <i>According to Breen,the Type One makes up about 5 % of the 56 Proofs. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • That would be what ?

1 in 20
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 1956 Frankies, cuz #1 its my birth year; and #2 I have found some nice raw CAMDCAM proof Type @ coins in original proof sets or as singles. I have only come across one Type 1 proof and it is brilliant and would grade maybe 64-65.

I cherrypicked an original 1956 set from a pawn shop last about 2 weeks ago that has a CAMDCAM half. Even though the coin has light haze on it, on first seeing the set, the half screamed CAMDCAM at me through the cello. After I bought the set I remembered Type 1 vs. Type 2 and had visions of scoring a DCAM Type 1 (major Cha-Ching). Alas, my dreams of a big score were dashed when I scoped out the coin's reverse and found a Type 2. Still a hell of a nice coin.

As Russ says, "I love cameos".
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the percentage of type 1's is about 5% as stated previously. Be careful about drawing conclusions from the pop reports. Most people would not slab a brilliant type 2 but would slab a brilliant type 1 - especially if high grade.

Also, I have noticed that the Type 1's come in mint packaging with corrugated paper liners - I suspect this was initial packaging developed to replace the cello bags in paper box in 1955. Later sets seem to be in envelopes with tagboard liners as seen in later years. (100Proof1957's Type 1's were in the corrugated liner packaging). So look close when you see the corrugated liners.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

The corrugated liners were also used in 1957, so that isn't really an indication that a 1956 with that liner type was early production.

Russ, NCNE
  • Thanks for the tid bit Nut.

I have 3 57 proofs right now that are tag board.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    FYI, I discovered 21 mint sealed 1956 sets with the type 1 half (out of 300+ sets that I opened recently to look at). I cut out the best looking type 1 and sent it to PCGS with my last submission, hoping for a CAM, but it came back PR66. I also recently sold some unopened 1956 sets on EBAY (seems like the price is always a little higher for the unopened ones). I suppose some of them may have type 1 CAMS, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anyway, it was lots of fun; and I'm going to open the rest of them one of these days when I get the urge again. There seem to be quite a few type 2 CAM/DCAM halves in the 1956 sets I've opened so far. image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ,
    This is always good information to have. I've brought it to the top for the newb's to see.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to hijack Russ's thread with one of my coins, but here is one for ya.
    imageimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, this is an excellent reference thread!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I keep dreaming of buying a raw, cameo 56 franklin for cheap, and then getting it to discover that it's really a scarce and valuable type 1...... hasn't happened yet.......image >>

6 months ago I made a 56 T1 Frankie in 68CAM. Got it out of a $48 proof set.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file