Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

POLL: Pick the better set of photos

These are the same coin photographed under different lighting. Please vote for the one you like better and explain why you like your choice better. Please also fell free to tell me what you like and don't like about the photos, it is o.k. to be brutal.image

I am having a hard time getting nice looking photos of BU gold, so any advice will be welcome.

#1:
imageimage

imageimage
If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    The lighting on both is uneven, perhaps using the "lampshade" method mentioned is several threads for proofs could be a solution.
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. Send the coin to me so I can evaluate it in person. imageimage
  • Options
    You need a second light with less harsh highlights from them.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Not that I particurlarly like either one, I have no experience photographing gold, but it appears to be a hard color to capture.

You may want to try less direct lighting, and maybe the reflective glass technique?

imageimage
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    #1 is better because the image is not oversaturated by the light.

There are some coins I simply can not photograph due to the way the coin reflects the light.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    All my gold photos are taken with a clear glass 100W bulb on a swing arm lamp. If you like those photos , give that a try. It is the type of bulb used by dealers at shows to show off gold at it's best.image
  • Options
    either use 2 lights or try the lampshade. the lampshade would prolly work because you get diffused light and no single light source seems to show up as reflection on the coins.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a bad time with gold, too. The first set has better detail, but the second set looks "washed out" by the reflected light.

The best results I've achieved have been using Darkhorse's method of direct light to the coin, pic taken at an angle, and then make it "round" again using photoshop. Darkhorse Thread

... and this is what I got ...

It's not perfect, but closer than I ever got before.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The first pic gives a better view of the full mint lustre.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Perhapse dual lighting would help, you seem to have a washout effect with your current set up.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    the following proof gold coin was photo'd using the 'lampshade method' - I think it worked to eliminate the hot-spots on the coin:

Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pictures in set #2 are too "hot".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I will say the first one is better.

YC
    Paypal
    Ebay.com

My Coins For Sale
    WANTED Any Canadian coins with rotated die from 1982 to 2005
  • Options
    I agree, the first pictures look reddish, like copper.
    See US coins, on my website
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    #2 has too much light reflecting off the coin
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams