Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BGS or BVG?

What do you recommend for vintage cards besides PSA?

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    SGC
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    BVD
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    I would never use beckett on a vintage card. Even if it was free with 24 hour turn around... I wouldn't use them for vintage.

pm me if you want my experience... I'll probably get a shoe thrown at me if I rant and bash them again...

Seriously... I would say SGC is an awesome grading company for vintage... I like them a lot. Why not just use PSA? PSA is the most accurate and will certainly help your cards retain their value.
  • Options

Your answers to my question should be BGS or BVG.
  • Options
    as far as I know... any card before 1980 submitted goes into a BVG holder... I don't think you get a choice.
    the BGS designation is supposed to be more rigorous... therefore... some people will pay premiums for the BGS designation...
    because it's perceived to be more rigorous... etc...
  • Options
    Your requests of my answers to your questions should be polite and thankful.

BCCG

Now bow to me.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>the BGS designation is supposed to be more rigorous >>

Good one!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Think what ydsotter was referring to is
    vintage cards graded by BGS prior to Beckett coming up with BVG.
    The vintage cards graded under the original BGS service were graded pretty tough.

Just remember that any card graded by Beckett under any of their services,
    may have been recently cut from a sheet, meaning no legitimate grading company will cross it over.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭

<< <i>Your answers to my question should be BGS or BVG. >>

SGC
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Our answers to your question should be whatever we want. Just because you offered the two Beckett brands to choose from doesn't mean that there aren't other companies out there that board members have had much more positive experiences with.

So to answer your question, I will respond with the Gettysburg Address, because this is the internet and I will do as I damn well please.

<< <i>Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. >>

• Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    "the answer is.....the answer is........................................FOUR??????"
    - Rodney Dangerfield

"Right"
    - Some smuck

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I've used BVG for vintage cards before. They grade pretty harsh. Despite all the marketing stuff about taking a card's age into consideration, they treat the vintage stuff just like the modern. I usually wind up re-submitting back to PSA.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    If my only choices are Beckett or Beckett, I'm gonna start collecting marbles.

But the question is irrelevant. You don't get to choose to have your 2004 Atomic Refractor Gold Foil Die-Cut Laser-Etched Miguel Cabrera in a BVG holder, nor can you choose to have your 1964 Pete Rose put in a BGS holder. One's for vintage and one's for modern crap, and that's that.
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I am a avid collector of Vintage Basketball's mainstream sets and for the last 5 years I have been Grading,Trading,Ebaying and Crossing Over in an effort to complete and improve on those sets. I have a graded set in each of the Three companies that have been discussed on this Thread (1948 Bowman-PSA/1957 Topps-Beckett/1961 Fleer -SGC) and listed on their respective registries. I feel that all three services are Professional enough and are all getting better as the years go by learning from their past mistakes. The bottom line is that like any other business they need each others competition to stay sharp. I think even the most rabid supporter of one of these respected companies would not want that company to be the only one available. My advice to anybody thinking of getting some raw cards graded is give them all a shot and go with the one that you feels gives you the best value for your money. Good Luck
  • Options
    I guess you haven't heard of Da Big Hurt, or the little boo boo as I like to call him. Another satisfied PSA customer!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SGC and I like their holders - some brands look great with the black background!

Stone
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i have cards i like in holders from psa, gai, sgc, bgs, bvg and even SCD.. but i've only SUBMITTED cards to PSA..

and i enjoyed mudflap's Gettysburg transcript..

<< <i>Your answers to my question should be BGS or BVG. >>

Boyz2Men, ABC, BBD, the east coast family..

Motownphilly back again
    Doin’ a little east coast swing
    Boyz ii men going off
    Not too hard, not too soft

It’s long overdue but now
    Philly’s slammin’
    Boyz ii men, abc, bbd
    The east coast family
    Never skipped a beat, na
    While cooling on south street
    Jet black benz, plenty of friends
    And all the philly steaks you can eat

Back in school
    We used to dream about this everyday
    Could it really happen?
    Or do dreams fade away, yeah
    Then we started singin’
    They said it sounded smooth
    So we started a group and here we are
    Kickin’ it just for you

Yo these four new jacks is real
    Smooth on the harmony tip
    Nate, mike, shawn, and wan
    You know the mentality
    Keep flippin’ the gift

The spotlight is on us now
    Watch us do this
    Da da, daaa da da, da da da da da da
    Live and direct from philly town
    Rap and hype and we can get down
    We are ready to roll
    So now the world will know that we flow

Back in school we used to dream about this everyday
    Could it really happen?
    Or do dreams fade away
    Then we started singing them
    So we started a group and here we are
    Kickin’ it just for you

Boyz ii men, boyz ii men, boyz ii men, boyz ii men, boyz ii men, boyz ii men
    Then we started singing them

Michael bivins’ rap:
    Now check this out
    One day back in philly
    Four guys wanted to sing
    They came up to me I said
    What’s your name? (boyz ii men)
    Ya know what I’m sayin’
    Than I said alright fellas
    Well let me see what you can do
    And then wan said
    Yo mike, check this out
    See if this one moves you

Doom doom doom da da, doom doom doom da da
    Da di da di da da, da da, daa daa daa
    Doom doom doom da da, doom doom doom da da
    Da di da di da da, da da, daa daa daa ohh

Boyz ii men, boyz ii men, boyz ii men
    Boyz ii men, abc, bbd
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    SGC.

jrdolan, you are still one of my favorite people. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

ahh maybe that should have been mentioned in your first post?
    Good for you.
  • Options

NEITHER!!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>SGC.

jrdolan, you are still one of my favorite people. image >>

buccaneer -- if you're a 23-year-old Swedish lingerie model, I'd like to show you my collection of Johnny Bench autos.

If you're not, I'll just say thanks pal, and I hold a certain regard for SGC too. I've got half a dozen 1940s and '50s cards in SGC holders on my desk, and I've procrastinated about crossing them over because they look so damn good in those holders. But I've cast my lot with PSA and I need those cards in my registry sets, so eventually ....