Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Vintage 1931 Churchman golf card grades

I realize not too many collectors are aware of vintage golf cards but I thought I would share my recent submission with everyone interested.

These are tobacco cards and were produced in 1931 by Imperial Tobacco Company of Great Britain. The set consists of 50 caricatures of the top golfers of the day, including Bobby Jones #16, Walter Hagen #25, Gene Sarazen #35, and Harry Vardon #42 to name a few. One of the unusual features to the set is that it includes both the top men and women golfers of the day. If you would like to view the cards, David Johnson has kindly taken the time to included pictures for everyone's enjoyment with his Registry set. I will be adding pictures of my cards once I get the cards back.

The grades may seem a little low but believe me, they are pretty good for this particular set.

Submission number: 570546, zip 29153

Submission
Currently collecting

Vintage golf, 1981-82 Donruss golf, and a few other odds and ends.

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Nice grades - and it's also impressive that you got the entire set graded at once. I'm sure it's a tough set to find in any condition.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    hey vintagegolfcollector, what golf cards have a "mecca cigarettes" back? I have been unable to figure out what these cards are. they are in lousy shape but I just wanted to see what they were

I just got these 2 back.

16 90424951 1932 U.S. CARAMEL 3 BOBBY JONES GOLF 4
    16 90424952 1932 U.S. CARAMEL 3 BOBBY JONES GOLF 4
  • Options

Thanks Greg. This set in particular is tough. Most of the vintage golf cards are tough to find in volume and seldom better than EX-MT. Whenever I think I may never get a chance to upgrade one of my sets, I remind myself of the condition of some of the baseball tobacco sets from the same era. At least the golf cards are only a small fraction of the baseball cards. A full set of 1923 Copes recently sold for just under $600 and the set probably averaged VG or so.

Thanks again,
    Peter
    Currently collecting

• Options

Congratulations on the two Bobby Jones cards.

Sounds like you have a card from the 1910 T218 Champions set. The cards are almost square, nicely colored, and part of a set of 153 cards. It consists of bowlers, aviators, billiards players, golfers, prize fighters, and a few others. Most of the cards are of fighters and therefore listed in the boxers catagory. There are 6 golfers to the set. I think I've seen more Geo Low than the rest of the golfers put together.

Thanks for sharing.
    Currently collecting

• Options
    Peter,
    Congratulations on the grades. That is a nice set. That is a real tuff Bobby Jones card that you got an 8 on.

packCollector,
    Hello. I just sent you a PM.

Thanks,
    JW

wilkins2345@yahoo.com
  • Options

Thanks Jason. As you know, these cards are tough. I'm happy with the grades and look forward to seeing how my other vintage submission does. It has a pretty good mixture so it might take them a little longer. I will let you know when I get the news.

Take care,

Peter
    Currently collecting