Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you ever ask for shipping?

I just paid $2.99 for shipping for a raw 1956 Aaron and it was sent for $.49 in a bubble mailer with no cardboard, just the card in a semi-rigid holder taped shut - i am very lucky it didn't get damaged by USPS, but i sent a short response to the seller about how in the future I would appreciate better packaging (I'll leave positive feedback because he did do good communication, sent the card promptly, it was as advertised).

My question is - Do buyers here often ask for better shipping?
Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri

Comments

• Options
    DavinoDavino Posts: 333

<< <i>I just paid $2.99 for shipping for a raw 1956 Aaron and it was sent for $.49 in a bubble mailer with no cardboard, just the card in a semi-rigid holder taped shut - i am very lucky it didn't get damaged by USPS, but i sent a short response to the seller about how in the future I would appreciate better packaging (I'll leave positive feedback because he did do good communication, sent the card promptly, it was as advertised).

My question is - Do buyers here often ask for better shipping? >>

I think that shipping is not unreasonable. the guy has to drive to the PO, get envelopes, and on & on....
  • Options
    Hey night, I've emailed sellers on a few occaisions. A couple were as you described just the card in a top loader in a mailer which I feel is totally inappropriate. And then there's todays package... One PSA slab dropped in a mailer and closed, no cardboard, no bubblewrap, just a slab. The one that kills me though is a group of cards taped between 2 slivers of cardboard. By the time they get to their destination they're loose and a grade lower than what you purchased if not dinged to chit.

I feel there is nothing wrong with letting a seller know his packaging could improve. Especially when you're paying $3.00 -$6.00 s&h.

JMO, Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    I often ask them to ship Via USPS Boxed Priority and pay the extra.. I forgot to ask BOXED on the 73 Schmidt I just received and the Bastage mailed it in a white Envelope placed it inside the priority envelope !!! No harm to the case or card but with what I paid I sure was scratching my head!!!
    A Sport Card Collector Is a WELL FOCUSED PACKRAT..

Need 1973 Baseball PSA 9's
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I do let the sellers know that I expect good packaging so that items are not damaged. because, if the item is not packaged properly, the USPS insurance will not pay up......It would be the seller's responsibility.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    I recently received a card in a rigid toploader and white envelope with a 37¢ stamp on it. Luckily the card wasn't damaged. I sent an email to the seller stating that he should change his shipping habits to avoid issues with damaged cards and all the hassles that he'll have with unhappy customers.
    As far as gas and time and supplies: if they aren't built into your price, seems like your problem-I shouldn't have to pay you again for shipping me a card. I have no problem shelling out a few bucks for proper packaging and actual shipping costs. But $3 for a plain white envelope and a toploader isn't cool.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    I ship my products in the same way I want to receive them. I have had very few complaints either way.

However if I received a damaged card caused by improper shipping, I would definitely hold the seller responsible - unless he had packed the thing well and the USPS sent it through a chipper shredder.

Shipping well:
    Singles - penny sleeve in top loader in bubble envelope.
    Lots - dep on size, but packed in bubble wrap and immobile.

So in my opinion, you did exactly the right thing: you warned the seller and gave him + feedback.
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I worry about how my cards are going to be shipped to me sometimes. I have emailed people when they have used poor shipping methods, (100 cards loose in a 200ct box, single card loose in reused mailer, etc), usually the idiot says "No one else has said anything, that's how I ship)"

If the guy is really stupid, I will leave him a neutral. More often than not damaged goods are the result of lazy packing. I even had one seller admit that he was lazy, and figured no one would call him on it.

I now ship 1 to 200 cards in a 300ct box. If there are a lot of cards, I use a 100ct snap top box. If it's one card, I put it in a semi rigid, tape it up to some cardboard, and put it in a 300ct box with some wrappers. That seems to work well, and it's thick enough for delivery confirmation. Sending one card then ends up costing me almost $2, but at least I don't have to worry about some idiot whining.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!