Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Box of 20 registry?

Putting legistics and "details" on weight aside... wouldnt it be COOL to have a registry where you could showcase your top twenty coins?

David

Comments

• Options
    YES ! !
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    I would love that..
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Especially if it were to include non PCGS coins as well.

My rarest coin is in an ANACS holder !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I could go for this!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea!!image
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    excellent idea! I like it!

• Options
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a fun registry set.

Many of us would have more than one box of 20 registry sets!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, but I'd like it better if ranks were determined by Forum members. Everyone could have a page on which they ranked their favorite ten registry sets, and those choices/votes would drive the standings, in real time.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Sign me up.

If this was done, I think there should be a manatory amount of types. In other words, you wouldn't be able to have 20 Mercury dimes (as an example).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool idea! I like Andys inputs too.image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sign me up.

If this was done, I think there should be a manatory amount of types. In other words, you wouldn't be able to have 20 Mercury dimes (as an example). >>

Tony, the idea is great, but I would hate to see restrictions placed on what coins should be in a set. I collect Lincoln cents. Only Lincoln cents. My top 20 coins are ALL Lincoln cents. Some business strike, some proof. I would love to showcase these based on what I think are my 20 top coins. Someone else, owning the same collection as mine might have some other top 20 that they would highlight. I don't know how this would work as far as competition goes, but I do like the idea. Steveimage
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how this would work as far as competition goes

Steve - It could go just like I said above. No need for restrictions. No need for rules to compare apples to oranges. It would be a pure popularity contest. Braddick's worst 20 commems, or a box of 20 wildly toned anythings, or a box of 20 wild looking brockages could beat out an uninspired box of 20 seven-figure coins.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm unconcerned on how ranking would occure, I'd just like to see a place where we can show our best stuff.

David
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    That would be so cool ... why even rank it? Post your top 5, 10 or 20 and require images ... what a treasure trove that would be to go through!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrEureka: We could even have a polling right here and either do it as a ANNUAL March Madness or World Series.

Heck we could even hire "BOZOSimage" to advertise our sets!

Of course no one is allowed to win two years in a row. Makes it more fun!

There is also should be an award for least popular box of 20 registry set!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea and think it should reguire all coins to be imaged. Newest set goes to the top and no grade of one set to the others. Any day a new set is not entered the bottom set goes to the top. In other words we just enjoy seeing each others idea of what his best twenty is.
    imageimage
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    interesting idea.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this could be a really cool thing if done right.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking again about how to accomplish something like this. I posted on Us coin a way to do it, but weightings are tough since the set makeup is not fixed. What I was thinking was to score it like usual but add bonus points for both the weighting of the series and weighting of the individual coin within a series.

Something like:

series weighting bonus:

1-3 = 0
    4-6 = 1
    7-10 = 2

Coin weighting bonus (within the series)

1-3 = 0
    4-6 = 1
    7-10 = 2

So a rare coin within a rare series could get 4 bonus points on top of basic grading points. Then you could just average the coins on your list. May have to make it more aggressive for really rare coins. Would think that a VG chain cent should be worth a bigger score than 12 (8 + 4).

Cold even do it with negative points for not rare coin and big positve points for rare ones, that might even things out a bit.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    It's already in the PSA registry for cardsimage (sort of)

Dennisimage
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Sign me up image
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Awsome idea, I think it'd be cool, and the toner guys might even register their top toners for a set image.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    >>>Especially if it were to include non PCGS coins as well. >>>well if you wanted to present whats out there in numismatics youd have to....include other services who`s standards are somewhere in the same vein

.....having any group of coins that HAVE TO BE GRADED BY A ...PARTICULAR SERVICE has always been a joke to many people especially when it mentions " in the world "...one service grading coins can in no way, shape or form represent whats out there..

...in fact for most series....when you have only one service`s coins in your set*...you are guaranteed NOT to be the best in the world.....just like if you went to the ncaa tourney with an all white team....you got invited....but you will never ...ever win

* means you will not buy another services coins...you can however buy openly and make all coins in the universe potentials for you set and then cross them all into one services holders
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    David asked the question last night on Q & A and DH was not sure how the weighting would work. My suggestion David, is to ask again next week BUT to stress the fact that such a registry would NOT be intended for competition, but WOULD be intended for members to "show off" their 20 favorite (best) coins regardless of denomination. The only requirement would be that they have a PCGS number and the existing registry program could allow the coin details and pictures to be shown. The order of display could be made to change every day so that over time everyone would get a chance to be #1 for a day. People could link their message board signature line to their "Box of 20 Registry" if they wanted to. The whole idea would be INFORMALITY and FUN instead of attempting to create competion for something that cannot be measured that way. David, if what I am suggesting is consistant with your original thoughts, why not try to convey that idea to Dave Hall in next weeks Q & A. Steveimage
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Why don't you just make a web page? No one can tell what can or cannot be put on it, and you can change it as often as you wish. Multiple picture options, too. Put a link to it in your sig line. Probably more people will see it that way then just putting it in the Registry.
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options
    >>>>The only requirement would be that they have a PCGS number>>>

too bad as the result will be much less of a event seeing as how well over half the monster coins in numismatics would not be included...so there would be no point

sort of like..... hey lets have a beauty contest but nobody under 30 can enter....most of the winers wont even be asked to be there

so what does that prove???nada

pcgs having a closed registry.... proves nothing....and to top it off a reistry with serious weighting flaws in it!!!! and i mean serious...do the math....its not hard

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

• Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    monsterman i agree...but hey about that pretty girl contest...i know its late and i probably already had a beer or 2 and my cigar....but hey what about the girl thing?
    bruce scher
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't care for the idea, but then, I don't have 20 cool coins worth megabucks.

That being said, one way to think about the registry part of it is to do what is suggested and not have it set as a competition, and only 1 (ONE) entry per person.
    Afterall, that is the idea behind the box of 20.....if you only had 20 coins which would they be....(some people do more than 1 registry set in a series which is why I mention it).

For points....I think it would be easy enough to do....just take the points that the individual coin would get in its respective series. So, a KEY 1909s-vdb in MS65RD is still worth more than the same in BN.

The issue may be that many will debate whether that coin, that may be weighted the same as a more rare 1893-S morgan dollar in MS grades, is better or not.
    But, if people want to get into the "that coin is worth less points than it should be, etc", it shouldn't happen.

In that case, do the other suggestion, create a webpage and put the coins there.

I think there are a lot more updates and changes that PCGS' resources should be devoted to than this "box of 20", but again, that is just my opinion image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    PSA has a collectors showcase where you can make up your own set and show it off. Why not do this for coins? (Unless there already is something like this in place)
  • Options
    here is my first box of 20 psa cards

from an ebay auction......btw since grading has come to cards..i have gone up 1,000 % in value...gota love it :-)

1979 Topps PSA 9 Gregg Bingham Houston Oilers #67 RARE

lol

monsterman

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>here is my first box of 20 psa cards

from an ebay auction......btw since grading has come to cards..i have gone up 1,000 % in value...gota love it :-)

1979 Topps PSA 9 Gregg Bingham Houston Oilers #67 RARE

lol

monsterman >>

Hey I'm a buyer! lol

With many collectors returning as high as 40% of Pcgs graded coins to build their collections, I like the idea of a registry that would not be based on GPA points and set rating averages. lol Allowing other TGS would be essential for anyone would who want to see the best coins! "Hello, I'm a walrus!" type of attitude for a Pcgs exclusive registry would kill it for the vast majority of collectors!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry people it is the PCGS Registry Forum and the PCGS registry. The powers to be at PCGS are not going to let you showcase any other TPG holder in there REGISTRY.
    Just my thoghts on the realality of it happening.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm unconcerned on how ranking would occure, I'd just like to see a place where we can show our best stuff. >>

http://geocities.yahoo.com/

Mike