Home PSA Set Registry Forum

How many different types of PSA flips are there?

divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi...

I only have about 10 different cards graded by PSA. Some have a hologram some don't. Some also have a different type of font. Can anyone show me all the different types of flips or tags that PSA has used as technology evolved? Does anyone know what year PSA actually started grading cards? Any and all info would be appreciated. image

Thanks very much....Donato
Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Comments

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Donato
    PSA started grading cards in 1991. The first flips had slashes through the zero's. I believe the second flip still had the hologram but no slashes through the zero's same font though. The third flip is the one on your venezualan ryan(rounded red corners)(the one I like the best). The present flip has the square corners on the red band(signifys the departure of Steve Rocchi and Mike Baker) and no hologram. Hope I am accurate and hope it helps?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks John, that does help me. image

I have just a couple more question if you don't mind. Does the 8 digit number have any bearing on how long ago or how recent a card has been graded by PSA. For example if the number starts with a zero on a particular flip, does that mean it was graded early in the run for that particular flip? Do the numbers start over again when they change flips or are the numbers NEVER duplicated?

Thanks again for your help....Donato image
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    the numbers can never be duplicated. ( almost never, but lets leave it at that)

off the top of my head i think there are at least 4 types of flips., maybe more they also had one that had a piece of game used bat or something, but that was only for a promotion.

the first number of the serial has always been a hot topic here, most people agree that serial #'s starting with 0 were graded a long time ago, but any other number is just speculation. some people think a particular number is used for onsite grading, or maybe a particular grader or something like that.

PSA has never said wether there is any patterns to them, maybe its all random.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the numbers can never be duplicated. ( almost never, but lets leave it at that)

off the top of my head i think there are at least 4 types of flips., maybe more they also had one that had a piece of game used bat or something, but that was only for a promotion.

the first number of the serial has always been a hot topic here, most people agree that serial #'s starting with 0 were graded a long time ago, but any other number is just speculation. some people think a particular number is used for onsite grading, or maybe a particular grader or something like that.

PSA has never said wether there is any patterns to them, maybe its all random. >>

Hi calleocho...

Thanks for your bit information, I appreciate it.

Donato image

• helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    I remember that there was speculation that the first 3 or 4 numbers corresponded to a grader ID, and the rest of them were a sequential identifier for that person. If the first few hundred thousand were graded completely sequentially when the company started out with only a handful of graders, it could make sense that there would be some sort of easy internal identifier as new people were brought in who specialized in different cards. Most of the modern cards I see start with 9, while most of the cards in my 75 set start with 3 or 4 or 6. I don't recall seeing a dot-matrix printed flip without a zero-number, but I could be wrong, and that would naturally correspond to the earlier technology before laser printers or whatever were used. Of course, they have total control over the serial number. The 7 millionth and 8 millionth cards, at least, were numbered 07000000 and 0800000 respectively.

Anyway, I've got at least 3 different pieces of paper and case combinations, the style of printing aside, with the hologram case, then a couple different styles of printing on the paper.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay