Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1970 Topps Baseball

I am bulding a set. Some of my cards have a dark back. Does collectors out there know why?

Comments

• Options
    It is speculation that the ‘white’ backed cards came from vending boxes and the ‘aged’ back cards came from packs (wax, cello etc.) no one really knows. It doesn’t have any influence on the purchase price either.

Chris
  • Options
    That Dave Bristol card looks like it was cut from an uncut sheet, and done very badly at that.

As for the discoloration, PSA doesn't seem to deduct much for it, because I have 70 PSA 9's with and
    without the back discoloration.

Scott J.
  • Options
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Wow that Bristol was hacked
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    Yes, the Bristol does look hacked. Is it possible it is grossly miscut? I bought these cards recently and I am trying to build a set by adding them to cards I pulled from packs when I was 13 years old. By the way, all my cards came from packs and they have white backs. Most of the ones I sent in to PSA got PSA 6's. I hope all the cards I bought weren't cut from sheets but I doubt it since there is a combination of both dark and white backs. Also the cards, except the Bristol, measure up to mine.

By the way, you are probably correct about PSA not taking points away when grading for the dark backs because the cards I bought came with a PSA 6 graded Rose and the back was also dark. I don't like it as much because it looks dirty.
  • Options
    Will PSA grade cards that were cut from a sheet if they measure properly?
  • Options
    no
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    calleocho, if they measure properly how could they tell?

Does anyone know if there exists 1970 Topps Baseball uncut sheets?
  • Options
    Interesting no "T.C.C. PRTD. IN USA" on mine or this one:

http://images1.collectors.com/psa/set_registry/m545576/1970Topps599.jpg

It's amazing what one learns from looking a pictures. LOL
  • Options
    gemmy,

they are not supposed to, i am not saying that they never have. At least they try not to.

Like you said it could be difficult to see.

Most sheet cutters take their cards to BGS since they openly allow it. SGC and GAI follow PSA's belief.

PSA checks the actual edge of the card to see if it has been laser cut or cut using some newer technology.

Topps cutted those sheets 35 years ago, its very hard to replicate that original cut.

collectors seem divided when it comes to sheet cut cards.

I find it wrong.
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

calleocho,

Have you ever seen a 1970 Topps Baseball uncut sheet for sale anywhere?

Is putting the cards I purchased vs. my own flush to each other a good test to see if they "match" sizes?

Sorry for so many questions but I am relatively new to vintage collecting other than having some of my 1970 Topps lying around for years.
  • Options
    threre are sheets out there. 1970 topps might be vintage pretty soon, but im not sure if it is yet.

I never liked this set, so gray.

sheets for sale

thats a great website for uncut sheets, very expensive but hey you dont see these stuff everyday.

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I love this set design, not only because of sentimental reasons, but I think having solid color text on gray background makes it very classy looking (the same thing with 1964 against pure white and 1971 against black). More more pleasing to the eye, imo, than multi-colored text against multi-colored background.
  • Options
    Are the uncut sheets thinner than the actual card?
  • Options
    Is it possible this Dave Bristol card was not cut from a sheet? Any 1970 collectors out there ever see such a bad cut from a card that was pulled from a pack?

Do uncut sheets have the same thickness as the cards pulled from a pack?
  • Options

Remember my concerns about the Bristol being possibly cut from a sheet and those ones with the darker backs? Well I didn't send the Bristol in to PSA but I did send 7 HOF player cards into PSA including Munson's Rookie card. The Munson graded a PSA 6, a few PSA 5, and the Catfish Hunter got a PSA 7...non trimmed and all came back graded and the darker backs didn't seem to effect the grade. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

I still think the Bristol was grossly miscut. Who would bother trimming it?
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the card is pregnant???? imageimage

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    gemmy10,
    The Bristol is very likely just a "miscut" card. It appears to be just fine--albeit the sheet slipped a touch under pressure. I have a pristine '61 Aaron with the same "bowing" as a matter of facxt and have seen many, many cards with that same miscut. I sent my PSA through PSA a couple of years ago and they said they couldn't holder it, but the cut was legitimate. I got a complimentary grade and a "It's a shame...such a nice card."
    I also LOVE 1970 topps cards. When they're clean and focused and well-struck...BOO-YAH!

Best of luck with the set,
    dgf
  • Options
    Hadn't realized Joe Schultz didn't last long as Pilots manager.
    Guess he was too busy "pounding the Budweiser"

A lot of very red faced Bristols in 1967
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff
  • Options

Thanks, downgoesfrazier. 300+ cards are actually from my childhood. I bought some others.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Check out ebay auction # 5185682782 and # 5186898079. Seller has a bunch of 1970 uncut panels from the first series.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    jmoran19,

NEAT. Were those panels cut from a full sheet?
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Yes I believe so. He also had a series 3 panel with Clemente last week. I've been collecting photos of 1970 uncut sheets for some time, pm your email address and I'll email them to ya. John.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've got a bunch of '70 uncut panels and sheets. They are exactly the same paper stock as the regular cards.
    I either own or have seen uncut panels and partial sheets from every Topps and Bowman regular set, and many of the oddball sets. They certainly exist, and Robert Edward Auctions has a lot of them up right now.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Anybody see the Mays 10 on ebay. Went for $9000 BIN.

Nice looking card, but not that nice!!!!!!!

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    NUTS
  • Options
    If anyone has a 1970 Luis Tiant PSA 9 (or strong lookin' 8), I'd be interested in purchasing it. Drop me a PM here on the boards or e-mail me at SCMAuctions@aol.com

Thanks!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I need a little help understanding the weighing on one card. Why is the Hoyt Wilhelm card only a 1. Being a Hof'er wouldn't you expect it to at least be a 2.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

you brought up a 10 year old thread to pimp your $20 auction?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Griffins said:
    you brought up a 10 year old thread to pimp your $20 auction?

sorry , i thought this was a 1970 topps thread , shameless plug..... i know .. but the card needs a new home since i upgraded, again my sincere apologies

• Options

Looking for 1970 Topps Baseball PSA 8 commons