Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Finest Set of Lincolns Ever Auctioned

The Finest Set of Lincolns Ever Auctioned

Heritage will present the finest set of Lincoln Cents ever offered at auction in the Official Auction at the Central States Numismatic Society Convention, May 4-7 in St. Louis.

Consignor Tom Mershon pursued the finest coins in the most popular series in American numismatics. His collection of Lincoln Wheat Cents ranks on the PCGS Registry as the #2 All-Time Finest Lincoln Cents Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1909-1958) and the #2 All-Time Finest Lincoln Cents with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1909-1958). This is an incredible achievement, especially in a series with such widespread demand!

According to Mr. Mershon, he started collecting Lincoln Cents as a "young boy, enjoying filling the holes in my Whitman Album. I would write the prices of the pieces I couldn't afford in the empty album holes; I can remember writing $75 for an S-VDB in Uncirculated condition. Many years later when I was able to afford high quality coins, I fulfilled my quest to 'fill those holes' - of course, certification has changed the dynamics and the best sets are now encapsulated!"

Mr. Mershon has been a plastering contractor for nearly three decades, employing up to 300 employees on jobs from Southern California to Sacramento. In addition to his coins, Mr. Mershon enjoys golf (a 12.7 index), fishing and boating, riding his Harley Heritage, and restoring his blue-ribbon classic Corvette to showroom condition.

Highlights from the Mershon Registry Collection include:

1909-S V.D.B. MS67 Red PCGS
1911 MS67 Red PCGS
1911-S MS66 Red PCGS
1912 MS67 Red PCGS
1913-D MS66 Red PCGS
1914 MS67 Red PCGS
1914-D MS65 Red PCGS
1915 MS67 Red PCGS
1915-S MS66 Red PCGS
1916-D MS66 Red PCGS
1917 Doubled Die MS66 Red PCGS
1917-S MS65 Red PCGS
1918-D MS66 Red PCGS
1920-S MS65 Red PCGS
1921 MS68 Red PCGS
1922 No D Strong Reverse MS64 RB PCGS
1924-S MS65 Red PCGS
1925-S MS65 Red PCGS
1928-S MS66 Red PCGS
1955 Doubled Die, MS65 Red PCGS

The Central States Numismatic Society Signature Auction can be previewed at HeritageCoins.com. Internet bidding will begin in mid-April.

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    According to Mr. Mershon, he started collecting Lincoln Cents as a "young boy, enjoying filling the holes in my Whitman Album. I would write the prices of the pieces I couldn't afford in the empty album holes; I can remember writing $75 for an S-VDB in Uncirculated condition. Many years later when I was able to afford high quality coins, I fulfilled my quest to 'fill those holes' - of course, certification has changed the dynamics and the best sets are now encapsulated!"

Just goes to show how we could help shape the collectors of tomorrow by doing something as simple as giving someone a Whitman Album and telling them to fill the holes. It goes to show, too, you don't need to have the best to start your collection, but you may someday end up with the best.

Another great story, like that of JHF.

This is what the hobby is all about!!!

Dan
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    All I can say is wow!
    imageimage
    Image courtesy of Heritage.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Great threadimage
    I'm always interested in what these guys do for a living and how they got to where they are.
    I'm curious how long this set took to assemble.
  • Options
    imageWOW Thanks for the GREAT POST and Link to the AWESOME Lincoln's of Tom's Really great to see some Beautiful Lincolns in Super High Grades. I wish more of the Registry Sets would display their coins to be able to compare to other sets. I have every one of my Lincolns Photo's displayed in my registry sets of 1909-1958 Lincoln W/Varieties and 1959-Present Memorials W/Varieties and my Red White and Blue in ONE Per Year Set. They may not be as Highly Graded but I'm proud of my accomplishment in the fact that I've done this set in less than 5 years on my own accomplishment and my many travels around the country, and the many e-bay purchase of many of the Board members and other dealers around the country. image My Best Purchase My Top Pop only one none higher MS-64 RED 1922-D Weak-D is also Listed in this Central States Sale. For all you Lincoln Lovers on the Board watch and enjoy a Great Set go out BLAZING as they are truly Blazing Beauties.image
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Dan
  • Options

haletj,

That 28-S is a beaut. I've seen it in hand. Of the coins brought to the FUN show by Mike Sadler and Heritage, that was Mike's #1 pick. Bidding on the 28-S will be exciting, not that I will be involved, however. I'm sure there are several of the Big Hitters lining up to take a few swings at it!!

Jack