Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

18th Century

Hey guys,

Simple question...I'm looking for a series of coins (any series) from the 1700's (the earlier the better) that are "relatively" inexpensive in Mint State grades. I really don't even know if there are any. Most of what I see from this era all go for moon money even in low grades.

Comments

• Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Hungarian deniers of the 16th century can be had in uncirculated grades for around $40 - if you can find them. They're crudely made so keep that in mind when looking for one.

Here's an example:

-JamminJ
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not collect the 18th century coins in circulated grades? It's the G-F stuff that is grossly undervalued, particularly the British and French coppers and the Spanish Colonial silver.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You make a good and valid point my lord but there is just something about having a coin that old and also is in great condition that is almost magical to me. Does that make any sense? lol
  • Options
    Maybe you should look at some conders. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    18th century Chinese and Korean coins are pretty cheap in high grades.
  • Options
    Spinaker: I'm embarrased to even ask this question but what exactly is a "Condor"? I've seen many posted here but don't really understand what they are...

Sumnom: Thanks, I'm gonna check them out and see if they ring my bell image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Chinese and Korean cash is an acquired taste. I used find it all terribly dull but I got over thatimage
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    Link doesn't work for me...image
  • Options
    Text

Try this one
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Think about British coppers from the 1700s, the later George III stuff can be found for a few hundred dollars a pop.

Maundy coins might also be something to consider.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Great info Boz! Are these Condors all roughly the same size and what size would that be? Also, do they fit in the "relatively inexpensive" realm lol?
  • Options
    Halfpennys are 28- 29 mm. The pennys are larger 33-34 mm and very thick. Nice common ones can be found for $40 on up. Unc and proofs can be slightly more expensive on up to the $1000 range and higher for the rarer ones.
    Measurements are approximate, as sizes do vary, but close to the range.
    Do a search on eBay. Sometimes there are some decent ones. It'll give you an idea anyway.