Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Superior Sports Auction

What did you think?
I love candy cards

Comments

• Options
    Other than Dimitri Young's cards, not a whole lot to get excited about.
  • Options
    Were Youngs cards all GAI graded? It seems like some of that material sold well. Is he getting out of the hobby?
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I thought football cards did quite well - vintage to modern.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    i wasnt enthused.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options

<< <i>Other than Dimitri Young's cards, not a whole lot to get excited about. >>

Did he sell his collection?
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    1974 Bill Walton Rookie card in PSA 9 went for $810.00!!!!! What the heck is that all about? With the occasional exception, they go on eBay for $300 to $400 all the time.
  • Options

<< <i>Did he sell his collection? >>

I don't know the story, but I saw his pedigree on the holders, and knew he collected gem mint rookie cards.

Geez, didn't even realized the auction ended.

And no Mastro catalogue for me todayimage
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1974 Bill Walton Rookie card in PSA 9 went for $810.00!!!!! What the heck is that all about? With the occasional exception, they go on eBay for $300 to $400 all the time. >>

Why collectors choose to pay multiple times as much for cards,
    by buying them thru the big auction houses, remains one of the great unsolved mysteries of the hobby.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Do you think Dimitri was happ with his 1969 Alcindor GAI 10 perfect? Hammer price was $6153. I think that was a great deal considering the same card in a psa holder would sell for at least double that. Do you think the card was legitimately graded?
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    I won a few of those auctions. How can you tell which cards came from Dmitri Young? And how is he well known to be a card collector? Any articles. Pretty cool!

Here are some of the cards I bought with the prices I paid (including the 15% premium). Which cards did I pay too much, and which ones did I get a bargain on?

1955 Mays PSA 8 1495
    1963 Mays PSA 9 1840 (GAI 9.5 went for the same amount...I generally think GAI pricing should be half grade lower, i.e. 9.5 = 9, but not sure ... thoughts?)
    1972 Mays PSA 9 358
    1972 Aaron PSA 9 782
    1982 Lawrence Taylor GAI 10 529
    1983 Marcus Allen PSA 10 309
    1986 Rice PSA 10 2588
    1974 #5 Aaron PSA 10 776 (Pop = 1)
  • Options
    I also had an experience that I am wondering about. I'm going to ask them at some point, probably before I pay for my winning bids...but thought I'd get some thoughts here first.

At 7:05Pm eastern on the date of the auction, I was the high bidder on the 1971 Munson GAI 9 at 1800, my max bid was 2050. The PSA pop in 9s is only 1, so I was willing to pay for this (bad price?). Since it was 5 minutes past the auction, I figured I won it. However, the morning after, I noticed I was not the winner, and that someone had won it with a 2150 bid (after buyers fee 2473). It ticked me off. But then after reading some of the info on the Mastro auction, I noticed Mastro mentioned they have a 10 minute rule...where losing bidders can call in and outbid the current high bidder after the auction has ended....but I don't see similar rules on Superior Sports.

As I said, I'm going to ask them about it. I'm not going to make too big of a stink, because its tough for me to have any recourse even if I was right (records can be doctored of course). But I wanted to hear if I got screwed, if it was within their rules, or any other opinions.
  • Options
    I love candy cards
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i> It ticked me off. But then after reading some of the info on the Mastro auction, I noticed Mastro mentioned they have a 10 minute rule...where losing bidders can call in and outbid the current high bidder after the auction has ended....but I don't see similar rules on Superior Sports. >>

I thought the auction was to close at 7:00 PST sharp with no ten minute rule in effect.
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Kenny:

Superior did call backs after 7 PM PST to bidders that requested them. You were eligible for a callback if your auction was over $1000 and if you were the high bidder when you requested the callback. I was high bidder on a card when internet bidding closed and was outbid later on thru a callback. Superior called me to see if I wanted to top the new bid, but I was at my max. Hope this helps.

spacktrack
  • Options
    thanks spacktrack. I thought that may very well have happened. Next time I will make sure to be on the callback list.

• Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    (you saved money)
    enjoy the cards
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    I had no idea the 10 minute rule was available. I went into the auction I wanted a few minutes after 7:00 to find out I was outbid. It was a 2k auction that I would have gone to the next bid, but I did not think I had that choice. This was a very poor auction in terms of what it had to offer and how it was run.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    The callback rule was very confusing. I placed a bid over the phone with a few hours to go and asked for a callback. Item was $1000+ and I was high bidder. I was told that if I was outbid I would be called and asked to go higher. I was under the impression that the callback would come at any point before 7 PM PST. I logged in at about 6:30 PST and saw that I was outbid and couldn't believe I hadn't been called. I upped the bid to my max and was very surprised when my phone rang at 8:15 PST to ask if I wanted to bid again.

That gives you an idea of how late they were calling. A full 75 minutes after bidding closed. Had I known that callbacks were done after the auction closed, I would not have stressed about having to bid to my max with 15-30 minutes to go. I would have waited until the call and not gotten into an early bidding war.

Live and learn.