Medieval or copy?

French, very thin:
imageimage
Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile

Comments

• Options
    looks too suspiciously round to be authentic. Appears to be a copy of a British 'Tealby' penny of 1154-89. These are normally
    very raggedy-shaped and most of the time not fully struck
  • Options
    on the other hand, the workmanship looks very true to the originals--- who knows, maybe an exceptionally-struck authentic piece.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Hard to say from that pic. The French and Germans have been know to make modern copies of older, historical coins which are not marked as copies. Shouldn't be so shiny if original ... does it show signs of cleaning? If not, I'd be suspicious.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!
    The pics are from someone trying to find out more about what they have. I don't collect them myself. I thought it was of French origin because of 'Henri' instead of 'Henry' in the legend. They did say that it was very thin like the old Ottoman billon coins.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    tbirde, it's a "Tealby" penny like Coachleonard said. It does look too well struck for a tealby but the letters
    and such look dead on. Do you know what it weighs?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough call. There is something about the lettering I do not like, even though I know the lettering can be pretty crude on originals.

I can't tell from that picture.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I've only seen a couple of them and don't own any. From what I remember though the letters were a little more "crowded" on what I've seen, but they were very thin coins. I think some of the other specialty folks can tell you better.
    "Any fool can use Power, but it is our wits that make us men."

Collecting Penguins, Named Ship Coins and other assorted goodies

Looking for Circulated coins of Papua New Guinea

stores.ebay.com/Grumpy's-Cave
  • Options
    I do think it's more than likely a fake, but I did a search and do think it's possible. There is a lot of variation in the letters on these.
  • Options
    Looks too round and too centered.
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    No question in my mind that is a modern copy.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713

<< <i>I thought it was of French origin because of 'Henri' instead of 'Henry' in the legend. >>

Well, the Normans were Frenchified Norsemen from Normandy -- and we're talking about a period only a century after Hastings.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options

I've had some good results sending suspicious world coins to ANACS for slabbing and authentication. If you don't like to slab your world coins, you can always crack it back out image.
    Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.