Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Wich foreign proofsets have the worst damaging packaging

Question wich countries proof sets are often damaged due to the packaging used by the mint?

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Any that are encased in PVC, Some major ones come to mind, as I own them, are the Dahomey and Albania sets.
  • Options
    The special mint sets from South Africa - specifically the sets from the 60's all hazed/darkened/wrecked the coins contained in them - very hard to find any of those coins in clean high grades
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch out for some of the older Japanese ones too. I can't remember when they switched (Roy knows!) to the safer materials, but I have one set (my dear, sweet husband bought me as a suprise present from Tokyo) that has the most amazing green coins inside. I stuck it in a drawer and periodically run across it and cringe.

Are you talking about the 1969 ish Albania set? I have one of those, but didn't spot any PVC. Maybe I should go take them out of the packaging anyway??

Cathy

• Options

<< <i> Watch out for some of the older Japanese ones too. I can't remember when they switched (Roy knows!) to the safer materials, but I have one set (my dear, sweet husband bought me as a suprise present from Tokyo) that has the most amazing green coins inside. I stuck it in a drawer and periodically run across it and cringe. >>

Actually, since I don't collect proof sets I'm not absolutely sure about the Japanese holders, but I believe they have always used the crystal-clear plastic (polystyrene?) for proof sets since they started making them in 1987.

For mint sets from 1969 through 1983 they used a PVC folder. For some unknown reason, the coins in some sets get very green and slimy, while others are relatively untouched, but none of them are safe. The first year for the hard plastic cases was 1984, a few years before the start of proof sets.
    Roy

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I was thinking of the mint sets, not the proof sets...silly me! Okay, I have a bright green mint set, not a proof set. I don't usually collect the sets (I do admit to having an AstroBoy mint set...) and I REALLY hate looking at that little group of coins!

Cathy

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The only flips I can buy here in Korea are PVC!image I have my own flips from the states.
  • Options
    Are 1965 Austrian proof sets known for damaging pacaging?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Irish mint sets in their cute little green envelopes (often assembled with coins from different years in the pockets), are pretty notorious.

The PVC in them is so bad that even after thirty years or so, they still smell like a new shower curtain, sometimes.

I got a French mint set once that was also in really PVC-infested pouches- this time fully sealed, unlike the Irish sets which are open at the top like a flip is.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Have seen a San Marino set that appeared to be stored in PVC ... tho' the coins still looked fairly clean.

Steve
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1955 and 1963 proof sets from Cyprus in their green cases. Coins are loose and show many problems, especially the bronze ones.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are 1965 Austrian proof sets known for damaging pacaging? >>

The four-coin sets come loose in velvet-lined cases and tone up pretty nicely. The problem with the sets that are packaged loose, though, is the coins get bumped around and damaged.

Here are some foreign proof sets with PVC packaging:

France -- these are really bad -- it's hard to find undamaged coins.
    Japan -- ditto
    Italy -- not so bad, and sometimes the coins tone nicely

• Options
    Alot of the Franklin mint Panama proof sets seem to have a fair amount of hazing.

Steve
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those fancy boxes that the Franklin Mint used will suddenly disintegrate given a long
    enough time. The fake felt inside liquifies and will ruin the coins if they have been re-
    moved from the plastic.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    bumping this thread to ask a question. Are there any current PS or MS which have packaging problems ? As for the original subect, Spanish PFsets from the 70s have bad plastic holders.

researching the"distinctive paper" LS SS Fracs and even bonds" most notably from the Wilcox era 1869-80
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1965 Greek proof set is a another example with bad packaging. The so called original package is a soft PVC case with poor presentation and some sort of official royal seal. Opt for the nice Capital clear lucite holder instead, it's as original as the other one claims to be. Mintage is double than Krause's figure.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>The Irish mint sets in their cute little green envelopes (often assembled with coins from different years in the pockets), are pretty notorious.

The PVC in them is so bad that even after thirty years or so, they still smell like a new shower curtain, sometimes.

I got a French mint set once that was also in really PVC-infested pouches- this time fully sealed, unlike the Irish sets which are open at the top like a flip is. >>

You took the words out of my mouth regarding the Irish sets from the 60's and 70's. I have seen some awesome coins in them just plain ruined.image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is wise to suspect just about all these sets until you know otherwise.

The '65 Austrian set does tend to be bad but there are a few good ones.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    THe French sets from the 60s also are in PVC holders.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Conversely, I think the best made proof set is Australia's fine silver proof set. Each coin is individually encased. They even wipe the dies with alcohol after each coin is struck. They can do this when they only make 6500 sets each year. It comes in an authentic wood case, which each year varies (i.e. Jarrah, Tasmanian silver oak, etc). They started making them in 2003 and I have a set for year, plus an extra 2003 set. If you ever have a chance to see one, you'll then see how proof sets should be made.
  • Options
    Russia too had issues with well, BU coins, especially the early days of trying to pack them into plastic films.

Now see the "beautiful" fingerprint.
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    So far it seems recent sets are doing better packagewise. Over time problems may develop.. I collect proof sets by type and don''t include FM issues.. As a result the largest group I own is from the BRM. I notiice that there is more often toning in their hard plastic cases then there is wiith other mint's post ((US or austll for example)1970 cases. One other set deserves mention; the best open jewelbox set I own is a Swiss set from the 70s. The coins still look perfect.
    researching the"distinctive paper" LS SS Fracs and even bonds" most notably from the Wilcox era 1869-80
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a 1973 Bahama Islands proof set and I have to say that I have never seen worse packaging. The individual coins are in no way protected from the elements. There is no encapsulation, nor even simply plastic over it. All of the silver coins are now green.

2Kopeiki.

EDIT: oops, nevermind image I checked e-bay and it looks like the original set had plastic over the coins. Someone removed it in my case...