Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Who's up for starting a FB Roosie club?

StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
There are several coin clubs around ie: the E.A.C. (Early American Coppers), the Full Steps Club for Nickels and so on, but we roosie guys don't have one yet.

How about the Full Bands Roosie club? We could have News letters and Nick Cascio could be our President.

Any thoughts?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a great idea and I regret not having the energy to contribute.

I will certainly join though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    PCGS gave me a free SAE for joining. Does this mean I get a MS69FB Roosie when I join this club?? image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS gave me a free SAE for joining. Does this mean I get a MS69FB Roosie when I join this club?? image >>

Dan50, what a marvelous idea! image Nick will be our Prez. and he said that he has 5 so the first 5 guys to join could get one FREE.

See how easy this could be!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    I'm In, Nick would be an excellent choice, and Mitch can be the contributing editor ( that means whatever we can't get for Nick, Mitch will need to supply)image All jokes aside I really think thats great maybe we could all meet at F.U.N. and bring our favorite Roosies. Fred
  • Options
    Great idea Paul.. Maybe we can sell him on the idea that by us trading in our MS68FB's to him, he's only losing 1 point per coin. People have paid much more to be elected president. image
    Dan
  • Options
    I like the idea. I've learned a good bit from the Full Step Jefferson Club, and I'm sure I'll learn as much or more from the Full Band Roosie Club. Count me in.

Best wishes from Bangkok,

Just Having Fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Nick for Prez, Nick for Prez !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Hey, No word yet from our two club officer nominees!!
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been in bed for 3 days with the flu. Paul thanks for the very kind words and
    nomination but I have to regretfully decline. I just would not be able to commit
    the extra time right now. I think Mitch would be a much better choice and would
    give it much more time then I could. He is far more knowledgeable then I when
    it comes to the full split band on a Roosie. I did notice a couple other threads
    he is posting to so he may be a little tied up at the moment to reply.

Back to bed for me. Everyone have a wonderful holiday weekend. I'll be back on
    the boards on Monday.

Nick
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be happy to contribute to a Roosie Dime Club. That is a cool idea. Since Nick is out in CA as I am, perhaps a quick organizational meeting at the June, Long Beach show might make sense (perhaps followed by an additional meeting at 1/06 FUN? It would also give everyone more time to try to convince Nick to accept that President position

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be happy to contribute to a Roosie Dime Club. That is a cool idea. Since Nick is out in CA as I am, perhaps a quick organizational meeting at the June, Long Beach show might make sense (perhaps followed by an additional meeting at 1/06 FUN? It would also give everyone more time to try to convince Nick to accept that President position

Wondercoin image >>

Very cool. This could be a lot of fun.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    NICK NICK NICK!!!!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Nick, sorry to hear that you have the flu. Try to drink plenty of clear fluids and broth. Thats pretty much what you will be able to keep down. Also keep thinking of those Roosies and it will get your mind off of being sick! image

Besides just a meeting 1-2 x's a year, we could have a monthly newsletter.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    "Besides just a meeting 1-2 x's a year, we could have a monthly newsletter."

Paul: I agree. My only point in mentioning the 6/05 meeting following by the 1/06 meeting is that Mistercoinman (Fred)mentioned FUN 06 as a possible meeting spot. I just wanted to point out that the concept could get off the ground well before that date (perhaps as early as 6/05 Long Beach) and many of us could still do as Fred suggests.

Obviously, the club could meet at every major show throughout the year, if it wanted to as well.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I like it!
    Craig
  • Options
    I really like the monthly news letter idea. We could all contribute something. We could all be assigned a part to explore and report our findings.

Mitch,

I mentioned fun only because I live in the northeastern part of the country and very rarely have the opportuinty to travel to the west coast. Sounds like fun!! Fred
  • Options
    Did you read the Q&A post to David Hall from Paul? He liked the idea also, esp. the newsletter. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Dear Roosie collectors,

I am very interested in starting a newsletter and I am looking into starting one soon. It may be bi-monthly, but nothing is certain for now. I would like to make plans now though for all of us to meet at the 2006 F.U.N. convention in Florida in Jan. of 06' and poosibly get Mr. David Hall and or Mr. Steve Heller to come and speak at our first annual meeting.

First thing first...We need to come up with a name...any suggestions?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why limit it to FB's?

PAK didn't limit itself to FS's, and it did just fine.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Paul: Steve Heller does not attend coin shows. But, perhaps "Rainbowroosie" would like to speak on collecting beautifully toned Roosies? If I was going to attend FUN, that would be an event I would not want to miss! And, I agree that any Roosie Club should include FB and non-FB coins as well.

Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Dear Ones:

This started as the FB Roosie club, and even though I personally am not enamored that much with the designation, there's no doubt in my mind that Full Bands is one of the real hot buttons for Roosie collectors. And it's certainly what made the club sound interesting to me.

I joined the Full Steps Jefferson Nickel Club and look forward eagerly to their magazines. If I were in the states at the right time, I would even attend meetings. But I would never have joined if it were merely the Jefferson Nickel Club which, if truth be told, sounds like a schnorrer. As does the Roosie Club.

It's the Full Steps that makes the Jefferson Nickel Club interesting and ditto for the FB Roosie Club.

So in my opinion, if you want to make the FB Roosie Club work, you have to retain the clarity of vision that Stooge brought to it in the first place, i.e., the FB Roosie Club.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
  • Options
    "But, perhaps "Rainbowroosie" would like to speak on collecting beautifully toned Roosies?'

Maybe Wondercoin should also add his "two cents" on collecting great toned roosies....I think he's seen a few of the great ones over the years!!....FUN is always the best place for me!image Especially when Nick buys dinner...this year, Victoria's and Albert's at Disney...Nick, bring your suit and that platinum mastercard!!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    I also like the FB Roosey Club name. It does not exclude any true Roosevelt collector, but FB gives real meaning to why the club will even exist. I personally welcome all dime collectors to the club. The name will give it the fortitude it will need to get of the ground. I would like to see some sub-groups like Bands of Color, or the Top Pop Club. I think these are some real areas of interest to the hard core Roosevelt collector. Just some random ideas! Tell me what you think. Fred
  • Options
    Mr. Coinman is right: The name The Full Band Roosie Club gives it focus and bite.

Doesn't anybody remember how dead in the water the Roosies were until PCGS announced that they would start designating "Full Bands"?

That designation was a lightning bolt from above for the Roosies. It energized the existing Roosie collectors and attracted a whole crop of collectors.

So, if you want to keep that power alive -- the power that made Roosies a rollicking, wide-open series to collect -- put it in the name of the club, and let that be the central focus.

And it doesn't have to be exclusionary in the least. Indeed, if Rainbow Roosie, Mr. Wondercoin, Stooge, and Only Roosies want to powwow (or write) about beautifully toned Roosies, I'm sure everybody in the club, myself included, would cheer them on.

Indeed, if you wanted a second club name that has some bite and focus to it, try The Rainbow Roosie Club. That works too, and I'd sign up in a flash.

But the Roosie Club? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Without wanting to disparage knitting, it sounds about as interesting to me as a knitting circle.

Nitey nite guys. It's beddie bye time out here.

Just Having Fun!
  • Options
    "Indeed, if you wanted a second club name that has some bite and focus to it, try The Rainbow Roosie Club. That works too, and I'd sign up in a flash."

Astute comment as usual!image
  • Options
    FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB FB
    Dan
  • Options
    My main goal is to start a Newsletter regarding ALL Roosevelt dimes...Silver/Clad...NON-FB/FB...MS/Proof. Start a Web-site, and have 1-2 meetings a year. Also, If you are a just a dime collector you are welcome!

I would like to retain the FB designation to the club.

I am VERY serious about doing this and would like to get the first Newsletter out sometime this summer, and schedule a meeting. I will be asking for alot of input from ALL OF YOU! We can make this a fun group and have a great time. Please all of you turn on your PM if you havn't already had them on, and I may be contacting you for some scans of dimes, stories, insight, etc.....

Thoughts of a few articles could be an article about toners and one could be about just NON-FB's also, since last time I checked, still no-one had a 100% FB set in the clads.

We could also highlite 1 collector every letter and it could be something along the lines of a short Bio on this person and why He/She collects Roosies.

Skies the limit!

Later, Paul.

P.S. Just Having Fun...The Full Steps Nickels have a Magazine? Can you please elaborate? Maybe I can get some ideas from that.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Dear Stooge: It certainly sounds as if you've done a lot of clear thinking about the magazine. That's a good start right there.

Regarding the Full Stepper magazine, lemme see if I can find one for you. I should have one lying around somewhere.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
  • Options
    Dear Stooge: I hit the jackpot. Found 3 newsletters worth checking out.

-- The publication of the Full-Step Nickel Club is called "The Portico". Overall: Amateurishly produced but nicely edited. The Editor clearly has his eye focused on information that's useful to Full Step collectors.

The issue I have in front of me has a useful article on how to tell a flat from a sharp strike ... An analysis of how the Full Steppers performed at a recent auction ... letters from members ... and an article about off center Jefferson's. Lots and lots of ads, which add interest to the publication.

Address: Box 19090, Burbank, California 91510-0909. Phone number: 818-759-4745. E-address: the endearing FSNC5555@AOL.com Just from the e-address, you know the guys and gals doing this are real enthusiasts, and I relate very well to them. You can join the full-stepper club $25 a year, and the magazine alone makes it a super-duper BARGAIN.

-- The publication of the Barber Coin Collectors Society is called, well "the Journal of the Barber Coin Collectors' Society". Overall, better produced than "The Portico" and almost, but not as well focused editorially.

The issue I have in front of me has some useful information but it's thinner than in the full-stepper publication. For instance, it features on the cover, a picture of the 1894-S that I just bought at the Richmond Sale. But no follow-up information with interesting schtuff about the 1894-S dimes, for which there's a ton of material. And a page-and-a-half of blather to tell me that the Liberty Nickels and Isabella Quarter were also designed by Barber.

But there was also some interesting stuff including a collector's personal memoir, which was the funnest article in the issue ... and an basic but helpful article full of suggestions for selling coins on eBay. Lots of ads bring some spice to the publication. How about an article from Stewart Blay about how he built his great dime collection? I'd love to read that. How about you?

Address: Eileen Ribar, 2053 Edith Pl., Merrick, New York 11566. Phone: 516-379-4681. E-mail: emcrib@optonline.net. Website: http://www.BarberCoins.org Annual dues are $15, and despite my mixed comments about the editorial, it too is a great bargain.

-- The third publication "the Commemorative Trail" is from the Society for U.S. Commemorative Coins. The focus is on the 144 coin set. They had this guy, Ray something, who brought life and pizzazz to the editorial pages. But unfortunately he's gone and the whole publication is a dead zone: Dull and super academic, sort of like a post-doctoral thesis.

I love these coins, but do I really want to read 11 pages of self-congratulatory blather from the president and vice-president etc. of the club, before I come to anything remotely of interest?

The first article, after the gruesome introduction, was about the 1925 lexington-Concord. Well almost about it. Actually it was about the original pine distribution box. Well, no. Actually it was about a counterfeit original pine distribution box. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Another major article was about the Delaware Tercentenary. Well, no, it was actually about a Swedish-issued two Kronor coin loosely associated with the Delaware Tercentenary. Well, no, I got it wrong. It was actually about a box issued for the Swedish two Kronor coin coin loosely associated with the Delaware Terc.

Do you get what I mean about the Commem Trail reading like a post-doctoral thesis? Very sad, since this could be such an interesting publication; I mean ... this has to be the single most varied and interesting set in the country's coinage, but the publication totally lacks the joy and fun of collecting.

Address: Box 2335, Huntington Beach, California 92647. e-address: beedon@earthlink.net. Telephone: 714-963-6138. Annual dues: $20 a year.

Stooge: I hope this helps. And if you'd like me to send you my copies, pm a snail-mail address to me.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
  • Options
    Paul, count me in. I'd be happy to contribute both photos and content. I'm still a novice Rosy collector (compared to gnarly old rainbowroosie) but I enjoy the series and would be happy to help out as needed. Quite a few of the rosy guys are on the Left Coast so a face-to-face get together at Long Beach in a couple of months is a great idea. Oh, and myPM is ALWAYS turned on! image

My latest Rosy Purchase, a nice blue 1954P NGC MS67* (I love that Blue):

Craig
  • Options
    Today is a sad day, another top Roosey set is gone forever. This set to me was the and will be the best clad Roosevelt set ever created. My reasoning for this is that this collector put his heart and soul into the roosevelt dime clad series and made most of the really tough full band coins. Rick I sulute you for a job well done and hope someday you will return to the series. Fred
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    Fred, Rick's set is now at number 13. Looks like he removed a few coins from his set and now
    its dropped down a few places. Maybe you can pick up that 2004P 68FB you need from Rick....image

Nick
  • Options
    I am in for meeting at LB.

Let me know the details.

Butch
  • Options
    Paul, another feature could be FB rarity rankings in an easy to read format.

And a chart of FB pops. ala R&I Coins newsletter/price list.

And, maybe, a reward/contest akin to Max Mehl's idea. Something along these lines:

"$10,000 reward for a 1970-P 10¢ in PCGS MS68FB!" (of course, old moneybags himself [Rainbowroosie], would generously donate the reward money should someone actually collect the reward)image
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    No, you have me confused with the real moneybags ---- Onlyroosies -----image
  • Options
    I must admit $10,000. is not a bad downpayment for that coin. image
    Dan