Home PSA Set Registry Forum

52 Topps variation? Error?

Hello, folks. I was going through my 1952 Topps cards, and found these two Ray Scarborough cards. Has anyone ever seen this? Thoughts? Ideas? Comments? Both of these cards are black backed, PSA 8s.

Doug
"I saw Jacques Cousteau at the grocery store in L.A. once & I watched to see what he would buy, but he only got corn chips & some shoelaces & I don't know what I expected, but I would've settled for a can of chunk light tuna even. "
Brian Andreas

Comments

• Doug:

I have 3 of these cards and all 3 have slightly different background colors - 2 of mine are similar to yours.

I am looking for PSA 7 1952 Topps - let me know if you have any.

email
  • I don't know 52 Topps baseball from shinola (I'm a football guy), but they do look like 2 distinct background color variations. If the colors on my monitor are right, the left one looks like it's orange and the right yellow? I'm willing to bet (not literally) that if you look at the backround under magnification, you will see yellow and red dots on the left card, and only yellow on the right card. And since the red appears to be intact in every other part of each card, this would tell me that at some time during printing, they changed the background color from orange to yellow, or vice versa. But why is what I wanna know.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Doug- There are 5 color variation cards (42,43,55,80, and 162). My 52 TOPPS Master Set is in the PSA Registry and has scans of the variations. Ron Hobbs, Tallahassee, Fl
    TWINRON
  • Ron,
    Just curious, do you have the third (131-190) series greybacks as well.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There are also two variations of card 56, Glaviano. In one the triangle on the fromt in yellow and in the other it is white. The white one I have is a black back. The yellow is a red back. I don't know if that hols true as a general principle
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Dear Minn. Sports Fan. Absolutly NOT. Just the 500 as listed in my Registry Preface. Ron
    TWINRON
  • Dear "bishop". It is my understanding that all Red backs for #56 have the yellow triangle and all Black backs have the white triangle. Therefore, the red or black backs define the variation, unless someone shows up with a white triangle Red back or a yellow triangle Black back. Ron
    TWINRON