Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Free gradings for registry sets?

Free gradings for registry sets.
PCGS says "for raw or crossover submissions" but can PCGS coins be submitted for regrade?

Comments

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Call PCGS customer service and find out! Let us know.......
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

What's going on?? What are you saying/where are you reading this, and what is the context? image

Link please image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    When you are 90% complete with a set you get some free gradings to do with as you please. Is this what you mean?
  • Options

Found it. See below:

------------
    # Free Grading. We recognize that not every coin in every important collection has been graded by PCGS. In order to encourage participation in the PCGS Set RegistrySM program we are offering the following free grading benefits for sets that reach 90% completion:

* If the set composition is 1-9 coins you are entitled to 1 free grading.
    * If the set composition is 10-24 coins you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
    * If the set composition is 25-49 coins you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
    * If the set composition is 50-99 coins you are entitled to 4 free gradings.
    * If the set composition is 100+ coins you are entitled to 5 free gradings.

Free gradings are for coins within the set that has reached 90% completion. You should request your free gradings with the intent to either add or upgrade your set with the coins that are being graded for free. You cannot submit the same coin twice for free grades. All coins must be submitted at one time. If your set has reached 90% complete and you have not previously received free grading for this set, please contact setregistry@collectors.com for an authorization code. No free gradings will be permitted without an authorization code, so be sure to write the number down on the top of your submission form. It is your responsibility to pay for postage and insurance. These free submissions are for coins within your set that are either "raw" or graded by another grading service that you would like to "crossover."
    ---------

Man I qualify yet just sent in 2 coins and paid for them...urghh! Oh well, the next order I'll save up four and submit the freebie image
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder about the free gradings.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    Wow!!! Thanks for the info!!! That's one of the many things I like about these boards.........
    RAD
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used my free gradings for one set on regrades. (went 2-3)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    How do you get the 1 free grade if the registry set has under 10 coins? You can only use it for an upgrade?

<< <i>Found it. See below:

------------
    # Free Grading. We recognize that not every coin in every important collection has been graded by PCGS. In order to encourage participation in the PCGS Set RegistrySM program we are offering the following free grading benefits for sets that reach 90% completion:

Free gradings are for coins within the set that has reached 90% completion. >>

• Options

You need to call Customer Service and ask them for a special code, which they will give you, and you need to put it on the submission form. You still have to pay postage/insurance there and back.

Also, the "in play" coins are ONLY raw or cross-over coins that are missing from your set or could potentially upgrade your set. Re-grades are not in play.
  • Options

<< <i>Also, the "in play" coins are ONLY raw or cross-over coins that are missing from your set or could potentially upgrade your set. Re-grades are not in play. >>

Not true. You can use your free gradings for regrades of PCGS coins. I have done so on numerous occassions.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    These free submissions are for coins within your set that are either "raw" or graded by another grading service that you would like to "crossover."

Do they then not hold fast to the above policy?image
  • Options
    I guess not.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a better question would be how a set can be 90% complete if there are less than 10 coins in it. PCGS math?
  • Options
    If it's a less than 10 coin set, it will not be eligible for freebies until the set is 100% complete.

Example: If it's a 9 coin set, and you only have 8 of the 9, your set will only be 89% complete.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    sonofagunksonofagunk Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    So can I get 5 free for my 99% lincoln set wheats and 5 for my 91% lincoln wheats with varieties even though the two sets have all of the exact same coins (i.e. I have 0 varieties)?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it make more sense to ask PCGS directly? In fact, I would ask two or three times to different people. I might also ask David on the Q & A some Tuesday. I personally believe that if you have both the Lincoln basic registry and the Lincoln variety registry and they are both 90% complete, you can get the freebees for each of them. But the freebees can only be used for the registry for which they are intended. JMHO which doesn't mean anything unless PCGS agrees. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>So can I get 5 free for my 99% lincoln set wheats and 5 for my 91% lincoln wheats with varieties even though the two sets have all of the exact same coins (i.e. I have 0 varieties)? >>

I am fairly sure that is correct. And don't even think about calling me a Customer Service wannabe.image
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok how many free can I get for these sets.
    State quarters circulation strikes. 1999 to present
    Clad Washingtons. 1965 to 1998
    Silver Washingtons 1932 to 1964
    Washington quarters date set 1932 to presnt.
    Washington quarters basic set 1932 to present.
    Think I need to looking at some more coins that may not be PCGS holders to finish and work in some uprgades here.

• Options
    So the idea would be to build a set with lesser grade PCGS coins and then maybe get NGC coins sent in for a free grading ?
  • Options
    I have submitted the question to David on the Q&A Forum.
    Will keep you posted...
  • Options

<< <i>So can I get 5 free for my 99% lincoln set wheats and 5 for my 91% lincoln wheats with varieties even though the two sets have all of the exact same coins (i.e. I have 0 varieties)? >>

Absolutely.
  • Options
    Do you have to be a collector's club member to submit for these free gradings?
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options
    yes
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>I have submitted the question to David on the Q&A Forum.
    Will keep you posted... >>

No reply from David this week.
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    I have a complete set of $ ms modern commems, 53 coins. Emailed PCGS with this question.

When the Marshall come out could I send in 5 (Marshalls) and get 4 free? They said that would work and gave me a number to put on my submission.
  • Options
    mademanmademan Posts: 431 ✭✭
    Are you sure you have to be a Collectors Club member to get free gradings- I read nothing like that under the benefits section- just that if you are a registry set owner and get 90% complete you are entitled to the free gradings- I am at 89& on one of my sets and not a Collector Club member. If anyone knows forsure let me know. thanks Don/MM
  • Options
    You do have to pay the $50 for the year membership to the Collectors Club to get the free submissions. I'm waiting till I have my moderns(marshalls and marines) and 5+ crossovers before joining up. That would be Aug/Sept.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Folks, everybody makes their own interpretation of what PCGS means by free grading on registry sets. The only way you can get free grading is to get a code for your invoice. The only way you can get that code is to contact PCGS. Until you have what you believe to be 90%, it doesn't matter. Remember, nobody gives you something for free without you giving them something back in return. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    mademanmademan Posts: 431 ✭✭
    I emailed PCGS and the the definative word that you DO NOT have to be a member of the Collectors Club to get the free gradings--this is per Juliet Martieez at PCGS--Don M/M
  • Options
    Mademan, Thanks for clearing up the part about not having to join to get the free submissions.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found it. See below:

------------

* If the set composition is 10-24 coins you are entitled to 2 free gradings.
    * If the set composition is 25-49 coins you are entitled to 3 free gradings.
    * If the set composition is 50-99 coins you are entitled to 4 free gradings.
    * If the set composition is 100+ coins you are entitled to 5 free gradings.

Free gradings are for coins within the set that has reached 90% completion. You should request your free gradings with the intent to either add or upgrade your set with the coins that are being graded for free. You cannot submit the same coin twice for free grades. All coins must be submitted at one time.
    If your set has reached 90% complete and you have not previously received free grading for this set, please contact setregistry@collectors.com for an authorization code. No free gradings will be permitted without an authorization code, so be sure to write the number down on the top of your submission form. It is your responsibility to pay for postage and insurance. These free submissions are for coins within your set that are either "raw" or graded by another grading service that you would like to "crossover."
    ---------

Man I qualify yet just sent in 2 coins and paid for them...urghh! Oh well, the next order I'll save up four and submit the freebie image >>

All coins must be submitted at one time.

This sounds like you have to use up all your freebies in one submission/mailing. If that's the case and we all know how time consuming it can be locating those last few 1 to 10 coins to complete a set/collection or find any upgrades, it appears that very few people would ever get to use their freebies! lol

And there does seem to be a little confusion with * If the set composition is 1-9 coins you are entitled to 1 free grading.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Leo, not true! I have submitted 8 different sets of free gradings!

When they say "all coins need to be submitted at the same time" PCGS means all the coins from one set.
    If you have freebies coming for Morgans, Peace & Ike's you don't have to send all those in at once, but you do have to send all the Morgans at once, or all the Peace at one shot, or all the Ike's.

The down side to that is if you have all the coins you want to submit, you CANNOT send them in together.
    I had to send 7 DIFFERENT submissions, paying 7 different shipping charges when I sent them in TOGETHER, and recieved them seperately but on the same day! That kind of hurts, my 'freebies' cost over $90 in shipping.

Also got a 'friendly' reminder that I shouldn't include crossovers with regular grading, but how should this be done if these have to be shipped together & they allow regular grading & crossovers to be freebies?
  • Options
    but you do have to send all the Morgans at once, or all the Peace at one shot, or all the Ike's.

Hi
    I was referring to the freebies received from one set but it's the same for each set. Like you said, you would need to send all the Morgans at once, or all the Peace at one shot, or all the Ike's. But the other problem I wanted to point out, since the last 10% of coins needed for many collections are usually the most difficult to locate, unless you are throwing together a modern set with no regards to quality and anything will do to fill the grid, many of the serious collections may never get completed so I can see some folks left holding the bag on these freebies.

Leo

• Options

<< <i>... many of the serious collections may never get completed so I can see some folks left holding the bag on these freebies.

Leo >>

and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Leo, you may be right, the last 10% might be the most difficult (read expensive) to acquire, but the fact that you can buy some these raw, thereby saving you money, & have them graded for the cost of shipping is a nice jesture.

Just be sure that you are buying these raw coins sight seen or from some one you trust.....even then there is no guarantee the coins will grade the grade you bought them for......I know! image

centmaster.....are you sure you can get free gradig on 2 different sets that use the same coins?
    Heck, I'll start creating mint sets, proof sets, variety sets, non-variety sets, etc.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    You can use them for regardes as well so even if you are using them for additions to a set you could also include regrades.
  • Options

<< <i>You can use them for regardes as well so even if you are using them for additions to a set you could also include regrades. >>

These free submissions are for coins within your set that are either "raw" or graded by another grading service that you would like to "crossover."

Sounds like you'll need to crack them out for regrades.

Leo