Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Coin is rotated in my PCGS slab. Why??

Why are some coins rotated inside their slabs? image This looks funny to me. Can someone please
explain this to a newbie?

RegistryNut

Comments

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Why are some coins rotated inside their slabs? image This looks funny to me. Can someone please
    explain this to a newbie?

RegistryNut >>

Loose fitting.
  • Options
    In the first generation slabs (aka "rattlers") the coins were so loose that you could tap the slab on a table top and rotate the coin to any position. In the newer slabs (green label and blue label) the coins are held much more securely so chances are that any misalignment is due to the coin being put in the slab that way.

I have several new PCGS slabs where he coin is 10-20 degrees off line and it will not budge in the holder. If it really bugs you, PCGS will reholder them for I believe, $5.00 each.

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Actually they can still be rotated by gently holding the slab ot the opposite corner and tapping rapidly and lightly against a hard surface. I have put a slab in the freezer for 10 minutes and found that it loosens up the coin easily as well, so then you can realign it.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the first generation slabs (aka "rattlers") the coins were so loose that you could tap the slab on a table top and rotate the coin to any position. In the newer slabs (green label and blue label) the coins are held much more securely so chances are that any misalignment is due to the coin being put in the slab that way.

I have several new PCGS slabs where he coin is 10-20 degrees off line and it will not budge in the holder. If it really bugs you, PCGS will reholder them for I believe, $5.00 each.

Mike >>

One of them must be the 1940 I sold you last year?? I tried everything to turn it back, but nothing workedimage

Dennis
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1806/inverted 6 in a blue label holder that was rotated 90 degrees. I tapped it lightly on edge using a piece of soft wood (Douglas Fir), it took probably 200 taps, but I got it back in place. The coin is weighted heavier on one side, as early planchets were not perfect, and the coin will work its way out of position with even slight movement over time. A few taps and its back in place.

A smaller, lighter coin is probably more difficult to reset. If it was slabbed crooked you may not be able to reset it.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I just got a 25-d Lincoln back from pcgs last week, and it is about 20% degrees rotated. Boy that annoys me. How can I trust them to grade my coins correctly when they can't even put them in the holder correctly. image
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses.image Seems to me that the grading companies will eliminate the problem of rotated
    coins especially if we continue to show our displeasure. I would think a coin slab should be 100%
    professional. Any rotated coin should embarrass a grading company.

RegistryNut
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Ultrasonic vibrations...you know....the butterfly effect.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.