Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Where to sell potentially high $ graded card

Just looking for some opinions here. If you have a early 70s's PSA 10 superstar card that you believe has the potential to draw some interest & sell for very good money, would you just use EBay or try one of the auction houses? Which one if so? Don't think it's big enough for MastroNet's attention. Has anyone had experience selling through one of the catalog houses?

Comments

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Need to factor in the 15 or 17.5% commission you would pay with an auction house. If your item is expensive maybe over 5K, they might reduce reduce your commission to 10%. I just pulled 5K out, I am not quite sure at what level they would reduce the commision. Just ask them, all they can say is no. Ebay commission might run you 3-4%. What were you thinking of consigning?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just looking for some opinions here. If you have a early 70s's PSA 10 superstar card ....... >>

I think an early 70's superstar HOF PSA 10 will generate enough interest on EBAY. Do you have the Population of the specific card? Check the set registies of the particular set and see how many of the set regisrty leaders have the card in a PSA 10. (lmayer is always good for a nice bid on PSA 10's)
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I just consigned some items to Mile High and they game me a very attractive selling rate. Much lower than anyone in the industry and Brian's auctions always seem to bring good results.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>I just consigned some items to Mile High and they game me a very attractive selling rate. Much lower than anyone in the industry and Brian's auctions always seem to bring good results. >>

"Much lower than anyone in the industry "
    haven't you received a percentage of the BUYERS FEE yet?
    you shouldn't speak for "the industry" if you havent.
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    Is it Football or Baseball? For football, I know someone who has help me dump all my '70's PSA 10's for killer prices. It didn't cost me 10% either. Baseball, I have no clue..
  • Options

<< <i>Is it Football or Baseball? For football, I know someone who has help me dump all my '70's PSA 10's for killer prices. It didn't cost me 10% either. Baseball, I have no clue.. >>

Mastronet or Ebay. Start the Ebay auction at a price you are happy with and if not taken, reconsider and list with an "auction" company.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    You can also do a fixed price aution on eBay like the ('34 Goudey?) set Vargha did a few months back.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    That "PSA 9" Colavito is a travesty, unbelievable bad grade.

• Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    For a card like that, go with ebay. Why pay the incredible consignment fees and wait forever to get your money from one of the auction houses? This is the type of card that would get as much exposure on ebay as with any major auction house so you should not have to share your money.
  • Options
    PC, Please explain further on your response.

I have consigned through most of the top auction houses, Mastro's, Superior, Robert Edwards, Lelands to name just a few and Brian with Mile High is very competitive (and in my case lower) with his sellers commision rates. As for the buyers commision Brian's are standard with the industry - 15%.
  • Options
    When an auction house collects 15% from the consignor and 15% from the winning bidder, that's a pretty large fee for pretty much doing the exact same thing you could do on EBAY. If you have some significant items you might be able to negotiate the 15% consignor's fee down to ZERO. If you have a really significant item you might be able to negotiate to get part of the 15% the auction house collects from the buyer. Find out the other auction house your guy hates the most and threaten to give your items to them. After all, collecting only 10% from the buyer on a $10,000 sale is better than collecting nothing at all.
  • Options
    Order of preference:

1. Private sale - post it on this board and as many other boards that you can think of. No fees or commissions to deal with.
    2. eBay - less upfront and less out the door in terms of costs and commissions
    3. Major auction house - If it's a popular enough of a card, you'll end up getting what you would've gotten on eBay after all is said and done. Plus, you have to be patient on this since it'll be a while before you see your payment.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Auction houses do seem to get some amazing prices, but I guess unless it's something really old or exceptional, EBay is still the way to go..at least that seems to be the concensus.
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743

<< <i>PC, Please explain further on your response.

I have consigned through most of the top auction houses, Mastro's, Superior, Robert Edwards, Lelands to name just a few and Brian with Mile High is very competitive (and in my case lower) with his sellers commision rates. As for the buyers commision Brian's are standard with the industry - 15%. >>

you can receive a percentage of the BUYERS FEE with consignments that are
    considered extremely desirable and i have also consigned with zero seller's fee
    at a couple of the most known internet auction sites ( houses ) .
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I've never gotten a piece of the buyers fee, but I've had 0%.