Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What should be my new set??

I tried high grade MS morgans and quit because prices were just out of this world and I was unable to build any kind of "significant collection."

I want to collect something -- but I want to be able to afford most if not all of the entire run.

what??

the kids are out of college and on their own, the alimony is finished, my side business is sold, ive got some spare cash...

need some ideas?

I was lucky when I was in the proof silver washingtons, but don't want to return there.

thanks and cheers, alan mendelson

Comments

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alan,

I've been confronting the same thing. I like to collect high quality stuff, but prices look really high to me for everything, even backwater and putatively under-collected series. I just can't see myself getting started in any new series in this market right now.

You might consider "just for fun" kind of collecting till things simmer down, looking in the mid-circ grades, or collecting for particular years, themes in the devices, etc.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    <--------- A very challenging but doable set. The silver 48 coin Roosevelt dimes set. There are a half
    a dozen stoppers in that set.

null
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Do your birth year. Its hard and fun.
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Alan,

I don't know what your interests are, but here's what I've turned to.

You can make the set as easy or as hard as you like, depending on the grades you chose. And, it's a short set that won't completely drain you financially if you decide to switch collecting gears, and move on to something else.

I've loved large cents as long as I've collected coins. About a year ago I started assembling this set. Hopefully I can finish it in a couple more.

The other suggestions are good ideas too. Family birth years are fun, and can be challenging as well.

Dan

• << <i>I tried high grade MS morgans and quit because prices were just out of this world and I was unable to build any kind of "significant collection."

I want to collect something -- but I want to be able to afford most if not all of the entire run.

what?? >>

A short set of MS Morgans would still be doable ... if you did the short set by mint as it is only five coins. The date set of Morgans would be a little more difficult but not as draining as the circulation strike set of Morgans w/o varieties.

As to the rest ... check for short sets in other denominations. I am looking at doing short sets for Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, and Walking Liberty Halves.

Steve
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • If you like Morgans, then the Proof Morgans are a doable set. One third the number of coins as the MS and only the 1895 is your big ticket item. The 1895 is pretty abundant in all grades and really not a stopper.
  • FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    How about a #5 All Time Set of Late Date Jeffersons... it can be done... for less than 20K.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • My Lincoln wheat Registry Set is on hold due to astronomical prices. So, I bought a Dansco US Type album (#7070) and am having a blast filling it! Most are EF/AU, especially the early ones, but what a neat set (and challenge!) I never owned a half-dime before! Or a two-cent piece! Or a twenty cent piece! etc., etc.....

Give it a try - most are reasonably priced in the lower grades with the exception of the really early types, but you can still build a nice looking set for a lot fewer dollars than an MS Morgan set (or MS RD Lincoln wheats for that matter!)

Mike

Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Try Peace Dollars, the 28, 21, and 34-S can be expensive in high grades, but the set is small/inexpensive compared to Morgans.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Mint state barber halves. Pick the grade. A real challenge and much rarer than morgans.
    Dr. Pete
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Any of the proof Barber series. I think quarters are a particularly good value.

Liberty nickels in mint state, or even proof are dynamite.

The with legend or with motto proof seated dimes, quarters, or halves. Again, dynamite value.

2c pieces. Very short, very collectible, great value.

3CN in mint state seem doable.

1/2c, either the classic head, braided or both.

DAMs idea looks good as well.

Any of above would be great, my favorite is mint state Liberty nickels. I don't like the value of most classic (Peace, Walkers, Mercs, Buffs, SLQ, wheats, Saints, etc) 20th century sets these days.

Greg

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    I have done quite a bit of research, and I humbly suggest many series of pcgs ms and pr modern gold and platinum.

The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $5, Circulation Strikes (1986-present) 70.00 5.00% 2.06
    The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $5, Proof (1988-present) 70.00 41.18% 27.22
    The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $10, Circulation Strikes (1986-present) 70.00 10.00% 4.67
    The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $10, Proof (1988-present) 70.00 58.82% 44.07
    The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $25, Circulation Strikes (1986-present) 70.00 21.05% 16.28
    The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $25, Proof (1987-present) 70.00 55.56% 38.89
    The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $50, Circulation Strikes (1986-present) 70.00 26.32% 18.42
    The Heller Collection Gold Eagles $50, Proof (1986-present) 70.00 21.05% 12.17
    The Heller Collection Silver & Gold Eagles Complete Set, Circulation Strikes (1986-Present) 70.00 11.34% 7.68
    The Heller Collection Silver & Gold Eagles Complete Set, Proof (1986-Present) 70.00 34.07% 24.08
    The Heller Collection Platinum Eagles $10, Circulation Strikes (1997-present) 69.13 100.00% 69.13
    The Heller Collection Platinum Eagles $25, Circulation Strikes (1997-present) 69.50 100.00% 69.50
    The Heller Collection Platinum Eagles $25, Proof (1997-present) 70.00 75.00% 52.50
    The Heller Collection Platinum Eagles $100, Circulation Strikes (1997-present) 69.38 100.00% 69.38
    The Heller Collection Platinum Eagles $100, Proof (1997-present) 70.00 62.50% 43.75
    The Heller Collection Platinum Eagles Complete Set, Circulation Strikes (1997-Present) 69.31 50.00% 34.66
    The Heller Collection Platinum Eagles Complete Set, Proof (1997-Present) 70.00 34.38% 24.06
  • Birth year sets are cool, or go back 100 years if you want more of a challenge. I'm
    working on a 1963 DCAM set for myself. An 1863 proof set would be very complimentary
    to this!

There are always type sets. I'm going to try to put together a great MS toned nickel type
    set over the next few years, trying to only select exquisite examples. I should end up
    with two Shield nickels (rays, no rays), two Liberty nickels (no cents, cents), two Buffalo
    nickels (T1, T2) and several Jeffersons (Rev '38, Rev '40, War).

How about Proof Buffalos, Mercury dimes, or Walkers? These are all short sets that
    are beautiful, desirable and obtainable.

Good luck with whatever you choose! image

Ken
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Do a run of Peace $1 in 64 or better -- and try to do either all white or all nice color. It'll be challenging, a lot of fun (and frustrating at times) and affordable if you stick to trying to get the key's in 64 and others better.

JMHO image
  • Kennedys in mint state and proof.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do your birth year. Its hard and fun. >>

Yeah....Brian is just suckering you in like I was.....I did the birthyear thing...but, I ended up having to share it with Brian and he is kicking my butt image
    Seriously though (well, he IS seriously kicking my butt with that full-stepper he made), do birthyear sets for yourself, your wife if it interests her, and your kids/grandkids.

Kinda fun and nifty to do.

Then, depending on whether you do "moderns" or not, you could do the Ikes....not easy, but doable. You could also do Sacagaweas (much more affordable).
    Maybe the Jefferson series if it interests you...just realize that FS could make it impossible/uber-expensive if you went that path....

I've found that, due to eyesight, I don't like to do "small" coins (dime/half-dimes)....I've also just discovered my aversion to all but RD lincolns and the reason why (I am partially color-blind, I think that leads to the fact that I can't clearly/easily see (even with a louple) details on dark chocolate like coins (like a lot of BN lincolns).
    So, know your limitations before you decide. I am glad I did not embark on a lincoln set because I would not enjoy the BN lincolns...and I know that now (just figured this part out a week ago image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the varieties in your favorite series. It's a good way to keep your interests alive, and stay within your series. I've been doing this for a while now with Proof Lincolns while I wait for the occaisional coin that will upgrade my completed set.

Doug
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    1804 Dollars by variety. There's there different!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Greg has the right idea, especially in the current market. Go with something that combines rarity, beauty, and VALUE - a series that relatively few people collect. If I were starting off fresh right now, and just HAD to get my coin-buying fix, my choices would be a MS date set of any of the Barber series, or a MS set of the various types of any denomination of Seated coins. I like Greg's suggestion of braided hair half cents, too, particularly in a combination of RB and RD grades. These are coins that are most likely to be held for a longer term by serious (well-heeled) collectors, and IMO are less likely to suffer if the market for more abundant later date coinage undergoes a "correction". We've already seen some adjustments to common date Washingtons in high grade, and also late-date Walkers. You have to wonder if the market has peaked, or is just taking a breather. If I'm going to buy anything now, it's got to be something I believe will hold it's value over time.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Short or mid set of merc dimes..

or a type set. maybe 20th century.

I have been collecting type coins for a long time,and someday I will put them in a registry set,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • COMMEMORATIVES.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How bout an O mint set of Morgans or an S mint run or a P mint run; the 94P mite be a little tougher but doable.
  • StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Indian Head Cents
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Alan,

I was into Lincolns as a novis. I got into certified Morgans. I got to 22 different ones and noticed the collection was worth more than my car. I looked at where I was at and where I wanted to go with the collection. The set that I wanted to build was way beyond what I could realisticly afford. So I sold those and went back to my first numismatic love, lincolns. Well, when I sold out, their value was over 2x of that where the Morgans was.

Bottom line, you'll probably collect where your budget will allow reguardless of series. If you want something that's a little more completable, you might concider a shorter series.

David