Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ouch Found Two Fake Cameo's In my registry set

BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
I went thru my Registry set looking for the #. Russ Posted And Bam there it Is #21037558 a 1959 pr67 cameo

So i went to the Bank to get it and started looking at all my Proofs And BAM there is another but the cert # is way Different #21031819 1954 pr67 cameo

Ok David Time to Let us Know Should we look at every proof We Have ?

What other cert # Should we look for?

Comments

• Options
    Yikes!! Mine are okay!!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Dave: I'm sorry to hear about some of your coins perhaps being altered cameos.

Would you please provide some more background including a link to the original thread for those of us who are not yet familiar with this so that we can ctach up on what's being discussed.

Are these altered cameos acid etched?? I've heard of that happening with Morgan Dollars, but until now I have not heard of any fakes making it through either of the top 2 grading services.

Thanks in advance for your reply to help educate the rest of us.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And BAM there is another but the cert # is way Different #21031819 >>

Looks like the same time period, though. Bar code on the back?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Would you please provide some more background including a link to the original thread >>

I've posted several about these coins. I just bumped the most recent.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Dave,

The 1959 is obviously bogus, but I'm not so sure about the 1954.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Russ! Sorry that I missed the original thread which you posted, but I'll read it carefully this time.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    Russ

Bar codes on Back of Both

The 54 is not as bad as the 59 But it is bleding all the same i just did not get a good picture Yet

• Options
    You can see the Blue in the Fields

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a 1954 Jefferson in 67 dcam that was bought back by PCGS under the terms of the grading guarantee. It exhibited the same blue haze on the devices as the coins posted in the forum the last few weeks. I bought the coin in June 2002, but I don't remember the holder type.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Ok what do i do Now? i have asked on the Q and A Forum And Get no response .. so do I put them on Ebay $5000 each or what..
  • Options

<< <i>i have asked on the Q and A Forum And Get no response .. >>

When did you ask? Questions are only answered once a week - usually on Tuesday evenings.

If you wanted to know what to do, it's simple. Send them to PCGS as a regrade and note "Grade guarantee submission, artificial frost" on the form. They will compensate you market value or replace them, and credit you the submission fees and shipping.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Bump because this is more interesting than WANNABES. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Well, after reading some of these threads years ago I became suspicious of one of my SMS cameo quarters. However, George has been locked in the dank dark safe deposit box for 5 years with neither parole nor congigal visits.... until today.

George has been examined, and I am near certain he was artificially frosted. Clear bleed into the fields...

Next show PCGS and I am both at, George will go for a paint stripping.... or slab removal....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Itsjustme. Hopefully things will work out right. Photos?
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    So what's the story behind this? PCGS unknowingly certified coins that were artificially frosted? Sounds like something the experts at PCGS would never let slip through...
  • Options
    PCGS would never knowingly grade artificially frosted coins. And I would never buy one either - in a holder or raw.

But these coins were expertly done. They looked very natural at the time of submission and subsequent sale to unknowing customers (myself included).

But over time, a blue haze developed on the artificially frosted surfaces and the haze 'bled' into the fields. At that point it was obvious the coins had been tampered with. The coins I had exhibited some original frost - they were then "helped" by the artificial frost to make dcams.

PCGS knows who submitted the coins and has put a stop to that source. I have not seen more enter the marketplace in a long time. In my case, PCGS made me whole on the coins I had - they stood behind their product and, as a result, have a customer for life.

For those that like pics, here is one of a quarter with artificial frost. It looked much more natural when graded and purchased:

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics and I'm glad to hear about the buy back by PCGS.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    In my case it was a 1967 SMS Washington. I am 99% certain it is tampered with. I doubt I paid anything over $100 for the coin. I hope to hand it across the table at the next big show and have a refund/replacement coin provided.

Again, I do not think these are new coins entering the market. I think I bought this in the 2002 - 2004 time frame... with a check of my records I can get the date, price and seller (who might or might not be the tamperer).

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info - now, I have to check out my
    proof cameo Washington set. Most of the 1950's
    are CAM's.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I still Have mine they offered me 1/10 of what i paid ,
    I just looked and all the blue has faded it is no longer even a cameo at all,
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The buck has to stop somewhere. Who'd you buy the coin from ? Let's do some sleuthing.
    Who got it into plastic ? There are some good doctors out there.
  • Options
    I bought from a very good dealer here , and back then he offered my money back,
    But He is NOT the one who did this so i will not mention his name.
    Pcgs Knows who did it already.
  • Options

<< <i>I bought from a very good dealer here , and back then he offered my money back,
    But He is NOT the one who did this so i will not mention his name.
    Pcgs Knows who did it already. >>

I agree - PCGS knows who did it and the certs that may be affected. The three coins I had problems with were probably certified in early 2002 or so.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still Have mine they offered me 1/10 of what i paid ,
    I just looked and all the blue has faded it is no longer even a cameo at all, >>

Dave: How did their offer compare to what their Price Guide says?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Back then they offered $12
  • Options

<< <i>Back then they offered $12 >>

$12 bucks back then is like $13 dollars today...I would have taken the money and ran.....I have kids to put through college image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Just to present a different side of the picture, not all "bleeding" cameo's are artificially frosted.

This 1972 Kennedy is still in the untampered proof packaging:

Most cameo's produced by the US Mint, at least from the early 70's, are artificial cameo's produced by sand blasting the dies and then lapping the fields to a mirror like finish. Sometimes, things just seem to go wrong.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I remember maybe 10-15 years ago there was a guy who was heavy into promoting cameos. I mean HEAVY -- like weekly full-page ads in Parade magazine and such.

And of course he had these amazing can't-miss investment opportunities for sale.

I wonder to what extent this gentleman may be involved with all the bogus cameos that seem to be popping up?
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file