Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Shipping Insurance???

I recently just bought a semi valuable card from a guy on eBay (1968 Bench RC PSA 7). The guy has a nice feedback of 260 positives and 1 negative. I was just about to pay when I noticed insurance was not an option. I emailed him asking if I could include a couple bucks for insurance and have yet to hear back from him. My question is this....

Do most of you pay for insurance when purchasing cards? Are you stuck if you don't? If the card doesn't arrive safely are you protected by paypal, ebay, credit card, etc? I know if you pay for insurance and the seller doesn't package the item properly, the post office won't cover anyway.

I'm sure all will be fine in my transaction but it just got me to thinking, "what if"...... Thanks for the help.

Comments

• SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    As an ebay seller, sometimes I just plain forget to add the insurance info. If its a fragile item, I'll let the buyer know that its available.
  • athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I almost never get insurance, It really only protects the seller. If you pay with paypal and the card never arrives the burdon is on the seller to prove the card was delivered. If they cannot, Paypal will reverse the charge. Also, if the Paypal buyer protction logo was in the listing your already covered for up to $1000.

If all that were to somehow fail there is still eBay's standard protection policy which is good for $250 minus a $25 fee.
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Well, here's our postal system at work. It's rare, but it happens. And I have NO idea how a sledgehammer blow reaches a particular bubble envelope that's stuffed in a bag with hundreds of other bubble envelopes and boxes. I'm including this in a separate post to see if anyone knows how this happens.

• I just purchased a card a few days ago that was 1,000+. I made sure that the seller had the paypal buyer protection logo and that he offered shipping insurance. Those are two things I have started to look for when buying anything over 100 dollars. I've learned my lesson the hard way, though it was over a fake card and not the lack of anything mentioned.
    Ryan