Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Varieties of 1805 draped bust quarters

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Quarter dollars dated 1805 were minted in five die varieties for a total of 121,394 coins.

The 4 obverse and 4 reverse dies were prepared by hand and differ to the naked eye in the spacing and orientation of the date, letters, stars, denomination, etc.

Browning-1:
imageimage

Note that on the somewhat scarce B-1, the 5 in the date barely touches the bust, and note the relative spaces between the first star and the hair, and the last star and the drapery, and on the reverse, and note that the D touches the third feather of the wing, and see the spacing of the C. to the tail, and compare to the next sets of dies.

Browning-2:
imageimage

The B-2 typically has a weak right side of the R in Liberty, and a noticeable gap in the dentils above the E in States. Here the C touches the eagle's tail. This is a slightly scarce die marriage. note defects at the feet of some of the letters and numbers, and compare and contrast with next

Browning-3:
imageimage

the B-3 is the most common variety, if you can call any 1805 quarter "common", with probably less than 1000 extant in all conditions. Anyway the B-3 often has a weak E, and the obverse die shows several cracks in the later die states, along with heavy clash marks. this is the same reverse as the B-2 with the gap above the E.

Browning-4:
imageimage

the fairly scarce B-4 has the 1 in the date very low and the 5 not touching the bust, and the gap between stars 1 and the bust is much larger than the small space between the last star and the drapery. Interestingly, here the C crowds the eagle's tail, overlapping the first and touching the second feather, while there is a larger space between the D in United and the fourth (not 3rd) feather in the left (facing, eagle's right) wing. Further, this obverse die was still in good enough condition after new year's day that they used (due to scarcity of die steel) the unusual process of reannealing the obverse and punching a 6 over the 5 in the date, creating one of the most obvious overdates in US coins, the 1806/5 B-1 quarter.

Browning-5

The rare B-5 uses the obverse of B-1 with a new reverse similar to reverse B but with a gap in the dentils over the I in America.

if anyone has a nice 1806/5 to show, or show any draped bust quarter you may have!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My toddler daughter totally approves; after each pic loaded, she said "More?"

Awesome set!
    mirabela
  • Options
    Mirabela, your child shows obvious taste and good breeding, to be already developing a fondness for 200 year old quarters. image

• Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    Yum! I like the Browning 3 the best. What's the rarity factor of these?
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! Now that's what I wannabe looking at. Nice coins. Thanks for sharing.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't got one currently, but I wannabe collecting these babies some day -- by die marriage, of course!

Nice thread, Baley!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bailey, nice sellection. Here is an 06 for you. B-2.

imageimage
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Just think, when those were minted or struck Thomas Jefferson was the President of the United States. Not often a commoner is able to reach back that far into history and touch an item.
    Retired USAF 1979 - 1999 ~ F-4 & A-10 Crew Chief/Logistics Planning
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I still gotta get me one some day. But I'd probably end up sooner or later posting a "Scan" which wouldn't be too
    cool on this board.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt for any bust lovers who actually go to bed at night instead of sitting in front of a computer.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Nice coins! Not knowing anything of real substance on this series, and throwing
    grade and rarity aside, I really like the original look of your Browning-4 example.

What history these old coins could tell!

Ken
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Hmmm..... for some reason I don't own any bust draped quarters at all... only halves...but I enjoy looking at yours though... image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

In the family collection, from Pinnacle:

.25 1806 NGC XF40
    Draped Bust, Browning-3, Rarity-1. "Perfect medium to deep grey with very even coloration. As is typical of this variety, the centers have a somewhat sunken appearance which gives the impression of more wear than there actually is. The surfaces and rims of this lovely example are nearly perfect with an absence of the circulation marks and/or mint-made defects often seen. An extremely undervalued type in comparison to other silver denominations of this era and an exciting, affordable coin that is getting ready to celebrate its 200th birthday sooner than you are."

Nice orginal look image

KJ
  • Options
    Those are some very nice 1806s! image

Here is another 1806 B-2, note the crowding of the tail, the C., and the A in AMERICA, and the flag of the 5 in 25 is buried in the arrow feathers

(also, note that the photo is wrong for the B-2 reverse in the latest Browning book revision image

• Options
    Does anyone have an example of the rare B-5 to show the board?

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have an example of the rare B-5 to show the board? >>

Sorry, no B-5. How about another B-2?

imageimage

I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's ugly, but it is a B-5:

Still negotiating with the seller on it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    Thanks Rich,
    Can you explain how we know it's an 1805, and a B-5 at that?

(btw, I agree with you on both counts image )

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Baley!! Now I can finally attribute my PCGS F-12. Great photos and text!image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Rich,
    Can you explain how we know it's an 1805, and a B-5 at that?

(btw, I agree with you on both counts ) >>

Obverse: Can see part of the top of the 5, plus L&I are very close, and B is in same alignment but separated from the I, plus L is distant from star 7.
    Reverse: Second S in STATES is over top of right side of cloud 4 (all other 1805's have the S further right), plus second T in STATES is over the top of left side of cloud 3 (all other 1805's have the T further right).

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I wish. I had two in inventory at one time and have owned another since (3 total), but they sell quickly. The best I ever had was a problem-free F-VF. I bought one on eBay back in the late 90s that was properly attributed, but sold for a scant $400.

I still think that it is underrated and should be R.6.
  • Options
    $400 for a F-VF, wow that's a low price now even for a common variety
    the B5 is a toughie, thanks for the pic and text, Rich.

I've upgraded a little bit from the first B-4 posted, this coin more closely matches the condition of the other 3.

imageimage

Moving on to 1806 varieties in the next thread, so any more 1805s to show, let 'em go!

DANG Mozin, that high grade example is gorgeous! image
    (please put me on the waiting list image )

• Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    This is quite interesting.....I was contacted by TobyOneKenobe on this thread, after he went and saw my original posting : 1805 25c

Kinda ecstatic as this is one of the better 1805's that I have seen that was still raw (albeit plugged) and in my price range....thought that it was a regular one and now I find out that it is a B-5 !!!

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Very nice find eyoung!

Low grade pieces are less frequently attributed than higher grade ones and can sometimes yield varieties worth a premium, even for "problem" coins.

adequate detail still remains on this coin, including all of the notable features of the B5; good coin for a numismatist to study.

the patch is not expert work but I believe above average and also worthy of closer examination

Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file