Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1976 Topps Thurman Munson PSA 10

This is a joke!I can'r believe these guys don't know how to snipe? If it tops a 1000 I am quiting collecting graded sportscards!Well maybe for a dayimage
Not 50 50 top 2 bottom?
Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

Comments

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    geez i wonder how much RBD has spent on his set if he doesnt snipe..

but in my opinion, that is one GREAT looking card.. you're certainly the 1976 expert, and i agree it does look just the slightest bit oc top to bottom.. but still great..
    ·p_A·
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    I am not saying it's not a great card but at that price it's not even close to worth it! rbdjr has spent in excess of 10 grand for his set but its not my money so he can due as he pleases. Munson is one of the tougher star/Yankees cards in the set so that might bring up the price but anything over 400 for a 10 and 150 for a 9 is too much in my opinion.
    Collector Focus

yeah i think i'd rather have a 9 than pay that much for a 10..
    ·p_A·
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Thurman's '76 card is his only Topps card where he sports a beard. Interesting fact.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I sold rbdjr 3 psa 10 commons for 150 each. also sold 2 psa 9 bonds rb 's for almost 200 each to him and girl maverick, another buyer that doesn't snipe. don't know if girlmaverick is still buying the yankees like crazy but if he is , this card could easily top 1000. I remember seeing a psa 8 77 yankees ws card go for 350 when he got involved.

jackstraw, I don't think you can do it, maybe for 3 hours but thats itimage

• << <i>don't know if girlmaverick is still buying the yankees like crazy but if he is , this card could easily top 1000. >>

girlmaverick is currently the high bidder. His new ID is "rufusnj". He's a deadbeat and he has been suspended from eBay for non-payment numerous times ("girlmaverick", "capt.kronos", etc).
  • DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>I sold rbdjr 3 psa 10 commons for 150 each. also sold 2 psa 9 bonds rb 's for almost 200 each to him and girl maverick, another buyer that doesn't snipe. don't know if girlmaverick is still buying the yankees like crazy but if he is , this card could easily top 1000. I remember seeing a psa 8 77 yankees ws card go for 350 when he got involved.

jackstraw, I don't think you can do it, maybe for 3 hours but thats itimage >>

For those that bash on PSA, it's stories like this that make me thankful that we have such a great company like PSA around. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    In other businesses, such methods of creating an artificial market solely for self-promotion (re: Registry) would be considered racketeering. But then again, some consumers fall for this and encourage such practices. If there weren't a Registry (or at least graded weights), do you think there would be more self-control or perhaps nothing would be different?
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    What's the POP on that card?
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>don't know if girlmaverick is still buying the yankees like crazy but if he is , this card could easily top 1000. >>

girlmaverick is currently the high bidder. His new ID is "rufusnj". He's a deadbeat and he has been suspended from eBay for non-payment numerous times ("girlmaverick", "capt.kronos", etc). >>

If you combine the feedback of rufusnj and girlmaverick (whether or not they are the same person) you will find 2 negative feedbacks in 550 transactions. (99.6%) That feedback does not qualify one as a "deadbeat"!!

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

anyone who is willing to pay 20X SMR and pay within a couple days on multiples of transactions is not a deadbeat in my book.

<< <i>What's the POP on that card? >>

2 10's
    61 9's NQ
    ·p_A·
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Buc,

People were paying high premiums before there ever was a registry.

While there are a couple of things that due to ego and such could go wrong with the idea of the registry, i think that by far it is a wonderful tool and a lot of fun.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>Buc,

People were paying high premiums before there ever was a registry.
    >>

I'm sure each of us know a few hundred collectors out there who were paying 100x guide for 1987 Topps and 1990 Donruss (insert 'junk' set) commons before PSA!

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i agree with packcollector. no problems with girlmaverick, rufus, etc...so far other than shipping cost complaints that were clearly stated.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
    I have had no problems with girlmavarick or rbdjr1. I am not bashing PSA I am bashing the bidders they need to learn how to snipe?
    I can't put my finger on it but something just does not look right with that particular card? Is it too bright or too big?
    Collector Focus

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, is that a beautiful card. I wish I could afford it. I didn't realize that was Munson's only card with a beard. Cool. That is definitely one of my all-time top ten 1976 cards. I have it in PSA 8 and the comparison is not even close.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That pic was obviously taken in Spring Training, Ft. Lauderdale then for the Yanks. No suprise to me that this would be Thurmans only card with a beard. George Steinbrenner does not allow it. My guess was that beard never made it to the regular season

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• I have had no problems that went unresolved with Capt. Kronos, d.kronos, Girlmaverick, rufusnj. His name is Andrew Deally. He retracts bids at an alarming rate. That is why eBay suspended him. He eventually has paid for every card he's purchased from me...it takes awhile sometimes...very emotional buyer.

dgf

P.S. Nice card. Nice 9 on a different day, however.
  • BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    It appears to have a clean front (no print marks)........
    I believe the 74 Deckle he is sporting a beard?Not a topps card but the 76 Hostess he has the beard .
    Collector Focus

• mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Five unique bidders are in at $500 or more. Incredible.
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
    Well here is number 2 of 3 and its already up over 600? 76 Munson
    Collector Focus

• gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have 100's of gem 76 Yankees and not 1 Munson in the lot.
  • for what its worth Wilco65 is known in hockey circles as part of the sheet cut gang out of BC Canada, Oregan, Washington that bought all the mastro sheets
    if they cut up that 76 reggie , they need to find a new techniqueimage
    I really like that Munson but I can't afford itimage Someday I guess? If it reaches a 1000 I am done collecting graded cards!Untill further notice.
    Collector Focus

• << <i>if they cut up that 76 reggie , they need to find a new technique >>

I've noticed they have been massaging there orders a little more with non sheet cuts along with the sheet cuts even on the 80's hockey

• << <i>

<< <i>if they cut up that 76 reggie , they need to find a new technique >>

I've noticed they have been massaging there orders a little more with non sheet cuts along with the sheet cuts even on the 80's hockey >>

Yup i've noticed that too . They even went to the extent of stating some 69 OPC hockey auctions a few weeks ago were from vending
    Maybe PSA should just stop grading OPC Hockey and Baseball? They did it with the Ralston,Nestles and Star. I find it hard that they can't tell the diffrence from a sheet cut Topps and/or OPC but if they are getting bye them then its time to hang it up!I was the submitter of alot of 81 OPC Hockey and was the one who got the 10 on the Bourque. The sheet thing was not as obvious in 1994 when I submitted them but would like to see it now. I remember there was a printers line running across the back. I bought the card raw in White Plains and was blown away by the centering on the front.
    Collector Focus

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Noticed lmayer bid 651 on that Munson, means it is worth at least a 1000!
    INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Collector Focus

• Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Gee, i wonder if this guy ever got his card from qc_broker. I'm still waiting for two e-mail replys i sent him over a week ago for when my card will be shipped since he has already been paid by me. Nice to see though he has the time to make a bunch of high dollar bids on saturday(April 16th) but yet he can't send off a reply. I guess that new "baby" his wife had can't be taking up that much of his time.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Okay - that might just be one of the craziest bids I have ever seen. $1525! For a 1976 card of anyone!

And, I collect this set - I am not a 70's snob. But, this borders on insanity.
  • GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Bush:

Why dont you just repo the card lolimage

As for prices just go back to 2000 30g's for a jordan rookie 10. Pray a democrat doesn't hit town, false promises will rise and so will cards yeahhhh!

Gator
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bush:

Why dont you just repo the card lolimage

As for prices just go back to 2000 30g's for a jordan rookie 10. Pray a democrat doesn't hit town, false promises will rise and so will cards yeahhhh!

Gator >>

I think we've seen plenty of false promises under this admin. Whether it's repubs or dems next, let's just pray we get through these next three years.

<< <i>Gee, i wonder if this guy ever got his card from qc_broker. I'm still waiting for two e-mail replys i sent him over a week ago for when my card will be shipped since he has already been paid by me. Nice to see though he has the time to make a bunch of high dollar bids on saturday(April 16th) but yet he can't send off a reply. I guess that new "baby" his wife had can't be taking up that much of his time. >>

what the hell are you talking about now? i just re-read this thread and unless i missed something, how does your post apply to this thread?
    ·p_A·