Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jeff GUYS!!!! I made a 68-D in 64FS!!!! POP1 !!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    You must be mistaken ... that date does not exist in FS. image Hearty congrats! image
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I would love to see photos. Congrats!!!!!!!
    Mark
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

WOW!!!! What a submission. This only happens in my dreams!!! Way to go!!!! Your gonna have to sell the nickel to pay the eye dr after all those mint set tho, I know your just havin to image to get them to realign and focus on things image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    YOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suck
    YOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suckYOU SUCKyou suck
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Great job!!!!

<< <i>$30K? >>

<< <i>I would be afraid to keep it in my collection. I would be worried that someone would make another and then it would plummet to $10K >>

I'd have to agree. Although its nice to be top in the registry I think I'd sell it off to some rich fool while the gettin is good. That's a lot of peso's.
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am amazed.

Heck I never thought there would ever be one 1968 1c in MS-67RD let alone 11 of them!

The same thing with the nickels of 1968.

That was Oreville's rule #37: 1968 as the year in which the US Mint made only ultra high relief coins.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    That's not just something the Jeff guys would envy. That's a feat any collector can appreciate. Congrats and way to go!!!!!!
    Thumbs way up!!! You suck big time!
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    So what kinda steps are we talkin here? I saw in another thread that about 8 or 9 from the same consecutive set were 6-6-4-6. Is your FS 6-6-5-6? 6-6-6-6? other?
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>So what kinda steps are we talkin here? I saw in another thread that about 8 or 9 from the same consecutive set were 6-6-4-6. Is your FS 6-6-5-6? 6-6-6-6? other? >>

My quote was bad, I went through my coins again last night, to double check, and I only have 1 6646 coin and 3 others that are 66(2-3)6. This coin that got the FS is a 6656. I do have a 6656 that has a large nick in the upper left quad that hits (very well I might add) 3 steps and would preclude the designation. A big thing with these are the planchet flaws that can ruin the steps as well. This FS coin is clean as a whistle, no bridges, nicks, or planchet flaws, however under the 3rd pillar is does get weak on the 5th step, complete, but weak.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really a 6656? Oh wait that is a nicked 6656 but what about the 6646 and the 3 others that are 66(2-3)6? What is holding them back from the 6656 or a full 6636? For taht matter what is holding the 6656 from being a full 6666? Not that the devil might not want to know?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Really a 6656? Oh wait that is a nicked 6656 but what about the 6646 and the 3 others that are 66(2-3)6? What is holding them back from the 6656 or a full 6636? For taht matter what is holding the 6656 from being a full 6666? Not that the devil might not want to know? >>

The coin that went FS is a 6656, and I have a nicked 6656 as well, but the 5th step is stronger (technically because it is nicked it can't be a 6656 but I think you know what I mean). The 6646 is ohhh so close, but that 5th step under the piller just fades away and then reappears. It is just not there. With the 68-D and the 68-S they both suffer the same type of weakness and you can get a good portion of the 6th step on many non 5FS coins. I have a 68-S in MS65FS that has 6 complete steps. Once you get the 5th step the 6th is almost there on any of these in FS and most FS coins from 1968 are near 6 step coins. These are not like other dates from the 50's or 40's with even strike pressure with 5555 full steps and thus they are much harder becasue you need to find a dang near 6 step coin to get 5fs designation and the strikes stink to begin with much less the worm master dies, pock marked planchets, etc. i wish my scanner did not stink so bad I could scan a coin and show you, it is like a mini wheel chair ramp. But this is only the near miss coins. most 68-D's that i have seen don't have 1 step much less two.

Cheers,

brian
  • Options
    Ok I found some images to illustrate this. These are very rare like this btw.

Here is my 6step 1968-S (PCGS MS65FS)

Here are the steps on a very nice 68-D. Note where the weakness is.

And here is a 1968-D 6646 coin.
  • Options
    Congrats!!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just found this thread, catching up from my trip. Way to go, Brian!!!

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I am resurrecting a two year old thread. But I regard this as a tremendous victory. I aspire to such things. Way to go.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Congratulations on your grades.imageimage
    Retired U.S. Army Paratrooper 1977- 1992 Served Proudly. 100% DAV
    All The Way - And Then Some
    I collect Modern Commemoratives
    and anything Franklin.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there has been another full step 68-D graded after two more years of all the "stephunters" searching. Makes you wonder what it would bring at auction after seeing the 60-D situation unfold since then.

Edited to add the thread about the fate of the 60-D.

1960-D Jefferson
  • Options
    My heart skipped two beats seeing this thread pop back up, I don't know if anyone has noticed but someone assaulted the 68-D's recently, there are more than 100 MS66's now. Way more damage than I ever did, I think I made 16 or so and thought that someone had just made another FS. Whomever just submitted all those coins sure gave it the college try. Ok I am now breathing again. I suspect that the 68-D would bring around $15K at auction if I ever decide to sell it. Everything is always for sale it just a matter of price, but the coin is a anchor in my 1968 set. BTW - its actually a very pretty 64. Nice purple color. the hits on the face are big, hence the grade but the purple color compensates.

• Options

<< <i>Here is the funny thing. I think PCGS was tight on that order LOL, really, I do. >>

I would agree, based on the fact that you didn't get a single MS68 on the dimes. The 68-D's come nice!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    That is a real keeper. Those FS Jeffs of the 50s and 60s are going to be the important rarities of the future for the clad era. Great potential in that piece. Congrats!
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file