Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. mint roll of Sac dollars. What year?

I have a $25 roll of Sac Dollars from the mint. Both of the end coins are showing the tails side. This is too funny. I can't remember when I bought them so the only way to know what year they are is to break the roll open. Do I want to do that or keep the roll intact?
jdp

Comments

• Options
    Lord - I thought I was the only one that did that. I have one too. It's irritating! I think mine may be 00 or 01? just dunno. I am not going to open tho.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder why the mint doesn't put the date on the rolls.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    Always keep the mystery.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    image That really stinks! Don't they say what year they are in the wrapper? Lol.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    You can carefully unwrap just one end using a toothpick, and then shake one coin out and turn it around and close it back up again. If you're patient, and have decent dexterity, you can make it a heads/tails roll, and close it back up so you really can't tell it was ever opened. Then you'll know your date anyway.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    You can carefully unwrap just one end using a toothpick, and then shake one coin out and turn it around and close it back up again. If you're patient, and have decent dexterity, you can make it a heads/tails roll, and close it back up so you really can't tell it was ever opened. Then you'll know your date anyway. >>

So much for original mint rolls!
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a $25 roll of Sac Dollars from the mint. Both of the end coins are showing the tails side. This is too funny. >>

Statistically, 25% of all rolls will be tails-tails. I'd bust it open. It's not worth anything to anybody if you don't know what year it is. Well, except for $25, that is.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odds are good that if you don't remember the date then they are '00's.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    As a mint wrapped roll it will always have a premium. As a hand full of dollars it is worth $25.

Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    That really stinks! Don't they say what year they are in the wrapper? Lol.

No, not on the roll. That would make sense to put the date on the yellow wrapper but we are dealing with the government here so doing what makes sense would be an oxymoron.

jdp
  • Options
    Wait a minute!!

The date is on every roll!!!!!

If you look at the picture of the Sac coin on the original US MINT rolls the date is on that coin!!!

How about that????!!!!!image
    (PAST) OWNER #1 SBA$ REGISTRY COLLECTOIN
  • Options
    I agree with DRG, Had the same problem with a mint wrapped roll, drove me crazy for a few months until I looked at the wrapper out of desperation with a loop...there it was right on the obv, very hard to notice with the naked eyeimage
    putting together a MS 60 and up Morgan set....60% complete...otlher 40% probably take the rest of the decade!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually the date is on the roll, but you need a magnifying glass to read it (unless you are part eagle).

Look at the image of the Sac on the mint wrapper, the date on the coin in that image is correct for the coins in the roll!!

Don't tear into it.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    While we are talking about the mint.

What I hate is the white boxes only have the mint 'code' and no reference to the coin inside.

I don't think it would have been do much trouble to put on the box ' 2005 buffalo nickel' or ' 2005 CA qtr'

I have to put sticky's on my unopened boxes so I know what they are.
  • Options

If you look at the picture of the Sac coin on the original US MINT rolls the date is on that coin!!!

Mystery solved! They are 2000s

Thanks DRG

jdp
  • Options
    Say, I hate to 'bump' a really moldy-oldy thread, but did a quick search on here and found this one. Today I went to the bank and asked for a couple of rolls of Presidential dollars, got those, and then the teller said "Oh, I have a roll of older Sac's here too.....do you want them?" so I said sure, and took those as well. Turns out it is a mint roll of 2000-P coins. Is this of any collector value or am I better off to bust it open and spend them? The 'end' coins have toned a little, but the roll appears otherwise pristine.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what color is the wrapper?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wonder why the mint doesn't put the date on the rolls. >>

...i'm still trying to figure out WHY they put them on the EDGE!!!image

...OY! just realized i posted to an old thread. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>what color is the wrapper? >>

It is white with a medium grey lettering and roll-end motif.
  • Options
    wait for someone that knows for sure, but I thought the mint rolls from back then were gold and black.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>wait for someone that knows for sure, but I thought the mint rolls from back then were gold and black. >>

Could be. The end coins appear Unc. other than very slight toning, and the style of the wrapper is identical to that used on the Presidential dollars other than the color.....and there is no identification information other than "$25.00" and "DOLLARS". It looks like a mint wrapping job to me, but I confess to being pretty clueless. Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    It's just a standard roll.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>It's just a standard roll. >>

that's what I thought,,, might even be mixed with pres. and sba's too.
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    No they will be 2000-P or D Sac. In 2000 they also distributed the coins to the public thru the banks. I have a few of those rolls from 2000.
  • Options

<< <i>No they will be 2000-P or D Sac. In 2000 they also distributed the coins to the public thru the banks. I have a few of those rolls from 2000. >>

I'm inclined to believe that this is a roll of 2000-P coins. I got it from a local bank. They had a bunch of rolls of the new Presidential dollars and just this one of Sacs. The fact that the coins on both ends of the roll are mint-state with just slight toning leads me to think that. If it were a mixed roll I'm thinking that there wouldn't be that kind of uniformity on both ends, the odds would be against it. But I guess my original question is whether it is worth keeping/preserving as a roll, or not?
  • Options
    true, true

I'm back to getting someone with greysheets for pricing.

it's definitely not a mint wrapper, but a bank wrapped roll. dunno what the OBW's go for from then.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While we are talking about the mint.

What I hate is the white boxes only have the mint 'code' and no reference to the coin inside.

I don't think it would have been do much trouble to put on the box ' 2005 buffalo nickel' or ' 2005 CA qtr'

I have to put sticky's on my unopened boxes so I know what they are. >>

The only negative feedback I ever received was from a buyer of white mint boxes that I had put small computer printed labels on to indicate what was inside. Boy was he pi$$ed. He bought them for less than cost but still demanded I pay return shipping and refund is money. I reminded him to look at the pic in the listing that showed the lablels on the boxes.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    You can carefully unwrap just one end using a toothpick, and then shake one coin out and turn it around and close it back up again. If you're patient, and have decent dexterity, you can make it a heads/tails roll, and close it back up so you really can't tell it was ever opened. Then you'll know your date anyway. >>

So much for original mint rolls! >>

I want to buy OBW from you,image
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Am I the only one who saves the mint reciept that comes with the coins??
  • Options
    I can't imagine saving all those single wrapped rolls in all those boxes and have to store all those boxes.....image..I just think it's a waste on the mint's part that when you order a multiple ..that they send them in seperate boxes...image
    ......Larry........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file